Other 1993 Yamaha WR500 Teardown/Overhaul

Awesome Big D... This photo is pure perfection... and the reason I moved up here ! :rocker:

011-jpg.18517

SRAD97750

Staff member
OK, Sorry for the blurry photos and dirty motorcycle.

:thinking: I got these turn signal relays for LED turn signals from EL CHINA.
004.JPG

Hydraulic brake switches. They installed easy, and the switching is exactly where I would expect the light to come on. :thumb: Another china buy.
I don't like the one on the caliper, but for now that's how it must be. I have the stock banjo bolt in the backpack.
015.JPG

014.JPG

This dope mirror, I can install or remove in 10 seconds.
012.JPG

Sweet K&S Multi-Switch
Includes an off position for the headlights.
037.JPG

New turn signals from "exotic china", I thought they would be crap. Ended up being very nice. Taillight is also from china and a very compact design, very bright, and came with the license plate bracket. I don't expect it to last very long, but it's not meant for much off road.
031.JPG

I fabbed this thing up real nice!
033.JPG

035.JPG

Drilled holes for the fwd turn signals and mocked it up. I'm going to paint this hood white. The red was just a cheap primer I had lying around.
046.JPG

These things bend 90* with ease! :clap: Very rugged casing. I hope the electronics hold up.
047.JPG

A photoshopping of the headlight. Again, the hood will be white.
I'm getting the ADVMonster Flood and Spot light LED headlights. 7 CREE LEDS, Together a claimed 6300Lumens. With my headlamps on the helmet at 900 lumens each... This should be a potent night rider. I'll have to upgrade the taillight and whatever else can't handle the bump and tumble.
048.jpg

Wiring diagram I threw together in photoshop...:smirk:
Wiring Diagram.jpg

-BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
I was wondering have you ever had issues with it being air cooled?
Runs better and better, the hotter I get it. Never once has it pinged, probably due to the head mod I performed.
I don't have to think about topping off water, boiling over, hoses, pumps, coolant...
Also keeps this bike under 270lbs.:thumb:
I have been very happy with this bike as my primary ride for quite a few years now.

Runs better and better, the hotter I get it. Never once has it pinged, probably due to the head mod I performed.
I don't have to think about topping off water, boiling over, hoses, pumps, coolant...
I have been very happy with this bike as my primary ride for quite a few years now.
I always get nervous when my bike starts running better than normal, usually means it's bout to cost me money, but that build of yours is impressive, awesome job.

the big thing for me about air cooling is no crushed radiators, it isn't cheap when you destroy 2 sets a year.

the big thing for me about air cooling is no crushed radiators, it isn't cheap when you destroy 2 sets a year.
You know, I was pleasantly surprised by the "China" radiators I just got after tweaking one of mine. In the past I had replaced just one side and got one off of eBay. It was an OEM from a guy who was parting out a bike. Got the one side for $100. These rad's are "oversized" and are, from the outside at least, very well put together. 2 ride's so far and no issues. For $90.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YZF4...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a75896e8e&vxp=mtr

Glad I read this. Newer forks will pay off better than spending time with those. Now I won't feel bad about you working on that goldwing with storage dust!!