Other 1993 Yamaha WR500 Teardown/Overhaul

SRAD97750

Staff member
:thumb: Like the use of the "Cooler" and building that thing in the house so it stays clean..:smirk:
It's the only way she'll let me work in the living room, is if the parts are super clean!

thank jeebus its almost done! BTW you will regret getting the short seal savers, just wait :smirk:
We'll see... unless you care to elaborate on your experiences...

I have mixed feelings about the seal savers.... do they keep crap out or hold it in once it gets in???

Definitely out. And if you get some shaz in there, flip it back and clean it out. It's just a second wiper.

You don't run oem fork boot then?

fork boot?
Photo0100.jpg

Yeah, the oem rubber fork covers like I have.

they have little holes in them for air to go in, in dusty conditions those air holes suck in dust that sticks to the fork legs, and gets caught in the seals/wipers. I learned that when I had the XR250.
We'll see... unless you care to elaborate on your experiences...

See my earlier post.

I have a long set and have since before the east ride last year. I took them off over the winter, and they are completely spotless underneath and I dont trust the short ones, just an extra wiper and dirt trapper in my mind.

nope, but I'd be interested in seeing what comes of them in your rides, they will no doubt extend the life of your seals, but will they trap dirt that sticks to the fork leg and gets pulled back up under the seal savers?

I have never even had issues with oem fork boots on standard forks.... :noidea:...... or with cast pistons..... or scamsoil..... or many other taboos.

I have mixed feelings about the seal savers.... do they keep crap out or hold it in once it gets in???....
I've heard both sides so I never installed my set. :noidea:
they let finer stuff in, which is what will destroy a seal, although you can open them up when you wash the bike and wash them