250 1989 Yamaha YZ 250 For Dad

Not just dirt-bike thing, my utility four wheeler is on the left as wheel but Harley is on the right :noidea: must be a flavor of the week on which side it's on:thumb:

So back to the bike. Has pops rode it yet?
With all of the turn signal and bright light stuff on the left seems logical to put kill switch on the right to me.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Great pics and explanation Dan. You sure are good with that stuff. I bet your dad is proud. How about a finish pic with the guards and grips?
His Fat bars grow to larger than 1-1/8" so I am modifying the clamps to fit....

With all of the turn signal and bright light stuff on the left seems logical to put kill switch on the right to me.
It's the one and only switch on this bike... I'm considering moving it to the middle of the handle bars after all this location talk....

Has pops rode it yet?
He has. He took it really slow and said it was a blast. Got him standing up, and got him crashing face first in a sand corner. Awesome. He's ready for the next ride. -BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Are they Easton's? I have 1 3/8 Easton Bars
Renthal Twin Wall. They are 1-1/8 at the bend, but just inboard of the bar brace, they jump up to like +1-3/8."
If I can't get them to fit, I may either swap out his bars for 7/8"s, or find some clamps that fit. -BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Side note......Carb looks clean.
I thought so too. But the bike never ran right. Cleaned and fiddled and adjusted. Nothing. Just wouldn't rap out.
Swapped in the carburetor from the KDX200 (perfect fit) and the YZ ran perfect through the powerband. Carburetor issue solved. Get a new carburetor. :smirk: What can I say? I'm an A+P Mechanic... "remove and replace" is our nature.

So I got my hands on BK's little package. And I was impressed.:wink:

001.JPG

Thanks buddy, I hope your truck is nice and clean now... :naughty:
002.JPG

And BOOM goes the dynamite!
003.JPG

Also, my new light bulb, my new one. And a super cool blue anodized front brake reservoir cap.
006.JPG

THANKS BUDDY!!! Much appreciated!
Getting in to do some serious cleaning and measuring. I have a fresh top end gasket set as well.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

Something was just mashin' around in here at one point, but the problem has since been corrected. Both the head and the piston show damage. Makes no difference, everything else is in spec.
010.JPG

011.JPG

018.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

Lots of cleaning and measuring. And we'll throw it back together.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

I'd probably try to smooth out some of the larger gouges.

Most don't realize it, but carbs are wear items. On my XR I'm on the third one. What I've found is that before the whole carb is worn out the needle jet and more importantly the needle jet seat need to be replaced. When I removed it the brass seat was visibly oval.

Plenty of detonation happening in that cylinder Big Dan... Cut that bugger and find the cause... #1 cause according to my nikasil guy.... Piss poor gas the other being improper jetting.