250 1989 Yamaha YZ 250 For Dad

SRAD97750

Staff member
A dramatic swing of my father's health (and ultimately lifestyle) has had him thinking deeply about his future and famliy.
After intense deliberation and thoughtful preparation...
A DIRT BIKE WAS THE ANSWER!!! :wiggle::wiggle:
001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

038.JPG

He said he "wants to spend more time with his sons." :rolleyes: I think he just wants to RIPPPP ITTT!!!!
-BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Rattle can paint job on the frame. But it's thick... :picard:
Paid under $400, $177 DMV fees, "doesn't start," "needs clutch." He delivered to my doorstep!
020.JPG

021.JPG

024.JPG

Fresh gaskets, new vent tubes, and a clean engine holds up the "It's got like 5 hours on the new engine..." story I got from the seller.
025.JPG

Mikuni Flat slide carb.
030.JPG

031.JPG

032.JPG

No MUDFLAP :rant:
033.JPG

What kind of coolant is red? Last time I saw that It was a pontiac mini-van...
035.JPG

Sweet wiring bro... :picard:
036.JPG

Whoa! Where'd that go?
037.JPG

Sweet ATV 3-way brake/clutch lever turned single clutch. It actually has a really sweet pull... :shocked:
040.JPG

Some fairings the guy threw in!
041.JPG

Fairings are ok but have no hardware. The seat is recovered pretty good, but they used way too many staples... It works...
042.JPG

Little bit of work to do, but I think it'll be running with a few parts.
Grips, fork seals, possibly a set of clutch fibres, and the front master cylinder is frozen solid. Probably a direct replacement off ebay.
Stay Tuned! Clutch inspection tomorrow!

That's awesome Big Dan! My grandpa always wants to come out riding with us, unfortunately he can't walk anymore and needs a nurse. I know it kills my dad to not be able to do all the things he used to with his pops. ENJOY THE HEALTHY DAYS WITH YOUR POPS BIG DAN! I know I am. :rocker:

SIDE NOTE: this bike is gonna be sick

Yeah, My dad wouldn't have climbed on a bike when he was 18, much less now. But he would and still would climb into a 1200 horse rear wheel drive monster and take it to its limits in a qaurter mile.

One of the best times in my life was about the last year of mud racing. They had cancelled the race we went too, And told us we could run the pit for a test and tune or whatever we wanted. We talked my dad into running my truck. (Hes not did any kind of racing in about 30 years at this point, or ever drove my race truck)... He gets in i was in the passenger seat, And he ran the fastest pass there. I cried.. FYEAHMERICA..... End threadjack/

When we gonna get a fire up chooch?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Tore off the carb and cleaned it out. Pretty clean actually.

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

Reeds look really good and are nice and tight.
011.JPG

Slapped her back together.
013.JPG

014.JPG

Powervalve llinkage moves freely and springs back.
015.JPG

OOOHHHH, GLUG GLUG GLUG GLUG GLUG
017.JPG

Getting in DEEP to sort out the clutch issues.
020.JPG

Ball bearing is intact.
026.JPG

Fibres are in excellent condition.
027.JPG

028.JPG

Adjusted the cable and it disengages just fine now. We'll see once it starts.
029.JPG

Got her all back together, flushed and refilled coolant and oil. Cleaned the tank and added fresh fuel.
Pulled the spark plug and checked for spark. Excellent blue spark with just a light flip of the kick starter.