2 Stroke '11 250 XC-W setup advice.

First off, Happy New Years guys!:thumb:

I finally got to ride my new bike today... All I can say is WOW, what a piece of worthless KTM crap. JUST KIDDING!:P
I'm not sure where to even start about this bike.

Ok, I will start off with my riding background:
I am 15 years old, I race AA in a local AZ desert racing series and I have been on a 4t bike pretty much since I started riding, with the exception of a ktm 50. For those of you who know me, I'm not much of a KTM fan and never would have thought of getting a 2t KTM. The reason why I never was a big KTM fan was because from my racing experience and seeing the majority of the bikes that have mechanical troubles are KTMs. I have seen broken shift shafts, over heating, boiling gas, blown motors, transmission failure and a bunch of other things. And yes, a lot of that contributes to poor mantenance, but a lot of guys who have KTM's and are very anal about keeping bikes in shape, but they were still grenading.

When I was looking to get a new bike, I really wanted to get a light bike, still with good power. Pretty much, my options were a 11 kx250f, 11 250/300xc-w, 11 250xc, another kx450, but with EFI and few other bikes that I had in mind.

I made my desicion to go with the 250xc-w for MANY reasons:
1) It's so light!
2)E start
3) Wide ratio tranny
4) Wired for a head light so I can make it street legal and ride out from my house.
5)1 1/8 inch bars
6) Comes with an amazing owners manual
7) Comes with different power valve springs for a different power hit.
8) For the most part, mostly ready to ride (has the 3.04 gal tank, latteral reinforcment for the radiators and a bunch of other stuff)

The bad about the bike:
1) What's up the 2011 silencer not having a sparkarrestor?
2) No shark fin/disc guards?
3) Flag guards, really?
4) No real rad guards?
5? No Skid plate or pipe guard?

Summary/Overall:
At first, I was a little skeptical on the power and the reliability of the bike. But as I started putting some miles on it, I was starting to feel really comfortable with the bike. I could tell right off the bat that this was going to be a fun bike to ride and it won't wear me out in the races because it doesn't have the "rip your arms off" torque like the 450 and it's lighter. I was so tickled to have E start on this bike. Also, I'm not much of a stabilizer fan because I'm just used to having the bars move around alot, but damn, the front end of this bike is so light. It kicks around a lot. It won't take much to make this bike a solid race weapon, just jetting, suspension work, some more armor, do some some experimenting with the power valve springs. After today, I am convinced that this will be my next bike to win a championship. After all the crap I talk about KTM, I find myself to say that KTM has their act together for the most part. I'm starting to think it's safe to say that I will be changing my name to orangerider58 in the future if this bike holds up. I will post updates on the bike, what mods I do and what pro and cons I run into this bike. I would strongly recommend this bike of you are looking to have an awesome trail bike with competitive components that make this bike the top of its class.

If anyone has any questions, post em' up. I missed a lot of things about this bike because there is so much to list.

Thanks again guys for all the help, it was a great choice!:thumb::banana:

Michael

IMG_5569.jpg
IMG_5562.jpg

In the post above, the lights on the bike are the new Trail Tech LED system that are battery opporated, but i will have it wired to the battery soon enough. i just wanted to mount up the lights so i know everything works.

and here is one more picture.
IMG_5567.jpg

Sweet! Very nice, glad to have another convert. Told you there would be a bit of reading involved. KTM takes their bikes seriously.
Enjoy, that's a great bike!:thumb:

No worries! 2 strokes rule!
One bit of advice, learn how to describe what YOU are feeling and be able to share that with whoever ends up turning the wrenches. :prof:
Been there done that, got the t-shirt.
Trust is a wonderful thing. Knowledge is better.
Enjoy!!!

Well, I finally have 10hrs on the motor and wow! This motor can kick hard. Everyone has been telling me that I should have bought the 300. But to be honest, I am glad I went with the 250. I have all the power I want; just twist the throttle some more and your good to go and if I want torque, I can just hop on the 450.

The suspension is pretty nice. It will be nice to revalve and respring it though. I'm not too sure on how the rear shock compares to linkage and no linkage, but it feels pretty planted and firm.

I ordered a skid plate, FMF Q and stock headlight. I recieved the head light and thats it so far. It took me about 7 min to plug it in and get everything adjusted how I liked it. It still was projecting the light to far out, so I got a dried out pen, took the ink part out and just cut the tube in half, then just shoved it between the forks and headlight straps. Works perfect now, but man, not a very bright bulb. I haven't looked around yet on bulb options, but does anyone know what brighter bulb I can run? I deffinately see myself buying a Trail Tech or Baja Designs race light in the future and running a higher output stator, but I am content with the stock head light and helmet lights for now.

The last thing, I finally got around to wiring the helmet lights directly to the battery. What I have really come to love about this bike is that it is SO easy to take the tank off. I have to give KTM 5 gold stars on that one. Anyways, I just wired it under the seat and ran it along with the other wiring from the battery to the computer.

-Michael

Well, I finally have 10hrs on the motor and wow! This motor can kick hard. Everyone has been telling me that I should have bought the 300. But to be honest, I am glad I went with the 250. I have all the power I want; just twist the throttle some more and your good to go and if I want torque, I can just hop on the 450.

The suspension is pretty nice. It will be nice to revalve and respring it though. I'm not too sure on how the rear shock compares to linkage and no linkage, but it feels pretty planted and firm.

I ordered a skid plate, FMF Q and stock headlight. I recieved the head light and thats it so far. It took me about 7 min to plug it in and get everything adjusted how I liked it. It still was projecting the light to far out, so I got a dried out pen, took the ink part out and just cut the tube in half, then just shoved it between the forks and headlight straps. Works perfect now, but man, not a very bright bulb. I haven't looked around yet on bulb options, but does anyone know what brighter bulb I can run? I deffinately see myself buying a Trail Tech or Baja Designs race light in the future and running a higher output stator, but I am content with the stock head light and helmet lights for now.

The last thing, I finally got around to wiring the helmet lights directly to the battery. What I have really come to love about this bike is that it is SO easy to take the tank off. I have to give KTM 5 gold stars on that one. Anyways, I just wired it under the seat and ran it along with the other wiring from the battery to the computer.

-Michael

So I went out riding saturday... Ironically, I ended up shattering the bulb inside. Anyone know of a good bright bulb to run?

Thanks.

sicass racing has some bulbs that are brighter, and I have a kit that is real good from PMXTECH, it is raved about on KTMTALK. I like it as it gives 2-3 times the light of the stock bulb and hasnt blown yet in months of riding.

I figured I would give you guys an update.

Last weekend, the starter got toasted because it wouldn't disengauge. So the starter and flywheel are gone. Took it to the dealer today hoping we wouldnt have to argue about the warranty. Ended up, the guys never registered the bike for a warranty, so the 30 day warranty never started. So they are fixing the problem for free. Anyways, we are selling the bike. Anyone interested?