Timing dots lined up...
Have you checked with dial indicator that the piston is at TDC and the dots are lined up or off 2 degrees?

This was it! The stator plate came loose, the screws were almost completely out and timing was as far off as the slots would allow. Put the dots back together and used RED loctite this time instead of blue. took it for a spin and whoopdeedoo theres the snap I was hoping for :) I think the bike is running pretty good now. at least it pulls harder than the worn out 250 that was in there before.

On a side note, (just talking bs) I rode the bike to a so called performance shop nearby. the guys came out and looked at it, told them what issues I have been having, that it was slower than the 250 was. They told me the one guy was a 2 stroke racing legend in the early 90's and they know everything about them. They said my problem was because my rear sprocket (40t) is too small, and that the "snap" of the 250 could pull the taller gearing better, and that I needed a dynojet jetting kit for it. And that they could order both those parts for me that day and get my bike running great. Jokingly they said they should have charged 100 bucks for the information. I just said thank you for your time and rode off. amazing how they are still in business. I could be completely wrong and correct me if I am, but a 500 with more torque should be able to pull gears much taller than a 250. And if they can't tune the kehin thats in there, they have no hope with a dynojet kit either. enough ranting.

I just want to say thank you to everyone for your help along the way, and especially to you, Gary for reminding me of something I should have checked a long time ago. Noob does as noob is! After 16 years of riding I'm still one.

I got a kick out of reading this! Thanks for the laughs :P

I did use the Yamaha coil only because the kx coil didn't fit easily. I may throw it in someday to see if there's a change. I used the kx Cdi. The Yamaha carb and CDi are very bulky compared to the kx because of the tps. The yz250 carb does not fit because the carb boot is up higher than the 250's and the extra height of the 250 carb just hits the frame. Out of curiosity I'd like to try the Yamaha Cdi someday.

I'm definitely going to mess around with timing after I have jetting dialed in because I would like some more over rev. It's got lots of torque, but I'm not pullin stumps and I'm only 150 lbs. I'll make a banshee-grade revver out of this if it's the last thing I do! :P

Passed dmv inspection yesterday! Now to chp Tuesday for theft check, then I can say this is a legit swap!

aw man, what happened to dem titties!

Check out this shot of my plug chop: 69 degrees, sea level, 40:1 maxima 927, 168 main, 58 pilot, air screw 1.5 turns out, fresh filter, slightly overcast\foggy.

Got the bike warmed up for about 20 minutes, shut it down, pulled the plug, put a brand new one gapped to 22 thou (manual says 24 but Ive had better results with 22, does anyone possibly know why). Started it up, rode to the end of the block not at full throttle but pretty quick, turned around, wound it out to the top of 4th, pulled the clutch\hit the kill, coasted back to the toolbox, and this is the result. Not seeing a perfect 'ring' like I've seen on the internet. Also, since I'm doing this on roads (ahem in mexico) I didn't want to have it wound to the top of 5th for 1 mile at wot like I've read I need to. with my gearing thats like 120 lol. I don't know if this would lead to my test giving inaccurate results.

Let me make a guess before the experts tell me what the plug actually says: The motor is running slightly rich at wot based on the carbon deposits that have lightly covered the whole tip of the ceramic. I could go down 1 size on the main, but for safety, its probably best I stay with this size.

Alright guys, let me have it-what is going on in my engine!

IMG_1497_zpsdfev6fh0.jpg
IMG_1500_zps9npruitk.jpg

aw man, what happened to dem titties!

Check out this shot of my plug chop: 69 degrees, sea level, 40:1 maxima 927, 168 main, 58 pilot, air screw 1.5 turns out, fresh filter, slightly overcast\foggy.

Got the bike warmed up for about 20 minutes, shut it down, pulled the plug, put a brand new one gapped to 22 thou (manual says 24 but Ive had better results with 22, does anyone possibly know why). Started it up, rode to the end of the block not at full throttle but pretty quick, turned around, wound it out to the top of 4th, pulled the clutch\hit the kill, coasted back to the toolbox, and this is the result. Not seeing a perfect 'ring' like I've seen on the internet. Also, since I'm doing this on roads (ahem in mexico) I didn't want to have it wound to the top of 5th for 1 mile at wot like I've read I need to. with my gearing thats like 120 lol. I don't know if this would lead to my test giving inaccurate results.

Let me make a guess before the experts tell me what the plug actually says: The motor is running slightly rich at wot based on the carbon deposits that have lightly covered the whole tip of the ceramic. I could go down 1 size on the main, but for safety, its probably best I stay with this size.

Alright guys, let me have it-what is going on in my engine!

IMG_1497_zpsdfev6fh0.jpg
IMG_1500_zps9npruitk.jpg

That's awesome good job with the actual plug chop. :thumb:

Your fuel rich but oil lean. That bottom band should be darker and the upper tip lighter and over all more caramel. Run that same oil at 32:1 with the same jets as it appears to be spot on. Good job Scotty :thumb: