Gas Gas What type piston do u run??

which should i buy for my ec 300 ..vertex €140 ,,wossner €172,, prox €173 or wiseco is around €200 I was hoping not to be spending 200 but if I have to I will... because im in love with my bike and id starve before id see her neglected!! lol

Do you know how many hours on original pistion? Does it look and measure in spec?

On 2 strokes i replace piston and rings 95% of the time.

On 4strokes, if they measure and look good, I'd let them go alittle longer.

Thats just me though.

I didn't take the head or cylinder off yet because I don't have replacement gaskets..I was going to order them with the new piston

SRAD97750

Staff member
I didn't take the head or cylinder off yet because I don't have replacement gaskets..I was going to order them with the new piston
Have you spec'ed out the rings and piston yet? What leads you to believe it needs changing?
Just questions.... If the cylinder needs a bore you'll need a different piston than you would have ordered without "popping the top."
BUT, I am a firm believer in, "If it makes you feel better about riding your bike, DO IT."
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
if I take off the cylinder to inspect could I reuse the old gasket??
Depends on the condition of the gasket when it comes off. I have never had such luck. The base gasket always gets frazzled.
So, you can buy a gasket kit and then once you've inspected the cylinder/piston, you may be able to bolt it back together and RIDE! :ride:-BIG DAN

I might be able to just buy a single base gasket not sure ill have to check..and how do u know if the piston is done?? I know u can measure the ring gap but what then??

IMO tear it down, spec it out. then order your stuff accordingly. I mean unless your really not wanting to spend the money I would slap a new piston and rings in it no matter and definitely get a new base and head gasket.

you need to use a micrometer to check piston and telescoping/bore gauge to check cylinder. if you don't have the tools take the piston and cylinder to a shop and have them spec it for you.

SRAD97750

Staff member
The cylinder inspection includes
Out of round - multiple measurements around the cylinder looking for an oval shape.
And piston to cylinder clearance. You can do it with a large set of vernier calipers. Typically not too expensive.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

I'd just take the cylinder to a shop you like, have them spec it then you will know what needs done. hopefully it's in spec and all you do is slap a new piston and rings in fresh gaskets and go ride.