Gas Gas What type piston do u run??

Thanks for the lowdown..iv come to a conclusion to just orders the gaskets and piston (vertex) no point spending big on wiseco if it's going to be changed next season and have um ready for when I decide to inspect the old piston which wont be soon..because im happy enough with the way its running at the moment and piston is the last thing on my check list..this weeks orders are sump and pipe guards and seat cover then it tyres then its piston..oh and I keep forgetting about fork bleeders its something I always forget to do is release the air from the forks..when do u guys bleed um??

I'd just take the cylinder to a shop you like, have them spec it then you will know what needs done. hopefully it's in spec and all you do is slap a new piston and rings in fresh gaskets and go ride.

there is no shop! and if there was it would cost big $$$

If your going to have the head redone, send the piston in with it. Most shops have pistons also to speck with bore. This way you get the best fit.
I bleed my forks each ride, no weight on them of course

Thanks for the lowdown..iv come to a conclusion to just orders the gaskets and piston (vertex) no point spending big on wiseco if it's going to be changed next season and have um ready for when I decide to inspect the old piston which wont be soon..because im happy enough with the way its running at the moment and piston is the last thing on my check list..this weeks orders are sump and pipe guards and seat cover then it tyres then its piston..oh and I keep forgetting about fork bleeders its something I always forget to do is release the air from the forks..when do u guys bleed um??
My bike always runs at its best right before it blows up

SRAD97750

Staff member
there is no shop! and if there was it would cost big $$$
Any engine, auto, moto, watercraft shop can measure a piston and cylinder in under 5 minutes. If there are any vehicles on your 'island' then there is someone with the tools. I can't speak for $$$, but I know they exist. -BIG DAN:thumb:

If you don't want to take yours to a shop you can check the wear by simply sliding a ring down the bore and use feeler gauges as you go to determine the wear by measuring the end gap change and doing the math. bore gauges are a lot easier to use, but if the shop is just doing it as a favor and isn't going to be selling you a piston you can't ask for them to do too much really. you could get close with my "Old" method. Usually what most home shops are looking for is how much of the plating is worn away. Check the dims on the skirt and see how much they have worn and or collapsed as well. One that has lost there is going to rock and rattle and have more chance of breaking the skirt. the rocking also causes the rings to wear faster as it takes the shoulder off sooner leaving a slightly rounder surface to seat against the cylinder. now might be a good time to find another cylinder that could be replated if you are going to keep this one very long. you can lose a month really easily waiting for a cylinder to go slow boat off to be replated and come back. or you can spend a couple of hundred dollars to send it fast and have a week to ten days at the replater, if you send it stateside. I just remember what a friend in England ended up with as far as downtime.

Last edited:
Any engine, auto, moto, watercraft shop can measure a piston and cylinder in under 5 minutes. If there are any vehicles on your 'island' then there is someone with the tools. I can't speak for $$$, but I know they exist. -BIG DAN:thumb:

ya but that's the wright way to do things.!!! ya it would be worth getting the cylinder measured when im doing the piston..but I don't like paying for something I can do myself

If you don't want to take yours to a shop you can check the wear by simply sliding a ring down the bore and use feeler gauges as you go to determine the wear by measuring the end gap change and doing the math. bore gauges are a lot easier to use, but if the shop is just doing it as a favor and isn't going to be selling you a piston you can't ask for them to do too much really. you could get close with my "Old" method. Usually what most home shops are looking for is how much of the plating is worn away. Check the dims on the skirt and see how much they have worn and or collapsed as well. One that has lost there is going to rock and rattle and have more chance of breaking the skirt. the rocking also causes the rings to wear faster as it takes the shoulder off sooner leaving a slightly rounder surface to seat against the cylinder. now might be a good time to find another cylinder that could be replated if you are going to keep this one very long. you can lose a month really easily waiting for a cylinder to go slow boat off to be replated and come back. or you can spend a couple of hundred dollars to send it fast and have a week to ten days at the replater, if you send it stateside. I just remember what a friend in England ended up with as far as downtime.

dims?? skirt??; do u mean the indentations/marks on the (skirt) of the piston

dimensions. the skirt is as the name describes, the lower portion away from the rings. fi you got to a site like wiseco and see the instructions for measuring pistons you will see pictures of where they measure from.