Gas Gas What type piston do u run??

What type piston do u run and why?? and what are the advantages of one brand over another..and why would u spend big $$$ on top brands?

Stock piston, kind of hard to blow up a bike as reliable as mine :moon::smirk:

Wiseco for my project bikes. I have had good luck with them so far. Namura is cheap but I had one explode inside of a KX250 once so I wont be going back to them.

Wiseco is what I run in my bike. I got a Namura once for my extra YZ85 and it ran fine until I sold it. The guy called two weeks afterwards complaining it blew up on him , he could have ran straight gas through it for all I know. :noidea:

Wiseco's and just about any after market piston are rated for no more than 10 maybe 12 hours. I feel that a genuine piston is the way to go no matter what brand bike you have. I have seen stock pistons last a very long time.

I thought this would help here. This is for the two strokes. I have to find the one for the four strokes. Sorry.

**content removed**

Last edited by a moderator:

James

Staff member
Wiseco's and just about any after market piston are rated for no more than 10 maybe 12 hours. I feel that a genuine piston is the way to go no matter what brand bike you have. I have seen stock pistons last a very long time.
I'm curious as to where you're getting this info from, my CP piston went for over 50 hours, no issues... :noidea:
I thought this would help here. This is for the two strokes. I have to find the one for the four strokes. Sorry.

**content removed**
Dennis stop copying complete articles from other sites, post the link to that article/website instead.

I ran a Wiseco in my RM 250 and it lasted about twice as long as the Namura I used once…I didn't weigh it but the Namura felt heavier than the wiseco did….also that top end led to a broken case when the namura came apart……good thing I was at the track instead on the trail.

I'm curious as to where you're getting this info from, my CP piston went for over 50 hours, no issues... :noidea:

Dennis stop copying complete articles from other sites, post the link to that article/website instead.

I'm curious as to why you are so critical to any post I post? :noidea: Call any bike shop that deals with motocross and they will tell you the same thing.
MXA, Dirt rider, Dirt Bike and Cycle news. Are all great sources for this type of info. Oh plus the manual that comes with the bike when purchased. If you do not have one you can buy one. A life span of a motocross application piston has a recommended life span of 10 to 12hrs. Pick up a manual and read the preventive maintenance schedule. Look up the recommended piston change. I would post a copy of my Honda manual. But I won't. you should have a manual of your bike. Thank you

Last edited:
Would u ever just do rings or always piston??

Do you know how many hours on original pistion? Does it look and measure in spec?

On 2 strokes i replace piston and rings 95% of the time.

On 4strokes, if they measure and look good, I'd let them go alittle longer.

Thats just me though.