What Lubricant's, filter oils and cleaners do you use?

Twin Air air filter
Maxima FFT oil (spray oil is for rookies):poke:
X Ring chain
WD40 after wash/dry bike
Ironman Sprockets
Maxima Extra4 Ester based Syn
K&N oil filters

Some stuff is more expensive than others but I don't price shop $10 items.:panic:

I ride an 04 CRF250r on trails and sands. Use NoToil products. They're alright but in high temps (>90F) the air filter oil seems to melt away so i have to clean and re-oil the filter all the time, once a week for me. I got lazy once and left my oiled air filter on my bike during winter months. This was a bad choice. When I got my bike out to do maintenance a couple of months later, I found that NoToil ate up my filter. It easily tore in my hands like an old shirt. Won't do that again. Cleaning and changing the air filter all the time as I do is a pain but on the bright side my air filter is performing at top level and I know its always clean. I have 2 air filters that I alternate, while I'm using one, the other is clean and sitting on my shelf ready for action. I'm not a big fan of the NoToil air filters though, they are too thin. I buy the stock Honda ones. Don't use a filter sock. I like the Maxx Chain dry lube. As far as engine and trans oils I just use the Honda pro stuff. I change those oils all the time too. Never had any problems.

I ride an 04 CRF250r on trails and sands. Use NoToil products. They're alright but in high temps (>90F) the air filter oil seems to melt away so i have to clean and re-oil the filter all the time, once a week for me. I got lazy once and left my oiled air filter on my bike during winter months. This was a bad choice. When I got my bike out to do maintenance a couple of months later, I found that NoToil ate up my filter. It easily tore in my hands like an old shirt. Won't do that again. Cleaning and changing the air filter all the time as I do is a pain but on the bright side my air filter is performing at top level and I know its always clean. I have 2 air filters that I alternate, while I'm using one, the other is clean and sitting on my shelf ready for action. I'm not a big fan of the NoToil air filters though, they are too thin. I buy the stock Honda ones. Don't use a filter sock. I like the Maxx Chain dry lube. As far as engine and trans oils I just use the Honda pro stuff. I change those oils all the time too. Never had any problems.
You know I had the same thing happen to me. My filter stuck like super glue to the filter base plate. I had to tear it off to remove it. But I have never had the oil break down or dry up. The filter was a NoToil filter. I had it so I used it. My Twin Air's were dirty. Since I have been use my Twin Air's I have not had that problem. I will not use their Filters but I like the filter oils and cleaners. Was the filter that degraded on you a Twin Air or No-Toil? I like No-Toil.

@ Hondacr500af:
I was using a NoToil twin filter and when I grabbed it, the outer layer pulled and tore on me. The interior layer stuck on the cage and just ripped apart--filter destroyed. But like I said earlier, I don't leave the NoToil oil on the filter for too long any more. I wish there was a better way in handling air filters. Someone should invent a filter that does not need oiling. The other bad thing I've notice with filter oils, is that over time, the oil builds up on the cage its self and slowly clogs all the holes in the screen, choking air intake. The oils are hard to remove off the screen because it balls up and gets stuck in between the layers when you dip it in the cleaner. Was thinking of removing the screen but I ride in a lot of sands and silts and at least the screen is one final layer of protection.

@ Hondacr500af:
I was using a NoToil twin filter and when I grabbed it, the outer layer pulled and tore on me. The interior layer stuck on the cage and just ripped apart--filter destroyed. But like I said earlier, I don't leave the NoToil oil on the filter for too long any more. I wish there was a better way in handling air filters. Someone should invent a filter that does not need oiling. The other bad thing I've notice with filter oils, is that over time, the oil builds up on the cage its self and slowly clogs all the holes in the screen, choking air intake. The oils are hard to remove off the screen because it balls up and gets stuck in between the layers when you dip it in the cleaner. Was thinking of removing the screen but I ride in a lot of sands and silts and at least the screen is one final layer of protection.
It Sounds like that was the same thing that happened to me. I have never seen anything such as it clogging my choke circuit. I am thinking maybe you don't squeeze out enough. :noidea:. I always hang the filter for about 30 minutes before I instahl it. It seems to help. I totally agree with you when it comes to inventing a better way of filtering the air intake.

I think you are right, I don't squeeze out my filter enough, but I do allow it to air dry for about an hour. (Is their such a thing as squeezing out too much oil? I bet there isn't.) The new stuff that NoToil puts out has a longer drying time than the alcohol laced oil they previously made. I've use NoToil since 1994. Same bike too. I've used DelRay water proof grease before as my air filter's rim grease. It works well at sealing but it a devil in clean up. It just will not come off and it smears all over when I do clean up. To me the ease of clean up out weights the extra sealing potential it offers so I don't use it any more.

I just don't feel that if the product they sell did not originate for the motocross bike. Like Pj1,Belray, Amsoil,Maxima and Spectrol. I mean if you find an older catalog in your shop say from the early 90's. How many products will you see that are still around today? How many will you see from Lucas? If you like it then stick with it. I just wanted to see what other motocrosser's used. Thanks

Lucas has been around since the 80's... Just new to the motorcycle industry in the last 15 yrs

Silkoline lubricants in all of my bikes..... No substitutions... I do use PB blaster on race day for my chain. It cleans the chain and lubricates it as well.
Too many bikes to list.

Last edited:
Dirty filter.

Clean Filter Just like New again. Thanks to, No Toil Air Filter Cleaner.

Now like I have said I have used Belray oils and cleaners. Well the filter cleaner never was able to get the filter this clean. When using the belray products. :prof:

I use this whenever working on or riding my bike :smirk:
coors_light-300x272.jpg

Why is it when I post something that deals with the titled subject. Someone post a post almost immediately that has nothing to do with the thread? I do not get it. Mihylo33 was the last member to post on this thread and that was January 11, 2014. Since then Nobody seemed to have anything to contribute to this thread until I posted my pictures to identify how well No Toil Cleaner works. WTF is going on.
Maybe I need to start drinking and smoking pot or something. I may understand and be more relax if I were drunk or stone.

Last edited:
Sometimes if there's nothing else around, and I mean not even scummy pond water, I'll use that stuff too wash the grimey toe jam that develops inside my riding boot on a hot day.
Pictures do not lie. No Toil works. :prof:. The only real down fall to the No Toil cleaner is, it does not clean other filter oils from the filter very well. It works best when used in conjunction with the No Toil oil.