What did you do to your bike today?

SRAD97750

Staff member
This is a long story...
Prior to purchasing the blackbird, I did a year of research and studied the quirks of the beast prior to buying in.
This 1137cc monster has 3 major issues that seem to creep on every single owner at some point.
1. Excessive heat from the FI models. Many guys wrap the titanium headers and run antifreeze alternatives. She just loves to be hot. Not boil-over, but fans on in traffic everytime without fail.
2. #1 above, wet stator, and an already maxed out electrical load analysis lead to the thermal breakdown of the charging components. Typical complete failure of the battery/stator/RR is reported before 50K miles.
3. CCT goes out typically every 20K-30K miles. I have a CCT/gasket on the shelf waiting for the rattle to show it's face.

She has 16K miles total...
I have replaced all lights with LEDS to lower the electrical load dramatically.
I have installed a voltmeter on the dash to watch my voltages, as it is the best troubleshooting method for charging faults. Especially the soft fault I have discovered.

First 5 miles of riding, she reads 14.2v
Then it drops to a range of 11.8-12.5v for the remainder of the journey. This is very close to the static voltage of the battery, so the stator is just maintaining voltage at operating temps.

Upon initial testing, the stator tested good while cold. After the voltmeter discovery, I realized thermal expansion is grounding a leg of the stator to the frame. so instead of 40ACV per leg, it's reads 40-40-6ACV.
Just swapping out both components at the same time, because the new RR has a much larger cooling fin bank than OEM.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

This is a long story...
Prior to purchasing the blackbird, I did a year of research and studied the quirks of the beast prior to buying in.
This 1137cc monster has 3 major issues that seem to creep on every single owner at some point.
1. Excessive heat from the FI models. Many guys wrap the titanium headers and run antifreeze alternatives. She just loves to be hot. Not boil-over, but fans on in traffic everytime without fail.
2. #1 above, wet stator, and an already maxed out electrical load analysis lead to the thermal breakdown of the charging components. Typical complete failure of the battery/stator/RR is reported before 50K miles.
3. CCT goes out every typically every 20K-30K miles. I have a CCT/gasket on the shelf waiting for the rattle to show it's face.

She has 16K miles total...
I have replaced all lights with LEDS to lower the electrical load dramatically.
I have installed a voltmeter on the dash to watch my voltages, as it is the best troubleshooting method for charging faults. Especially the soft fault I have discovered.

First 5 miles of riding, she reads 14.2v
Then it drops to a range of 11.8-12.5v for the remainder of the journey. This is very close to the static voltage of the battery, so the stator is just maintaining voltage at operating temps.

Upon initial testing, the stator tested good while cold. After the voltmeter discovery, I realized thermal expansion is grounding a leg of the stator to the frame. so instead of 40ACV per leg, it's reads 40-40-6ACV.
Just swapping out both components at the same time, because the new RR has a much larger cooling fin bank than OEM.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Ok

OH YEAH!!

5B12B1A8-8FA4-423D-86F7-A8BF79A9B161.jpg

Got my head back! Time to get to work :)

Pro circuit did the seats. Just had em recut. It's me wFo ossa. Turns out somebody put the wrong collets and spring retainers in. Was a big clusterfK I think the Ti exh valves may be more trouble than they're worth well see. Gonna keep my eye on them.

Pro circuit did the seats. Just had em recut. It's me wFo ossa. Turns out somebody put the wrong collets and spring retainers in. Was a big clusterfK I think the Ti exh valves may be more trouble than they're worth well see. Gonna keep my eye on them.
yeah, i remember you WF. just wondering the head work looks pretty nice but it looked like more angles, but this screen came over with a guy named columbus. if your ex valves are stockers, they are stainless. the intakes are Ti in a stock engine.

if your ex valves are stockers, they are stainless. the intakes are Ti in a stock engine.
The only thing stock in this powerplant is the crank and rod. Hell its only money :) yah it's a '10 and not worth what I got in it but I got it to ride not sell. went with high comp PC piston & cam Ti exh valves etc. gonna pick up some 112 today and see how (if) she runs lol.