Amatuer Virginia City Grand Prix

So yesterday my brother goes out for a training ride for the title of this thread. I was gonna go with him but I had chores to do. So anyways he swings by my place to see if he can change my mind. No dice, as I really needed to get those chores done. Anyways he tells me what route he is taking (for safety sake) and leaves. About 20-30 min later I get a call on my phone, its my brother. "Hey can you come get me. Im on the ridge line behind the house's. Im fine but the bike is F'd. Its stuck in first gear, the shifter peg is peeled back and Ive lost all my oil. But I can just pull clutch in and coast it down the hill meet me in the wash between the ridge and the rock quarry." So I load up the ramps and head out. 10 min later I find my brother covered in sweat pushing his bike down the wash. We do an inspection and I get the story. Long story short he pranged the shifter which drove the shift shaft across the gear box and pushed the shift dog up against the case cover and broke out a 50Cent size hole in the right side case cover. :thumbsdown:

So I was going to go to the race and pit for my buddy Sam, and ride sweeper on Sunday while my brother raced. Now we dont want his non refundable entry to go to waste. So I guess Im racing in his place. :ride::banana:. Im just hoping for no:crash:, and :cripple:. Here is a little teaser from last year. http://vimeo.com/63495043

I was hoping your brother was sitting there with a shit eating grin saying lets ride!

Sorry to read about his mechanical issues. Good luck on your trail ride.

A real bro would say, "sorry about your bike man. Here, use mine so you won't miss the race" :smirk:
I did offer that option to him. But he declined. He stated what if I break it? That and he would have to learn my bike, and he doesn't think he can get enough seat time between now and the race which is the 27&28 of this month.

Recent up date. My brother is back on for racing. So Im still going to race, but I will be a late entry. Which means I will be in the back of the back WAY in the BACK towards the END. So anyway. A buddy of my brothers has a pair of YZ426F's and insisted that my brother ride his other bike. So Im pretty stoked about that for him. It will be interesting for him though. The bike isnt set up for him suspension wise, but the power delivery will be pretty close to what he is used to. I offered to let him ride my CR250. But he was afraid of the difference in power delivery between the 4T and the 2T being an issue. But now I dont have to worry about it as he will be on a 4T machine.

The only thing Im dreading is all the choke points because I will be starting so far back its gonna be a bugger working my way up those climbs to get passed all those crashing squids.:ride:

Recent up date. My brother is back on for racing. So Im still going to race, but I will be a late entry. Which means I will be in the back of the back WAY in the BACK towards the END. So anyway. A buddy of my brothers has a pair of YZ426F's and insisted that my brother ride his other bike. So Im pretty stoked about that for him. It will be interesting for him though. The bike isnt set up for him suspension wise, but the power delivery will be pretty close to what he is used to. I offered to let him ride my CR250. But he was afraid of the difference in power delivery between the 4T and the 2T being an issue. But now I dont have to worry about it as he will be on a 4T machine.

The only thing Im dreading is all the choke points because I will be starting so far back its gonna be a bugger working my way up those climbs to get passed all those crashing squids.:ride:

Awesome news Smoke! Glad to hear you are gonna race anyway :thumb:

Pin it to win it!!!

I watched that video and yes there is going to be some bottle necks. Make sure you put a good coat on the filter and extra grease to seal it.

Pin it to win it!!!

I watched that video and yes there is going to be some bottle necks. Make sure you put a good coat on the filter and extra grease to seal it.
Pin it to win it???? Im not quite a stand racer (yet). But I will just be happy to make one full lap and not get passed up by too many of the racers starting behind me.

Filter is brand new pre oiled No Toil, its not even out of the package yet. Have a brand new tube of filter grease. This weekend the chain will get removed, cleaned, and then tossed into a vacuum seal bag with chain lube to ensure the O rings get good and saturated with chain lube on the inside of the O ring. While the chain is off Im gonna throw the 51 tooth rear sprocket on to help with the stop and go traffic on the hill climbs. I may even throw the new counter sprocket on just for good measure.

Pin it to win it???? Im not quite a stand racer (yet). But I will just be happy to make one full lap and not get passed up by too many of the racers starting behind me.

Filter is brand new pre oiled No Toil, its not even out of the package yet. Have a brand new tube of filter grease. This weekend the chain will get removed, cleaned, and then tossed into a vacuum seal bag with chain lube to ensure the O rings get good and saturated with chain lube on the inside of the O ring. While the chain is off Im gonna throw the 51 tooth rear sprocket on to help with the stop and go traffic on the hill climbs. I may even throw the new counter sprocket on just for good measure.
:thumb:

I'm no desert racer but isn't a 51 rear sprocket kind of low for desert? Or is it more of slow paced enduro?
I have not been in this race but it is in the trees and runs through town. Does not look like a real high speed race and I agree with smoke on this one that with him getting stuck in the back of the pack, he will be catching slower riders and getting parked like LA traffic so the lower gearing will help with that.

i been practicing my passes on tight stuff but never know till i get in it. :banana: im so excited about this
Make sure that when you catch a person in front of you that you are looking in front of him and not his back tire. Also try and make the pass quick as you never know if these guy will hold their line and drift over on you.

I have not been in this race but it is in the trees and runs through town. Does not look like a real high speed race and I agree with smoke on this one that with him getting stuck in the back of the pack, he will be catching slower riders and getting parked like LA traffic so the lower gearing will help with that.

Well it only start in town on the pavement. Then it goes out to the dirt in the mountains and through the trees (if thats what you want to call them). But there are a lot of climbs and descents. Granted I dont have much in the way of engine braking with the 2T engine but it will help a little. There are some portions of the trails that can be ridden in top gear but depending on what the weather is like. It will likely be very dusty and wide open riding in top gear on rocky trails is not my thing. And like CDA mentioned Im gearing down 1 tooth from stock which is a 50 anyways. So it probably wont be that much of a difference. Except for the fact that I have a 49 tooth on it now:noidea: . So it will probably be noticable for me if I have to to a lot of restarts going up hill. Where it may hurt me a little bit is going up 6 mile canyon which is paved. But Im not really that interested in going as fast as I can on the pavement. Knobbies and pavement going fast for me is a bad thing:naughty:. Now as for catching slower riders, I hope to pass as many as Im able to. But Im not planning on being very competitive. Once I get on the course it may be a different story. But my main goal is to finish at least on lap which is a finish and not have this happen:crash::cripple:.