Valve Problems!? Urgent advice needed

i can't measure any of them. all 4 of them i can't get my feeler gauge under. even at TDC when the valves are supposed to be closed. the only time i could get the feeler gauge under temporarily was when i spun the flywheel with the ratcher and the rockers sprung back up... but anytime prior or after that, can't get the feeler gauge under.
the motor stops at about 180 degree's til i have to use force or a socket and ratchet on the flywheel nut then it just spins around about 30 degrees on its own til it stops.

Last edited:
Something is definitely wrong in the timing system. The only thing I can think of is pull the head, and retrace the installation procedure and see if you missed something. With that all I can think is piston hitting a valve at TDC, etc.
Sorry I can't help Brother!
I gotta run. Hopefully someone else can chime in on here or another site. Try KTM Talk...

yeah i was thinking the same thing, piston hitting valve at TDC.
ok no worries mate, cheers for all the advice anyway. have a good 1 :)

I am not familiar with your engine and frankly having a little bit of a problem with your procedure as explained, but let me ask if you could be torquing the cover down with the cam being at tdc on the exhaust stroke as opposed to tdc on the compression stroked (where there is to be no cam or rocker depression of either valve)?

i might be but i doubt it. im using the crank lock bolt and the marks on my cam sprocket lined up horizontally and verified with the flywheel position near the pulser coil as it said in my manual.
shouldn't i be able to turn the engine over by hand using the flywheel without any force with the rocker cover on? it happens even when the rocker cover isn't torqued down or bolted in, no matter which position the piston or flywheel is at.

Last edited:
most of mine you would find it difficult at least to turn over by hand even with the spark plug out. depressing the valves is not all that easy. Heck, you might have arms like a real ape for all I know though :-). again the only ktm cam i ever had in my hand wasnt even in an engine. The position you want to assemble in though is with the lobs away from the surface they are going to depress, and this is a different way of describing that than I used before getting a unicam bike. if the lobe is riding under a rocker, you want the lobe down in other words, and if it is on a valve you want the lobe up.

now to see if you have bent any valves, take out the spark plug and put a penlight flashlight up to the hole. make sure the valves are at full extension, cam off etc. turn on the flashlight that is in the plug hole, turn out the lights in the room, see if you can look into the exhaust and intake ports and see a light. if you can, you are tearing it down again. if you cant you can go on troubleshooting the timing thing for now, but it is scary as you know to put it together and run it after hearing that sound you described.

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Is this what you mean by "rocker cover?"
1.jpg
If so,
Does the engine turn over with the wrench a full 365 degrees?
As you turn it, you feel compression build, then release and rotate on it's own in the same direction?
Then it's easy to turn again until it reaches a point where compression builds again?
This is 100% normal in my book.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Is this what you mean by "rocker cover?"
View attachment 20787
If so,
Does the engine turn over with the wrench a full 365 degrees?
As you turn it, you feel compression build, then release and rotate on it's own in the same direction?
Then it's easy to turn again until it reaches a point where compression builds again?
This is 100% normal in my book.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Yep. That's the one. Yeah with the wrench it turns the full 360 I just wasn't sure if I should've needed the wrench.
I need to find out what that ding noise would of been. So looks like I need to pull the head apart again.
I did notice 1 of the valve adjuster screws on the rocker arm was loose, I went to tighten it up and it wouldn't tighten up too well and ended up snapping off. Could that of been the ding sound I heard? Or more than likely I cracked a valve?

Im just wondering, before I pull the head, wouldn't a leak down test tell me if I have a cracked valve? Cos the air would pass through?

SRAD97750

Staff member
I would take it apart to have a look, but I still think there is nothing wrong. The sound was something settling. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Hmm. If I decided to take the chance and not take the head apart, would the leak down test tell me if there would be a crack in it though?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Nothing, reassemble correctly, torque that head.
Make sure the engine turns over 365 degrees, and run it.
The "hard to turn" is normal. And engines make settling sounds after assembly. You heard something settling in the valve-train. -BIG DAN:thumb: