Valve Problems!? Urgent advice needed

Hi all.
I had to do a top end rebuild on my bike(KTM EXC 04) as it lost a lot of compression and would barely run. Did leak down test which confirmed it. Cylinder was grazed and had lots of deep scuff marks when I took it all apart. Got my cylinder machined and re plated, fitted brand new piston kit(rings, gaskets and all that). Followed the workshop manual exactly, lined the cam up with the 2 circle markings with the top of the block on either side, etc. Turned flywheel by hand and all turned smoothly...was all good til I had to fit the rocker cover.

At first, once the rocker cover was installed and bolted down, I could no longer turn the flywheel the full 360 degrees by hand and instead had to use a ratchet and socket on the flywheel nut. Not sure if that's normal or not?(I thought it was still able to turn by hand). To me it was like I had coil binding or something. The flywheel was just hard to turn at a certain point and before installing the rocker arm cover, I was able to turn the flywheel the full 360 degrees by hand very easily.

Anyway as I was tourqing down the bolts to correct spec, I heard a massive 'ding' type sound that you normally hear from a spring breaking or decompressing. Not sure if it is broken or not but that's the type of sound it sounded like.
I also was unable to check valve clearances because the KTM feeler gauge would not go under the adjusters no matter how loose I turned/loosened the adjuster screw.
All this doesn't sound very normal or promising to me.
I'm just wondering what the possible cause or issue is? Or if I need to replace valves or valve springs, etc. And also, what would that 'ding' sound of been? Personally if i had to guess, i'd say it was the rocker arms/tappets compressing too much on the springs.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like a valve snapped.
Are the valves new?
Are the valves china made?
If you open the intake and exhaust ports can you see the top of the valve seats in the head?
I am going to tell you what happened to a buddy when putting an engine back together at his shop. He was on the phone talking and heard a ping in the back of the shop, when he got back there a brand new head he was rebuilding with valves, springs, etc., was siting on the jig and one of the valves had snapped. Out of the blue, it just snapped and fell on the ground. Good for him it happened then instead of after the motor was together.
Worth a look.

Sounds to me like a valve snapped.
Are the valves new?
Are the valves china made?
If you open the intake and exhaust ports can you see the top of the valve seats in the head?
I am going to tell you what happened to a buddy when putting an engine back together at his shop. He was on the phone talking and heard a ping in the back of the shop, when he got back there a brand new head he was rebuilding with valves, springs, etc., was siting on the jig and one of the valves had snapped. Out of the blue, it just snapped and fell on the ground. Good for him it happened then instead of after the motor was together.
Worth a look.

i can't really open them unless i force my flywheel with a ratchet and socket on the nut then the flywheel just skips passed and turns itself another 30 or so degrees on its own?
the valves are about a year old and they aren't china made. they are titanium valves from KTM.

Not needed, I am talking about the exhaust head pipe at the head and the intake boot at the carbi side.

If not, then I guess you would need to pull the rocker cover and the cam that you can't get the feeler under.

Dan has gone riding, I am going to look at the diagram on Rocky Mountain.

Did you rebuild the head?

I am thinking that is what happened, valve broke, dropped in and now its only letting you turn 30%. honestly, I would pull intake/exhaust as described or the cam and check it out.

Last edited:
nah didn't rebuild the head. just a new reconditioned cylinder and new piston and rings.
i currently have the exhaust and carbi off the bike, i can see the valve stems. they look perfectly aligned/straight.

as in the bottom(circle) part of the valve? i can see them in the intake side but can't really see too well from the exhaust side.

What valve is too tight to measure, right side, left side, intake, exhaust? You did say you can't make full rotation on motor? There has to be something jamming, I would put to much muscle into trying to make a full rotation until this is figured out. You might not be able to physically see a broken valve until the whole head is removed. The break could be in the valve guide where it's not visible.