Upgrading my goggles

Ok, so I have some old cheap Scott goggles that I have been sporting and thinking about upgrading. Do any of you use the kind with the roll offs? I just use my shirt to clean what little I get on my goggles. I am so slow that the dust settles before I ever get there :smirk:

I don't know if I like the tear off idea. It leaves too much garbage laying around. Are the roll offs any count do they actually work good or is it just one of those sales gimmicks and the never end up using them? Is it just better to have neither?

I was looking at these
i32100.jpg

I dont have any personal experience with the roll offs. However............... A riding buddy of mine (pro) racer. Uses them exclusively. I believe he gets 50 or so cleanings compared to 20 or 30 with tear offs.

I have never used roll offs or tear offs
Spy has some new goggles that were developed more for the enduro/harescramble type of riding than for mx, I have a pair and love them.

I dont have any personal experience with the roll offs. However............... A riding buddy of mine (pro) racer. Uses them exclusively. I believe he gets 50 or so cleanings compared to 20 or 30 with tear offs.

Yeah, I was looking at the packs of tear offs, and they are $8-$12 bucks for 12 pack and the rolls are 6 rolls for $10 or 12 for $20 the rolls seem to have allot more in the roll than that of 12 tear offs. Plus your not throwing chit on the ground. I am against polluting at all cost. I would end up sticking the used tear off in my back pack or down my pants if was riding on a track.

I have never used roll offs or tear offs
Spy has some new goggles that were developed more for the enduro/harescramble type of riding than for mx, I have a pair and love them.

I don't use either right now, but I just want some new ones as my current ones are getting pretty beat up. I am thinking this roll off will help keep me from scratching the lens so much.

I'm leaning against the tear off for off-road Jax - the thought of hucking a bunch of them on the ground is not appealing. Just remember that the roll-offs do not cover the entire lense so that if you get nailed by a big mud splash, you only roll away the strip through the middle of the lense (if you know what I mean?). Anyway, I suspect that if you aren't using anything right now the roll-offs will seem like heaven. I hope you keep your goggles in a case when not in use - I have to bust on my kids for not doing that because the lenses get beat to heck when not properly stored and Dad has to by new ones. :thumb:

I'm leaning against the tear off for off-road Jax - the thought of hucking a bunch of them on the ground is not appealing. Just remember that the roll-offs do not cover the entire lense so that if you get nailed by a big mud splash, you only roll away the strip through the middle of the lense (if you know what I mean?). Anyway, I suspect that if you aren't using anything right now the roll-offs will seem like heaven. I hope you keep your goggles in a case when not in use - I have to bust on my kids for not doing that because the lenses get beat to heck when not properly stored and Dad has to by new ones. :thumb:

At my son and daughter: DAMMIT, DO NOT CLEAN OR WIPE YOUR GOGGLES WITH YOUR GLOVES.:rant::rant::foul::foul::naughty::naughty:
Then after they do, a while later they say: Dad, my goggle lenses are all scratched.:foul::foul::foul:

BTW Jackson, I have the Scott Desert XI's, no fog and keeps the dust out too. Love 'em.

SMX tempered mattes. I get a big discount on all their stuff so you can use my code if you'd like :thumb: you could get a new lense and a stack of tear off too.

I ran roll-offs for years back in the day for Desert and GP racing. Great for that type of riding. You get a lot more clean lens with the roll off and when racing over 100 miles, that is important. The only down fall with the roll offs is if you smack a bush or bust the cover off while riding. You will now have a long string of tape flapping behind you and that tape is tough. Wait until it grabs on to a bush when you are 5th gear tapped...:wow: Talk about getting a whip lash....

I ran roll-offs for years back in the day for Desert and GP racing. Great for that type of riding. You get a lot more clean lens with the roll off and when racing over 100 miles, that is important. The only down fall with the roll offs is if you smack a bush or bust the cover off while riding. You will now have a long string of tape flapping behind you and that tape is tough. Wait until it grabs on to a bush when you are 5th gear tapped...:wow: Talk about getting a whip lash....

:shocked: 5th gear tapped,,,, I been in that gear once but tappped hummm, :thinking: I don't think my bike was made to work like that in bushes.

:shocked: 5th gear tapped,,,, I been in that gear once but tappped hummm, :thinking: I don't think my bike was made to work like that in bushes.
Yeah I never saw that gear tapped either :devil: I heard from a guy, who knew this dude, who's girlfriend's boyfriend was sponsored by a shop that had a rider that rode in the desert with a guy that raced desert along side of this factory person who told him about a legend of the person on a KX500 running wide open across the desert in 5th gear with roll-offs flapping in the wind....:smirk:

James

Staff member
I'm so slow that I never get roosted so I don't have a real need for tear offs, however I do still keep a couple on the goggles just to protect the lens.

I'm also against littering and I usually make a habit of picking up tear offs (and trash) when walking the track, but that isn't so easy to do off road. Never tried the roll offs but that sounds like a cheaper and better solution for off roading (No littering). Granted your eyeport will probably be reduced in a muddy race/ride, but who needs to see? :P

Yeah I never saw that gear tapped either :devil: I heard from a guy, who knew this dude, who's girlfriend's boyfriend was sponsored by a shop that had a rider that rode in the desert with a guy that raced desert along side of this factory person who told him about a legend of the person on a KX500 running wide open across the desert in 5th gear with roll-offs flapping in the wind....:smirk:
:thinking: Isn't it kind of funny how that came around full circle, I wonder if that guy knew who he was talking to. :P

for doing what you do Jax the roll offs are great. except in the rain... I use tear offs now for MX racing but when I used to be involved with the club I used the rolloffs... I have had 2 pairs over the years and find the Scotts to be really good and easier to find lenses for.... My Smiths I had for years... durable but hard to find replacement lenses for..... I always buy the cheap Scott 80series goggles that come with free grips or hats... usually about $19... cheaptearoffs.com has the tear offs real cheap too, a 100 for like $15 or something... good deal.......

In the end you gotta decide if its worth having the $60-$80 goggles or the $20 goggles and $15 for a 100 tearoffs...:thinking:

i vote smx corrosive matte, same price as the ones yd suggested but you can get a roll off system for them

prices

Corrosive matte goggles- around $40
PV (roll off) system - around $40 and comes with 2 rolls and I think 20-30 pulls per roll
rolls - CHEAP!!
and I can pm you the code for a 50% disscount if you would like:thumb: