Turning off the gas during breaks

Do you turn your gas off during breaks?

• Total voters
I only turn my gas off when I'm done riding for the day... I also drain the carb when I get home as todays crappy unleaded fuel will Eff a carb up quickly. I also run Marine grade Stabil in all my fuels as well as a a little premix in the 4Ts but that was up until now... Now I run C12 as pump fuel has gotten so bad here...

Only turned mine off when I was setting it down, done riding, or on the way home (not always though).

The infamous moments when you pull off your gas cap, shake the bike around, and add more gas. Only to find out you left your fuel off. There's been a couple times that I've gotten pissed because I thought my bike was broken. :pout:

Here's another question. How many of you guys turn the petcock facing toward the engine, lever to the inside? I'd never seen that until I bought my 08 CRF250r that was raced. The dealer said they did that so that the racer couldn't possibly kick it off. And that makes perfect sense, so I left it.

Only turned mine off when I was setting it down, done riding, or on the way home (not always though).

The infamous moments when you pull off your gas cap, shake the bike around, and add more gas. Only to find out you left your fuel off. There's been a couple times that I've gotten pissed because I thought my bike was broken. :pout:

Here's another question. How many of you guys turn the petcock facing toward the engine, lever to the inside? I'd never seen that until I bought my 08 CRF250r that was raced. The dealer said they did that so that the racer couldn't possibly kick it off. And that makes perfect sense, so I left it.

:wave:

I've never kicked a fuel valve off on any bike :noidea:

Well, I thought that too. But once upon a time, I was scrubbing this jump and my knee actually turned my fuel off.
Here's a picture from the occasion.

osborne.jpg

You believe me right? :smirk:

Only time I turn the gas off is if I need to lay my bike on the ground on the trails. I do turn it off at night when camping, it is just a habit. Other than that, it gets turned off during transit and sitting in the garage.

+1

It's important to turn off the petcock when the bike is stored indoors. I used to never turn it off. On day I smelled gas in the house and when I opened the garage, wow. A bike had dumped a partial tank of gas on the floor. Not a good thing. I was lucky and nothing bad happened. I would imagine that given the right conditions you garage could blow up.

That's why I always turn the petcock to off when the bike is inside. Even my new bike.

James

Staff member
I'm guessing that the reason they turned the peacock around wasn't so that their leg doesn't accidentally turn it off. But instead so that they don't turn it off by habit and then forget to turn it back on before the next moto.