Turning off the gas during breaks

Do you turn your gas off during breaks?

• Total voters
The ONLY time I turn my gas off is when I wash it, lay it over, or don't ride it in the winter. Even the last one is pretty un common because it gets used

My experience is I never turn my gas off unless I put the bike away for the night or longer. Also, I have a screw in the bottom of the carb which drains the bowl. Both the Honda and the KTM have this and I thought it would be clever to drain the gas out of both of the bikes once so they would not gum up as they were going to sit for a while. When I went to ride my bike and turned the gas on it just kept coming out of the over flow as the float was stuck. When the little Honda got turned on it leaked around the gasket of the bowl. Seemed the gasket shrunk up by not having the gas in the bowl to keep it moist. :noidea: I never did anything to it other than turn the gas on and let him ride it and it never leaked again. My bike stopped with the over flow leaking when I tapped on it and it has never leaked again. Moral to the story - not sure. But I will never drain my float bowl again. I will go out and start the bike every other week or so just to keep the gas moving through the jets, etc.

Oh ya,
On the 2T's it is best to shut them down over extended periods (not good) and never let them "run"out while running. That last little burst up at the end is lean oil mixture and can be bad on the motor.

Marvel oil and sta-bil in the gas keeps the shitty american gas varnish from sticking.

I normally forget to turn mine off until I get the bikes back home. Then I turn it off and start the bikes and let the carburetor run out of gas. Everyone says it's bad to do that but I have been doing it since I got my kx60 7 years ago so :moon: Started doing it when we got tired of having to clean my carburetor every other weekend.

PS my I haven't ever rebuilt my kx60 and it still runs like a top.

I normally forget to turn mine off until I get the bikes back home. Then I turn it off and start the bikes and let the carburetor run out of gas. Everyone says it's bad to do that but I have been doing it since I got my kx60 7 years ago so :moon: Started doing it when we got tired of having to clean my carburetor every other weekend.

PS my I haven't ever rebuilt my kx60 and it still runs like a top.

I don't run my bike for weeks at a time and I've never had a carb gum up. I add a little stabil when I fill it for the winter.

James, I don't know about some of the others however the NO vote results might be a little skewed due to some of us having F/I... of which "I" marked no because "I" don't (can't) turn my gas off. :P

James

Staff member
James, I don't know about some of the others however the NO vote results might be a little skewed due to somefo us havign F/I... of which "I" marked no because "I" dont (can't) turn my gas off. :P
Fixed it just for you. :P