Turning off the gas during breaks

Do you turn your gas off during breaks?

• Total voters

James

Staff member
Do you turn off your gas during breaks or just during transit and storage?

We've all heard the stories of people riding and a few minutes later the bike dies because they forgot to turn the gas on again. I'm just curious as to why people turn it off to begin with. I never turn mine off at the track, only when I load up to go home.

For me it varies. New bikes rarely leak so they get left on more. Old bikes get shut off more often, especially if they have a history of a stuck float valve.

I usually forget to turn them off until the wife complains it smells like gas. If I do turn them off say to go get lunch, I usually forget to turn it on until I have kicked it for a while to get it to start again.

a few months after my first bike i pushed that fucker about a half a mile up a hill because somehow my boot flipped mine off while i was riding. :lol: i learned that lession fairly fast i suppose

For me it varies. New bikes rarely leak so they get left on more. Old bikes get shut off more often, especially if they have a history of a stuck float valve.

Huhhhh, makes me thinks of the Rez ride up to Pappy and Harriets on El Diablo..... didn't leak gas but for what ever reason turning the gas off helped it start easier AFTER I dumped it in the wash. :bonk:....... :gibbs:

As for the Berg... no can do ... F/I

Huhhhh, makes me thinks of the Rez ride up to Pappy and Harriets on El Diablo..... didn't leak gas but for what ever reason turning the gas off helped it start easier AFTER I dumped it in the wash. :bonk:....... :gibbs:

As for the Berg... no can do ... F/I
I remember that.:D

mine sit for weeks with the fuel valve on
Doesn't that allow more fuel to sit in carb causing the carb to gum up sooner? I am with CDA and do exactly what he does. The only thing different is turning fuel off after I get home AND THEN running the gas out of the carb. Thoughts?

James

Staff member
Doesn't that allow more fuel to sit in carb causing the carb to gum up sooner? I am with CDA and do exactly what he does. The only thing different is turning fuel off after I get home AND THEN running the gas out of the carb. Thoughts?
I've actually had more issues by draining the crab because after it dried out it gunked up. :noidea:

Just keep in mind that when there is no fuel in the cylinder on a 2 stroke there is no lubrication either.

James is right on the carb draining.
I use Mystery Oil and Sta-Bil in all the carb bikes when I put them away for extended time. The FI bikes have no shut off. I had an issue with the Beta, If I leave the petcock on for 3-4 days it floods itself, happened once, I shut it down now even for lunch breaks. I think the floats a little sticky.