250F Tuning? Idle?& carb

Oh yeah I read my sentence back and realize I may have misworded earlier. “too much air” The choke enriches the mix by restricting the flow of air. By needing to be pulled open to run, there may not be enough fuel to balance the flow of air getting in, thereby needing to restrict with the choke. I’d shut the choke and keep it running with the throttle and turn the pilot screw in and see if it evens out. I don’t know really, it’s like tuning a guitar I keep fkn with it till it sounds good

Hmmm never thought of the keeping it running with throttle. So if I end up more than three turns out on the fs I would need to go up on the pilot? If it doesn’t stay at an idle?

Inspect the PJ with a magnifying glass and flashlight. I thought I had mine clean and upon closer insp saw a layer of crust. I hit it with a .010” wire (guitar string) worked.

Great ideas guys! Thanks! I have been using thin wire. But the glass is a great idea. Now should I put it through the small ports ever so lightly? I did the jets and soaked them and sprayed them but not the actual ports. Didn’t wanna hurt it and didn’t know if it would.

Yea I’ve gone through 5-6 can of cleaner! Getting better and better each time. Just blows having to take it off apart and back on over and over.

Testing for airleaks and setting the float clear up a lot of jetting and adjustment problems. If you are still concerned about a clean carburetor (I would be too) sometimes you can get the passages in the carburetor which feed the jets clean by using avgas or seafoam, and run it lots. That is not a particularly easy carburetor to cut you teeth on.

Testing? And how would u go about testing an air leak? I did think of that and did look at everything. And looks visually ok. So for the last week I’ve been going out and just firing her up. Starts right up every time! second kick! I have 93 and sea foam trying to clear it out a bit at all and gonna take it off and clean once or twice well. 2 wheels said something about the avgas a while back. Just can’t get the ambition to go and hunt this stuff down. I also think it may just needs ridden well. Hasnt been in 3-5 yrs!

Riding with the seafoam in it may do the trick. As for the airleak you can get some thing like wd40 and spray it around the rubber carb inlet while the engine is running. If the idle picks up you have found it. That doesn't always work, but it is fast. Rigging a spark plug up with a Schrader valve and connecting it to an air source, tdc of the compression stroke, and spray soapy water around the same area always works for me. If you try that with a two stroke, limit the air pressure to under 10 lbs.

I use avgas to store and clean. It doesn't gum and as my son is fond of saying 'takes white off of rice'.

Wow!!! Got her out today finally!! So much fun! So I plan to run this tank with the sea foam and probably clean carb again. Runs perfect with no issues with choke pulled. I didn’t try to shut it off. Was haven’t a blast and didn’t wanna stop!

Haha yea for sure man! It’s the best! Besides the fact of sitting around all winter and now every muscle known to man is sore!! Well worth it!! Like a chainsaw in two wheels on steroids!! BRAP!