250F Tuning? Idle?& carb

Ok so deal is I got the stock back in. It fired right up. Idled with the choke on and as soon as I turn it off. The bike shuts off! Any opinions? The jets I had bought Though the bike will run with choke off. What to do?

Buy an aftermarket fuel screw. buy it now. I have a Dr D in mine and it is a necessary item, should have been stock. The screw is direct bottom of the carb in the slot leave out in the bowl. It is a pain to get to, a tiny flathead screw and you can never be sure if the screwdriver blade is engaged when trying to adjust. Mine needs a 1/4 one way or the other every time I ride, and sometimes twice if the afternoon heats up. The a mart is anchored to the body and has a dial finger turnable. Need.

ps yeah I am at the track :P

Alright so here is the gig. I had someone just stop and take a look at what was going on. We got it running the best it has. Prob is it will only run with choke on. Now if u leave the choke out and go two turns in on the idle screw and kick it. It will fire right up and then turn idle back out. Now if u leave the idle set and try to kick it will not start. So to start it I need choke pulled. Two turns in on the idle screw, fire it up, turn it back out. What the hell?

35QqZJC.png

Did you get the manual with the bike?
You want to lightly seat #12 then back it off 3/4 - 1 1/2 turns then while keeping the bike running go in and/or out 1/4 turn at a time to tweak. It is very hard to do without a hand turnable.

Last edited:
Yea I got the aftermarket screw in and is out at two turns with stock jets. But runs great now but only with choke. Kinda like the choke is messed up. I just don’t understand what can go wrong with it

Yea that’s exactly my thoughts. So what the hell do I gotta do. Turn fuel screw in? And compensate for it? Buy a new choke and see if that works? Definitely has something to do with choke and air! At least I think!! Haha! No pro here

Heh I’m no pro either. I have a penchant for taking things apart, just to see what the insides look like. Always seem to get it back together and rippin! The manual, a strong mechanical aptitude and attention to detail is all you need and sound like you have all 3. You’ll get it handled. How
did you settle on 2 turns out for the fs? Is that where it ran best?

Last edited:
No actually that was stock or assuming stock when I got it. I checked it before I pulled the carb apart and put it back to what it was. And like I said I’ve got two feet of snow and can’t get it out. But I might get it on a stand and go through a few gears. Honestly. I think the valves are gummed up a little ( not stuck). And think I just need to shred to clean her out with a little sea foam and a few tanks. Also gonna grab a new choke just to help the curiosity!!

Choke went bad on mine, but it wouldn’t stay pulled. I cut a piece of vent tube and sliced it down the side and would slip it over the shaft to keep it held open. Did that for a year! eventually got
Sick of that and bought a new one. Didn’t want to blow $50 on something I need once, for about 20 seconds, per ride. Choke is essentially just a small spring loaded plug. If it won’t run without it pulled them the choke isn’t the problem, it’s doing it’s job of enrichment

Hahaha ohhhh man!! Had some beers and reading the last sentence. I don’t know why but it is throwing me off the way u worded! Ok so the choke is not the prob if I am understanding? And if not, then what’s the next thing I should look at?