To bail or not to bail?

Bail or not?

• Total voters
So what you're saying is that yd and Jax would run from a fight? :stirthepot: :lol:

You have a point though, everyone one is wired different. I was in the "bail" camp until I saw a buddy break his leg bailing on a jump that IMO he shouldn't have.

Yes, I am a poooosey!! :prof: or :thinking: am I a crazy mofo that isn't scared of the dirt you are a Pooosey for not jumping :lol:

If you know how to jump and roll you should be good. :thumb:

check out some these guys and how high they jump from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEeqHj3Nj2c

I cased one last summer and I stayed on the bike, hitting the bike and taking the bars to the chest then over the bars then the bike landed on me. Lets just say I was one hurting MOFO!!:cripple: IF I could have or thought about bailing, I think I would have faired a little better but it is debatable. I remember POTO bailing when he came up short I am sure it was either instinct or knowlege but a broken leg over a broken back still sounds allot better and looking at it now it is wander that bike didn't crush him. :noidea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVlFqiErfyc

That's almost exactly what happened to me on my last crash. I bailed forward, and the bike clobbered me. Sure as hell wouldn't have stayed on the bike...why would anyone! End result was only a broken wrist and a rattled brain.

When it comes to saving my balls or my legs....strap me in a wheelchair for 6 months, I'm keeping my balls. :smirk:

Lets not discuss what he should have done, he was :f:ed either way. :lol:

Honestly, I probably would have stayed with it, and regretted it. If you can land good, you can reduce the injuries a lot. Like Jax posted the freerunners, those guys can take falls. It's all about the art of falling and rolling. Besides, bailing is always more fun!

Just roll with it. :cool:

The thing to remember with freerunners is, they aren't going 30 or 40 mph before they jump, they don't have to set up for their jump mid-air(imperfect base[bike] v. perfect base[flat stable surface]) and they aren't wearing pounds of gear. If you stick with the bike the suspension is gonna do what suspension does and slow your fall, AND you're using your legs too, versus bailing where at best you just have your legs to slow the fall...

It really all boils down to situation.

Also, for staying on the bike, you could get that brand new set of Renthals smashed through your face.

Probable Injuries-

To bail: Legs, back, arms, wrist

To stay: Testiculars, face (God forbid...), spine, penis (depends on the angle of the dangle, imagine that being in the wrong place at the wrong time) :jawdrop:

Come on guys...the answer should be obvious!! :smirk:

now, what i would have done is pushed the bike under me to propel me to sliding down the face of the landing like a bad ass, still would get owned and possibly hit by the bike but probly wouldnt get any broken bones or very few

James

Staff member
now, what i would have done is pushed the bike under me to propel me to sliding down the face of the landing like a bad ass, still would get owned and possibly hit by the bike but probly wouldnt get any broken bones or very few
The logic is sound, however good luck. :lol: This stuff happens so fast that it's nearly impossible to "think it through", pretty much has to be reflex.

BTW I highly doubt that he could've propelled himself that far though. :shocked:

Ok, here is my view on things.. I have been in several crashes. After review this crash I too would have bailed..
90% of all crashes bailing from the bike most of the time will result in a higher degree of injury. But there is a few crashes that you will fair better if your bail from the bike... This to me is one of them.. The reason I say this is because of the fact the bike is going to frame out..

James claims that the suspension will slow you down lessing the damage.. Unfortunatly in the way this bike was going to land is not the case[pun intended] The bike is going to land in two options. you have the frame out i.e. landing directly on the frame inbetween the wheels on the peak of the landing if he tried to pull the front wheel down and over the peak of the landing. This well will be no diffrent then bailing and now the rider is in extream proximity of the bike landing on him. or.. he lands on rear wheel which he will just be pulled right off the bike directly into the ground butt first.. I see no option where the suspension of the bike being able to slow his decent.. With that stayin on the bike only would have added to being in way to close proximity of the bike possibly resulting in a foot ped in the head, neck, spine, abdomen possibly resulting in death, or paraplegic or quadriplegic....

A jump of that speed that angle and height is just going to F your world up..

James

Staff member
The reason I say this is because of the fact the bike is going to frame out..
Yes the bike did frame out, however the suspension travel still did slow you down in the process though. The only time what you're referring to happens is if you land on a supercross style landing, where you can balance the bike on its frame/engine case (without the wheels touching the ground). In that case, yes you wouldn't gain anything by staying on, however those type of jumps are very rare in MX.

James claims that the suspension will slow you down lessing the damage.. Unfortunatly in the way this bike was going to land is not the case[pun intended] The bike is going to land in two options. you have the frame out i.e. landing directly on the frame inbetween the wheels on the peak of the landing
You see those screenshots I posted in the OP? He didn't "case", his suspension bottomed out until the frame hit. So the suspension did work.