To bail or not to bail?

Bail or not?

• Total voters

James

Staff member
Hindsight's 20-20 so can't bag on the kid either way. Plus not sure how he gets around with balls as big as his. :shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNeJ2nWt9Oo

bail2.png

bail.png

bail3.png

I've never hidden the fact that I believe that you should stay on the bike unless it's going to land on you. I personally think that this is a great example of that. You can clearly see that the bike landed on it's wheels and the suspension compressed. So why not use that to your advantage?

I noticed that in the Youtube comments a few were saying that staying on the bike would've compressed/broke his spine. :noidea: Unless I'm not seeing something right, hitting the ground with your feet on the pegs (using the suspension) will be "softer" then hitting the dirt with your feet directly.

Granted you'll still get banged up by staying on but I'm pretty sure that your chances will be better.

BTW any update on the damage to him?

I'd have stuck with it. It may have hurt him buut not as bad as it did... definitely no broken legs. If he'd have stuck with it I'd think it would have broken his hand or wrist at worst... and endoed out. This reminds me of the guy at X games awhile back. He was going for a front flip and bailed, BUT THE BIKE LANDED ITSELF. He ended up with a list of brokens...

IMO always stay with the bike, it seems to protect the rider more often than not.

Hindsight's 20-20 so can't bag on the kid either way. Plus not sure how he gets around with balls as big as his. :shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNeJ2nWt9Oo

View attachment 8693

View attachment 8695

View attachment 8694

I've never hidden the fact that I believe that you should stay on the bike unless it's going to land on you. I personally think that this is a great example of that. You can clearly see that the bike landed on it's wheels and the suspension compressed. So why not use that to your advantage?

I noticed that in the Youtube comments a few were saying that staying on the bike would've compressed/broke his spine. :noidea: Unless I'm not seeing something right, hitting the ground with your feet on the pegs (using the suspension) will be "softer" then hitting the dirt with your feet directly.

Granted you'll still get banged up by staying on but I'm pretty sure that your chances will be better.

BTW any update on the damage to him?

Yes you would have landed with feet on pegs but your legs wouldn't have been strong enough to keep your butt from landing on the seat and hitting it hard so hard that it most likely would have compressed your spine and snapped it. I don't know, either way your phucked and something is going to get broke but legs vs. back....I choose legs.

I met a kid on the trails last year riding a Razor because he couldn't ride a bike anymore after he over jumped a jump and did this and stayed with the bike. He is now paralyzed.

James

Staff member
Yes you would have landed with feet on pegs but your legs wouldn't have been strong enough to keep your butt from landing on the seat and hitting it hard so hard that it most likely would have compressed your spine and snapped it. I don't know, either way your phucked and something is going to get broke but legs vs. back....I choose legs.
Good point. :thumb: However if you look closely didn't he land on his feet and then arse? Wouldn't that pretty much be the same as hitting the seat, but with more force?

I can say that he definitely made the right choice to bail. The suspension fully compressed into the face of the jump with no additional weight. When the suspension compressed out, not only do his legs and back take the blow, but then he is wrapped up going into or over the bars, much closer to the flying 220 lb piece of steel and aluminum. Also, think back to when you cased something hard and came down on your balls, now compare it to this. There's more to it, it's a problem for your bike to come down on you, but you coming down on the bike can be just as bad. The suspension wouldn't slow this guy down, his bike would have just done more damage, but in the end, it's all to the half second discretion of the rider. Heal up Rice :thumb:

I cased one last summer and I stayed on the bike, hitting the bike and taking the bars to the chest then over the bars then the bike landed on me. Lets just say I was one hurting MOFO!!:cripple: IF I could have or thought about bailing, I think I would have faired a little better but it is debatable. I remember POTO bailing when he came up short I am sure it was either instinct or knowlege but a broken leg over a broken back still sounds allot better and looking at it now it is wander that bike didn't crush him. :noidea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVlFqiErfyc

James

Staff member
I can say that he definitely made the right choice to bail. The suspension fully compressed into the face of the jump with no additional weight. When the suspension compressed out, not only do his legs and back take the blow, but then he is wrapped up going into or over the bars, much closer to the flying 220 lb piece of steel and aluminum. Also, think back to when you cased something hard and came down on your balls, now compare it to this. There's more to it, it's a problem for your bike to come down on you, but you coming down on the bike can be just as bad. The suspension wouldn't slow this guy down, his bike would have just done more damage, but in the end, it's all to the half second discretion of the rider. Heal up Rice :thumb:
I somewhat disagree with you, I strongly believe that staying on the bike will slow you down in a "safer" way. However JAX did bring up a good point on the seat hitting the arse (injuring your spine).

Yes the suspension fully compressed, however it's supposed to do that. What you're forgetting is that the suspension will slowly bottom out as it goes through the full stroke. Dirt doesn't give, you'll stop as soon as you hit it. Compare it to the SAFER walls that NASCAR has, that extra little room that it gives to slow you down has been proven to reduce the impact force.

Also, think back to when you cased something hard and came down on your balls, now compare it to this.
Go hit a 50ft tabletop like you normally would. Next bail on this same jump and land on your feet. Which is going to hurt more? :noidea:

James

Staff member
I cased one last summer and I stayed on the bike, hitting the bike and taking the bars to the chest then over the bars then the bike landed on me. Lets just say I was one hurting MOFO!!:cripple: IF I could have or thought about bailing, I think I would have faired a little better but it is debatable.
That's the thing, for all we know you would've broken both your legs after bailing and landing directly on them. :noidea:

All that nonsense to save .12 seconds a lap? Speed is measured at the finish line. Granted it looks cool and all but I dont see the point. I think in this instance the risk outweighed the reward 10 fold. Look at stewart you can be the fastest guy on the track but if you cant make it to the finish line you get no points. Just my two cents.

I somewhat disagree with you, I strongly believe that staying on the bike will slow you down in a "safer" way. However JAX did bring up a good point on the seat hitting the arse (injuring your spine).

Yes the suspension fully compressed, however it's supposed to do that. What you're forgetting is that the suspension will slowly bottom out as it goes through the full stroke. Dirt doesn't give, you'll stop as soon as you hit it. Compare it to the SAFER walls that NASCAR has, that extra little room that it gives to slow you down has been proven to reduce the impact force.

Go hit a 50ft tabletop like you normally would. Next bail on this same jump and land on your feet. Which is going to hurt more? :noidea:
I can't say for sure, like I said, it's all in the discretion of the rider. Joe Rice said he felt like he did the right thing, and I agree, I would have more than likely gotten off :noidea:

James

Staff member
I can't say for sure, like I said, it's all in the discretion of the rider. Joe Rice said he felt like he did the right thing, and I agree, I would have more than likely gotten off :noidea:
Like I said in my OP, don't want to second guess him, hindsight's 20-20. I'm just curious as to why people bail in situations like this.

I think it's a fight or flight reaction thing. The flight reaction is to bail, while the fight is to stick with it.

That's my guess anyways...

James

Staff member
I think it's a fight or flight reaction thing. The flight reaction is to bail, while the fight is to stick with it.

That's my guess anyways...
So what you're saying is that yd and Jax would run from a fight? :stirthepot: :lol:

You have a point though, everyone one is wired different. I was in the "bail" camp until I saw a buddy break his leg bailing on a jump that IMO he shouldn't have.