Three Day Dual Sport to Stonyford!

Well, I was supposed to dual sport up to MoonRocks for a weekend of Desert riding but my plans were thrown aside by some really nasty weather along the roadways I was supposed to travel. So, watching the weather intently I made the call not to go to MoonRocks and headed to Stonyford instead. I totally made the right call. The weather was fantastic all weekend and the ride there was all back roads instead of highway. My friend Reuel was camped at Stonyford and had been there for a couple weeks. It was his last weekend before returning work as a logger.

So, I got up early Friday morning and packed up all my gear. Wow, I had a lot of crap. I had my sleeping bag tied up to the back of my bike. Had five layer of clothing and gear on. One full size back stuffed to the brim. One medium sized camel pack. A pair of shoes tied to the outside of back pack, and when I got about 20 miles from camp I grabbed a six pack of beer and put the plastic bag handles in my chin strap of my helmet. :lol: No where else to put it and can't lose the beer. :smirk:

Here are the pics from the ride to Stonyford from my house.

DSCN0513.jpgDSCN0515.jpgDSCN0516.jpgDSCN0517.jpgDSCN0518.jpgDSCN0523.jpgDSCN0522.jpgDSCN0521.jpgDSCN0520.jpgDSCN0524.jpgDSCN0525.jpgDSCN0526.jpg

Arrive at camp in less than two hours from my house and only 92 miles. :rocker:

Much more to follow......

Attachments

• DSCN0512.jpg
    DSCN0512.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 92
So after arriving at camp and having a beer and a sandwich, it's time to go for an afternoon ride. Sweet! Reuel, myself and his son the grundle, head out for some kick ass trail riding. We did a nice 50 miles loop and got back around 7pm. It was a great ride except for my dirt nap where I broke a rib and bruised up my right knee pretty bad. Oh, well no pain no gain so I continue on for the day. It was great. Got back to camp and had a few beers and a pain pill. All better now. :smirk:

Here are some of the ride photos. We had a good pace going so not a lot of picks of actual riding stuff. But there are some good ones.

DSCN0543.jpgDSCN0538.jpgDSCN0530.jpgDSCN0536.jpgDSCN0545.jpgDSCN0542.jpgDSCN0544.jpgDSCN0535.jpgDSCN0531.jpgDSCN0546.jpg

I even let the boy ride the DRZ for a loop around the park. He liked it. I took his KTM 200 out for a loop and did not like it.

More to follow.

We made some serious grub, drank some good drinks, and had an awesome fire while we talked about riding dirt bikes and how great we ride and how everyone else are such squids. :lol: Squid was the word of the day for sure.

The next morning we woke up when the sun poked through the windows of the rv at about 9am. Made coffee and a stellar breakfast and headed out for day 2. This time it was just the big boys and the grundle was not feeling well.

DSCN0558.jpgDSCN0557.jpgDSCN0555.jpgDSCN0582.jpgDSCN0554.jpgDSCN0579.jpgDSCN0570.jpgDSCN0574.jpgDSCN0577.jpgDSCN0580.jpgDSCN0571.jpgDSCN0575.jpgDSCN0581.jpgDSCN0551.jpgDSCN0572.jpgDSCN0559.jpgDSCN0576.jpgDSCN0560.jpgDSCN0588.jpg

More to follow.....

After another great day of riding we get back to camp and do the BBQ, Beer, music, talk about how much we love riding dirt bikes session, and then off to bed. Another day awaits me as Reuel is packing up and leaving in the morning. I have friends that are coming out to meet me for a day ride. So, I'm waiting and waiting and it's about noon so I decide I'm just going to pack up and ride home. Well about 4 miles outside of camp my friends come pulling around the corner. Now I had to ungear and get ready for another day. :banana: They parked right up the road at the nearest staging area and off we went.

DSCN0650.jpgDSCN0675.jpgDSCN0685.jpgDSCN0686.jpgDSCN0694.jpgDSCN0617.jpgDSCN0613.jpgDSCN0619.jpgDSCN0681.jpgDSCN0692.jpgDSCN0636.jpgDSCN0684.jpgDSCN0689.jpgDSCN0618.jpg

More to follow...

Here are the riding pics after meeting up the Sunday crew to ride!

DSCN0701.jpgDSCN0692.jpgDSCN0696.jpgDSCN0707.jpgDSCN0703.jpgDSCN0700.jpgDSCN0617.jpgDSCN0697.jpgDSCN0706.jpgDSCN0711.jpgDSCN0694.jpgDSCN0704.jpgDSCN0698.jpgDSCN0705.jpgDSCN0702.jpgDSCN0695.jpgDSCN0699.jpg

Long weekend, 323 miles total on the bike, great weather, epic soil, etc.......
This concluded the weekend as I went home after this days ride.

Nice dude! Always an excellent adventure with you. I can't wait to go to Stony this weekend! Make a trip back to ride with me?
Conditions look pretty good, how are the creek crossings? Did you ride 27 or 28?

This thread is full of :rocker: and:banana:

man, that place is awesome. thanks for all the pics, Rock. That weather you mentioned was something, we passed through the blackest cloud I've ever been inside of going through Truckee on Friday night. 80 was nasty but only for a brief stretch. Stony looks primo!

Nice dude! Always an excellent adventure with you. I can't wait to go to Stony this weekend! Make a trip back to ride with me?
Conditions look pretty good, how are the creek crossings? Did you ride 27 or 28?

This thread is full of :rocker: and:banana:

27 is dead to me. I don't have any reason to ride that boulder field on a heavy bike. I rode it a couple weeks before and it is all clear. Anyway, I'm bored of Stony already and the trails around here are starting to melt off so it's time for trial work for the next month. Lot's of downfall this year just like last and lots of work to be done.

Wow, what fun! Wish it were me, except the rib part:crash: Time for an oil change! I havent been to Stonyford, closest I've come is Cow Mt.. Your report makes me hungry for steak, Stony and riding like now.
Excellent report.

:thumb:

27 is dead to me. I don't have any reason to ride that boulder field on a heavy bike. I rode it a couple weeks before and it is all clear. Anyway, I'm bored of Stony already and the trails around here are starting to melt off so it's time for trial work for the next month. Lot's of downfall this year just like last and lots of work to be done.

Cool thanks for the info. I'll have to make a trip over that way in May sometime.

epic... how do you find the time to take so many pics

I'm just really really fast. :smirk:

I have my camera mounted on my chest protector in a pelican case. I can get my camera out and take a pic and put it back away in about 10 seconds. I used to carry it in my backpack but always missed the good stuff. Where it is now I can easily use it when I see that perfect shot. Camera never leaves my side on a trip either. I took about 350 photos and sorted through those for the RR.

I'm just really really fast. :smirk:

I have my camera mounted on my chest protector in a pelican case. I can get my camera out and take a pic and put it back away in about 10 seconds. I used to carry it in my backpack but always missed the good stuff. Where it is now I can easily use it when I see that perfect shot. Camera never leaves my side on a trip either. I took about 350 photos and sorted through those for the RR.

yea even with my gopro and easy access to take pics i never do.. i set it to film and forget about it just about every time.