The Official DBA Members Quote Thread

I grew up on a farm.....

Didn't know that, no need for me to continue then... My dad was a cattle buyer,seller and auctioneer... I've been on many a business trip with him to feedlots, ranches, etc. during my "younger years"...

It cracks me up when people say... "look at the size of the balls on that COW"... :shocked:

James

Staff member
Didn't know that, no need for me to continue then... My dad was a cattle buyer,seller and auctioneer... I've been on many a business trip with him to feedlots, ranches, etc. during my "younger years"...

It cracks me up when people say... "look at the size of the balls on that COW"... :shocked:
:thumb:

We raised bull calfs and then sold them as steers.

I used to go to work with my dad when he auctioneered at the stockyards. I got to work the "receiving pens" when the cattle came out of the ring/scale. The scale operator (sitting up high and being able to see where I was) would have fun letting a "one eyed", broken horned Hereford cow (mean as hell) out and not alert me of it until it was almost too late (sometimes it was) where I had to run and jump on the fence or gate to avoid getting run over or gored... HE thought it was hilarious.

I used to go to work with my dad when he auctioneered at the stockyards. I got to work the "receiving pens" when the cattle came out of the ring/scale. The scale operator (sitting up high and being able to see where I was) would have fun letting a "one eyed", broken horned Hereford cow (mean as hell) out and not alert me of it until it was almost too late (sometimes it was) where I had to run and jump on the fence or gate to avoid getting run over or gored... HE thought it was hilarious.

That is awesome. Too bad you didn't have a GoPro strapped to your head. :lol:

That is awesome. Too bad you didn't have a GoPro strapped to your head. :lol:

yeah, the one that points back at the persons face... there would have been a whole lotta of AHHHHH SHIIIIITs going on..... :eek:

and I should add that all the running was in cowboy boots on roughed up concrete... those freaking cows didn't care if they ran straight into the gate or fence... WTF they already had 1 eye missing... they'd go full bore into it fall get up, shake it off and look for me. I'd be stanidng on one rail from where they could reach, they see me, snort and try again.

Dan the scale operator would sometimes leave the MIC on and I could hear him laughing... (that futher mucker)... THEN he'd proceed to let THE NEXT cow out.... shit just got real then... :lol:

Last edited:

James

Staff member
yeah, the one that points back at the persons face... there would have been a whole lotta of AHHHHH SHIIIIITs going on..... :eek:

and I should add that all the running was in cowboy boots on roughed up concrete... those freaking cows didn't care if they ran straight into the gate or fence... WTF they already had 1 eye missing... they'd go full bore into it fall get up, shake it off and look for me. I'd be stanidng on one rail from where they could reach, they see me, snort and try again.

Dan the scale operator would sometimes leave the MIC on and I could hear him laughing... (that futher mucker)... THEN he'd proceed to let THE NEXT cow out.... shit just got real then... :lol:
This could be a reality tv show, heck it at least was for him. :lol:

This could be a reality tv show, heck it at least was for him. :lol:

Especially when dad would ask... so, how'd it go today???

Thankfully the truckers would help out once they pulled up to load. I was "usually" able to take care of this by climbing over a couple fences to open another gate across the alley that would trap the cow in one spot... but if it decided to run BACK to where it came from that's when all the shit would go south... the next one would come out, then the next... depending on how fast I could FIX IT. THEY (my dad and the scale guy) were on a time schedule but once in a while if it got too F'd up they'd stop to give me a chance to catch up. I had to read the numbers off the ear tags to figure out who they belonged to, etc. etc. etc.:shocked:..... :foul:

Memories never to be forgotten... :thumb:

and all this when I'm around 12-14 years old, maybe younger. Throw a kid that age out there now and and see what happens... can't say you'd see nothing but "asses and elbows" cuz that's what was going on when I was doing it... but in an organized fashion.... :prof:

They'd be crying for mommy real quick... :cry:

and all this when I'm around 12-14 years old, maybe younger. Throw a kid that age out there now and and see what happens... can't say you'd see nothing but "asses and elbows" cuz that's what was going on when I was doing it... but in an organized fashion.... :prof:

They'd be crying for mommy real quick... :cry:
:lol: Great story Rez! :thumb: You should talk to Monkey-Boy, he is a Rustler at the local cattle auction house. He is constantly jumping gates when the bulls are running. He has a video of him getting stampeded - since I'm his dad, I had to leave the room before I burst out laughing. :lol:

:lol: Great story Rez! :thumb: You should talk to Monkey-Boy, he is a Rustler at the local cattle auction house. He is constantly jumping gates when the bulls are running. He has a video of him getting stampeded - since I'm his dad, I had to leave the room before I burst out laughing. :lol:

Awesome... then you and he can understand exactly what I'm talking about... the only thing meaner than a one eyed cow was a Brahma bull... they're just plain nasty... we had one jump OVER the fence while he was in the incoming pens before the auction... not sure if a cowboy poked him with a "E" prod or what but wound up in the alley that ran the entire distance in the back. all he had to do was jump the fence to "be free"... If I remember correctly they had to use a tractor to help push him back up to the auction barn. never did get all the way out.