The Guns Thread

It's an air cannon. It uses scuba tanks to fill the chamber and then has an electronic ball valve to release the pressure, breach load, and uses 3# lead fishing weights or beer cans full of cement. It will launch easily a quarter mile. We endend up mounting it to a 3/4 ton flatbed truck because it jumps about three feet when fired.

It's an air cannon. It uses scuba tanks to fill the chamber and then has an electronic ball valve to release the pressure, breach load, and uses 3# lead fishing weights or beer cans full of cement. It will launch easily a quarter mile. We endend up mounting it to a 3/4 ton flatbed truck because it jumps about three feet when fired.

I think we all would like a little demo:shocked: you need to go out and get some video of it cuz that just looks bad ass :thumb:

I think we all would like a little demo:shocked: you need to go out and get some video of it cuz that just looks bad ass :thumb:

I have a video on VHS that I need to convert to DVD. The video shows us shooting at friends junk yard for the first time. It went 500 yards in a strait line, went through three old commercial refrigerator freezers, and half way into an Oak tree that was about 10' around. We could see through all the holes in the fridges and could see the ball lodged into the tree. It was amazing. :thumb:

I just bought two boxes of Federal 100gr .243 for $13.95ea. for my son last thursday at Wally World.

How do those Federals shoot? They are the cheapest on the shelf at my local shop, so I'm wondering how their performance is.

I have a cheap .45 auto handgun that I bought for $150.00 few years ago does really good. It is High Point. check them out not bad for the price.
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/handguns_45acp.html
Wow, that's pretty crazy for the price. Is it semi-auto? It sure dont look pretty, but who cares, tools dont need to look pretty.

I would be very carefull very carefull with that gun...:shocked:

I hear ya. I have to make sure I remember the number 1 rule, don't point at anything you dont intent to shoot. :prof:

My handgun to rifle ratio is 2 to 1, so yeah I like handguns. :thumb: There's a lot of laws regarding handguns though and they vary state to state, so make sure you read up on those before you get one. Plus the consequences are generally higher if you do something stupid. Here's some info on if you ever decide to carry, however you still have a bunch of years to go before you can. http://www.usacarry.com/virginia_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

My favorite handgun? Glock 27 w/night sights, standard mag is 9 +1 and my spare is a 15 round. People say that you'll either love or hate the feel of a Glock, thankfully it fits me perfectly. :rocker: They're very easy to disassemble and clean, if you want to that is, it's a Glock for crying out loud. :lol: Also the lack of an external safety is a plus IMO.:thumb:

Man, I can't wait to get my CCW in a bunch of years. :P Yeah, my Dad is a little iffy on the handgun, likely because it's easier for something to go wrong. But he just wants us to wait awhile, so I'll have a handgun soon enough. My stepmom is getting a revolver .38 special for Christmas that we'll get to shoot. And then eventually I will buy my own.

That Glock 27 looks like a pretty nice gun. I don't know if I really like short barreled, compact guns. But then again, I've never shot either handguns. It does make a lot of sense to conceal carry a compact...Except for Ted Nugent who carries a damn Kimber 10mm. :smirk:

I have a video on VHS that I need to convert to DVD. The video shows us shooting at friends junk yard for the first time. It went 500 yards in a strait line, went through three old commercial refrigerator freezers, and half way into an Oak tree that was about 10' around. We could see through all the holes in the fridges and could see the ball lodged into the tree. It was amazing. :thumb:

Good gravy! And I thought my mini black powder cannon was badass. :cry::lol:

Well my son got his gun this February and only shot one box of ammo through it then. Last weekend I took him out and put out 5 clay pigeons on the ground and he dusted everyone of them and on missed twice. I was pretty impressed with his shooting no more that he has shot the gun. I would say the federals are good enough for what we use them for.

Well my son got his gun this February and only shot one box of ammo through it then. Last weekend I took him out and put out 5 clay pigeons on the ground and he dusted everyone of them and on missed twice. I was pretty impressed with his shooting no more that he has shot the gun. I would say the federals are good enough for what we use them for.

Ok, great. Good enough for when I want to step out back and sling some lead. And then I'll use the Core-Lokts for hunting or long distance.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

mine - mossberg 500 20g 6 shot pump action shot gun
marlin 60SS .22 15 shot semi automatic rifle

dads - ruger LCP 380 7 shot semi auto handgun

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

James

Staff member
I hear ya. I have to make sure I remember the number 1 rule, don't point at anything you dont intent to shoot. :prof:
:thumb: That always goes for any gun.
That Glock 27 looks like a pretty nice gun. I don't know if I really like short barreled, compact guns. But then again, I've never shot either handguns. It does make a lot of sense to conceal carry a compact...Except for Ted Nugent who carries a damn Kimber 10mm. :smirk:
Yeah the compact 27 isn't for everyone. Traditional shooters will have their pinky finger hanging of the bottom, but since I pull with my middle finger...
I do also have a full sized 9 mm :thinking: which I still haven't bought a tac light for. :bonk:

this thread needs pics! i can get some for yall if you do the same :thumb:

TSP.gif

James

Staff member
What's a good pistol grip shotgun for home defense? You know the one you grab when somebody kicks the door in at 2am.

I think that any of the big mfgs like Mossberg, Remmington, etc make fine shotguns. I'm thinking that a pump might be actually better than a semi auto because of that unmistakable sound from chambering a round. It will make a lot of bad guys go away without a shot needing to be fired.

I don't think a pistol grip is really the best. It's hard to hit anything and the recoil from a 12 ga is hard on your wrist. I would get at least a folding stock with a pistol grip.

You can get a combo as well. I know that Mossberg sells a combo that has a 18 1/2 and a 28 inch barrels.

James

Staff member
Yeah I do want a pump action, because like you said the sound alone is about all you need.

I'd prefer not having a full size as the it could be a little problematic to use inside, close quarters and all. But the folding stock idea is worth checking out, I do know that Indiana doesn't allow less then 26" for shotguns.