The DBA TDay Ride Report

Timo and I decided to turn back. The next drop off was about 12' :eek:

DSCN3809.jpg

I first ran into that drop a few years back at a pigfest with Agent2 in Goler. I decided to go for one last quick solo ride before the day ended. Started at the airstrip and found a path up the east ridge of the mountains directly over the airstrip. At this point I figured :thinking: I would make it a loop, finding my way to Goler Gulch and then South back to the truck. The sun was now behind the mountains to the West and it was quickly getting dimmer. I found this little drop (above) going towards the Gulch. I was thinking to myself, "don't go down anything you can't go back up." I went down the small drop only to find that 12' drop :shocked:. Panic mode started to set in. I didn't have a headlight. "What if they are all like this?" I quickly turned around and start racing North to find an easier way into the Gulch before the lights went out. I found dead end after dead end or rather I didn't find anything that I thought I could back track easily. Finally I found a section where the Gulch was in sight though without a trail and fairly steep with not such a great transition to the floor. I ended up walking/tumbling down with the bike. But I was in the wash! I raced South through the Gulch making the camp right at dusk and avoiding an epic.

:ride:

James

Staff member
I first ran into that drop a few years back at a pigfest with Agent2 in Goler. I decided to go for one last quick solo ride before the day ended. Started at the airstrip and found a path up the east ridge of the mountains directly over the airstrip. At this point I figured :thinking: I would make it a loop, finding my way to Goler Gulch and then South back to the truck. The sun was now behind the mountains to the West and it was quickly getting dimmer. I found this little drop (above) going towards the Gulch. I was thinking to myself, "don't go down anything you can't go back up." I went down the small drop only to find that 12' drop :shocked:. Panic mode started to set in. I didn't have a headlight. "What if they are all like this?" I quickly turned around and start racing North to find an easier way into the Gulch before the lights went out. I found dead end after dead end or rather I didn't find anything that I thought I could back track easily. Finally I found a section where the Gulch was in sight though without a trail and fairly steep with not such a great transition to the floor. I ended up walking/tumbling down with the bike. But I was in the wash! I raced South through the Gulch making the camp right at dusk and avoiding an epic.

:ride:
:shocked: Damn, ok everyone remind me NOT to ride with this guy. :P

Glad it all worked out for you, it could have gotten ugly :thumb:

how come i never go on the rides to the rocks? i guess i pick the wrong groups to go with... :noidea: I also got a way of avoiding the camera too... :smirk:

how come i never go on the rides to the rocks? i guess i pick the wrong groups to go with... :noidea: I also got a way of avoiding the camera too... :smirk:

yea i did the same... ahh jsut go for a family ride or a short ride then get back and do the big boy stuff... then i get back and the big boy rides all left :(

yea i did the same... ahh jsut go for a family ride or a short ride then get back and do the big boy stuff... then i get back and the big boy rides all left :(
yeah next time i guess i'll just hang out till noon when they leave instead of waking up and going on a early ride... bunch of slackers :smirk:

yeah next time i guess i'll just hang out till noon when they leave instead of waking up and going on a early ride... bunch of slackers :smirk:

or us early risers will jsut have to man up and go explore instead waiting around for a guide :smirk:... that was my thing i keept waiting for soemone who knows the area. Kinda stupid considering it would take a serious moron to truly get lost at spangler

or us early risers will jsut have to man up and go explore instead waiting around for a guide :smirk:... that was my thing i keept waiting for soemone who knows the area. Kinda stupid considering it would take a serious moron to truly get lost at spangler

yeah i made it back alone and i get lost really easy! lol... this was my lost loop last year, we were going counterclockwise and the blue lines where i lost the pack and ended up going right at the Wilderness Area :bonk:
untitled-4.jpg

Come on Red, you really thought you were faster than the camera? :lol: I have to admit, at least you try, thats more than me. :thumb:
DSC06898.jpg

DSC06899.jpg
:lol: there we go :thumb: Hillclimb Dave and his son are nuts for going up that! i was third in line, looked back at you guys and was like "well i guess i'll go for it!" then everyone behind me went around.:lol:

James

Staff member
Well my adventure started at 11:00am on Monday November 22nd. I'm at work going through my email and I see my airline confirmation email, so I figured I'd better double check the departure time. Departure is at 6:00 am, correct, departure date is the 22nd, corr......wait a second that can't be right....triple checking....yup departure is 6:00am on Monday the 22nd. SON OF A :bleep:ing BEOTCH. &*&%$%$&%#@^&)(^@!#%&^&$#@$%^^ :foul::rant::cry:

Ok think fast James, ah ok lets call the good peeps at AMEX.

This is AMEX, I'm sorry that you missed your flight, that will be $ for another flight, hang on let check something else, well crap they just raised the fare it's now $$. :shocked: Ok lets see if we can get that first one back again, dang looks like that one is now $$$$. :cry:

So my trip was almost over before it'd even started, however we were able to get a last minute flight. :thumb:

So after a night of about 45 minutes of sleep we leave for the airport at 3 am. It's nice and quite.

DSCN0011.jpg

Due to the last minute flight I was blessed with the worst seats possible, so no sleeping on this flight, these guys had better be worth it. :smirk:

Flying into O'Hare

IMG_20101123_055745.jpg

We arrive to LAX a little late, so it was very brisk walk to the plane waiting on the tarmac. Then it's a short hop to Fresno. I thought I was going to die on this little puddle jumper. :shocked:

GOPR0423.jpg

Arrive in Fresno at 11:30ish.

So I'm walking to the baggage claim area and guess what this familiar looking kid is holding? :picard:

Short_Stack.jpg

I'll admit that that did make my day brighter, I really needed that laugh. :lol:

So we head out to the arrivals parking lane which is where Rack's waiting with the rig. Thanks to the airport police all I got was a "Hi I'm Rack, we gotta go", an we're off. :smirk:

Scenery

DSCN0015.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

Camp, to many quads though. :picard:
DSCN0025.jpg

Missy making sure that everything smells ok. :smirk:
DSCN0026.jpg

James

Staff member
First day riding - damn what the hell have I gotten myself into. :eek: For you guys that don't know what Indiana looks like, here you go. Yup for the most part it's flat and boring.

DSCN0183.jpg

It's like a fish out of water. :shocked:

The hill (mountain to me:P) overlooking our camp.

TDay_001.jpg

And in case you missed it earlier, here's my first dirt nap. :picard: Sorry about the bike Cpt. :pout:

Geek grilling up some good stuff.

TDay_004.jpg

Some of the TDay food.

TDay_005.jpg

Everyone enjoying a meal together. :thinking: Looks like we didn't have enough chairs. :smirk:

DSCN0042.jpg

This guy needs no introduction............as you can tell who it is by the Rockstar can he's ALWAYS holding. :P

DSCN0039.jpg

Shooting the shit around the campfire. :rocker:

TDay_002.jpg

Night shot.

TDay_003.jpg