250 The 1999 YZ250

Oh yeah downsiding is always easier than coming up short.. or long. There’s few jumps I actually get along with. Usually wind up cutting the track and hitting them over and over.

Thats what I did all day, just work on one set of jumps/corners. Still getting used to the YZ250. It's as fast as the 450's for sure.

IT'S ALIVE!!!! Finally!
Early on she seemed a bit sputtery up top so I dropped the MJ to a 170 and it seemed to help. Probably gonna drop it to the 168 next and see what happens. The plug is now dark, but not sooty, after a few hot laps and a plug chop. Running Yamalube today though.
Gonna take the 52 rear sprocket off tonight and put on a 49, along with a new Dunlop Geomax 33, and a chain.
Fuck this thing is fast. I could barely keep the rear tire behind me. A buddy stopped by and said that maybe that was because my sag was wrong. Hopefully the smaller sprocket and new tire will help.

Do you guys bottom your forks when you case a landing, or am I too heavy (185 lbs)???

Take a fistful of jets with you. Yes if you flatland you’ll Bottom out. Don,t go down to a 49 learn to shift instead. Motocross is work and learning to click gears is part of it as well as learning throttle control. Keeping it high in the rpms will limit the amount of wheel spin from trying to wick the throttle to get more power.

I have a fistful of jets.
I'm gonna do the 49. I remember complaining about this bike needing another gear when I rode it last, and now that I look at that other sprocket, it was a 48, so now I'm wishing I bought a 46. But the 49 will be better than the 52. The track that I visit is the best for me, not too aggressive, but does have some straights where the 52 tops out long before the next jump. My shifting is decent enough I think (for a guy my age) so it's not critical. I'm not trying to get a sponsor.
But you know I always appreciate the input I get here! I love this place and y'all!

Next question -
Just tried using my new tire stand to remove this Dunlop MX51 from the rear rim but ended up having to cut the bead wire with a whizzer wheel.
I have a set of tire spoons but they're only like 9 inches long, and they started to bend.
I definitely need a longer set.
Who's got a link to a nice strong set that they have experience with and recommend?

IT'S ALIVE!!!! Finally!
Early on she seemed a bit sputtery up top so I dropped the MJ to a 170 and it seemed to help. Probably gonna drop it to the 168 next and see what happens. The plug is now dark, but not sooty, after a few hot laps and a plug chop. Running Yamalube today though.
Gonna take the 52 rear sprocket off tonight and put on a 49, along with a new Dunlop Geomax 33, and a chain.
Fuck this thing is fast. I could barely keep the rear tire behind me. A buddy stopped by and said that maybe that was because my sag was wrong. Hopefully the smaller sprocket and new tire will help.

Do you guys bottom your forks when you case a landing, or am I too heavy (185 lbs)???

You are 30lbs to heavy for that bike w/stock springs. It is sprung for 155+-10lbs 4.8/0.43, so go up to a 5.0 rear+, and 0.44 front. 100mm sag, and 5.0" oil from the top on forks is the race measurements.

Next question -
Just tried using my new tire stand to remove this Dunlop MX51 from the rear rim but ended up having to cut the bead wire with a whizzer wheel.
I have a set of tire spoons but they're only like 9 inches long, and they started to bend.
I definitely need a longer set.
Who's got a link to a nice strong set that they have experience with and recommend?

I have 2 of these and two of an older set. The 12" is all you really need.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/726/43549/Tusk-Sure-Grip-Tire-Iron-

And these
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/726/6086/Terry-Cable-Ultimate-TyER-Iron

Thank you @PALMER84ONE !
Next question -
I'm putting on this new Dunlop MX33...is it directional?
Cant find anything that says it is, but it has some colored lines down one side of it. This makes me think it is. Spent many years working in tire shops to recognize these things.
Dont want to install it wrong...

Edit/ this bike is gonna be fucking TITS when I get done with it tonight!

Last edited:
Thank you @PALMER84ONE !
Next question -
I'm putting on this new Dunlop MX33...is it directional?
Cant find anything that says it is, but it has some colored lines down one side of it. This makes me think it is. Spent many years working in tire shops to recognize these things.
Dont want to install it wrong...

Edit/ this bike is gonna be fucking TITS when I get done with it tonight!
If a tire has NO ARROW FOR DIRECTION on the sidewall it is non-directional. The color strips mean nothing to the end user, just the mold operator.

You are 30lbs to heavy for that bike w/stock springs. It is sprung for 155+-10lbs 4.8/0.43, so go up to a 5.0 rear+, and 0.44 front. 100mm sag, and 5.0" oil from the top on forks is the race measurements.

If a tire has NO ARROW FOR DIRECTION on the sidewall it is non-directional. The color strips mean nothing to the end user, just the mold operator.
I concur with Palmer on these posts. :thumb:
I don’t know a lot about suspension, but I do know it starts with the springs. The clickers are only for fine tuning. If you have to crank the preload way down to bring in the sag or turn the clickers in real far, then you need the correct springs for your weight.

Copy that.
I looked at the tread pattern, it looked uni-directional enough for me to think it was. But I have a ton of Goodyear experience to know that those colored lines mean something.

Sorry, got my replies in a delayed fashion.
Thanks @Rolls and @PALMER84ONE .
I was thinking that maybe I was not sprung correctly at the track today.
Even though this bike is 20 years old, I friggin love it. It's so strong and fast, I dont think I will ever sell it. And when I jump it, it feels very light and balanced. Not like that WR400 I was riding.
I like it so much I would happily spend whatever on it to keep it going, and dont see a need to buy anything else.
As long as they keep making parts for it, I'm sold.
Love this bike.

Now if only my kid would stop telling me I need to speed up, while he goes by me on his YZ125...

Even though this bike is 20 years old, I friggin love it. It's so strong and fast, I dont think I will ever sell it. And when I jump it, it feels very light and balanced. Not like that WR400 I was riding.
I like it so much I would happily spend whatever on it to keep it going, and dont see a need to buy anything else.
Love this bike.

Now if only my kid would stop telling me I need to speed up, while he goes by me on his YZ125...

Ride the 125 more and it will make YOU a better rider.

99-11 engine is essentially the same. When the crank goes get the 01-02 and add a spline washer under the primary stack and it will lessen the price of an entire crank when you need a new one.

Minor porting changes in the jug, and jetting, well you either make that carb work, or dump it for the PWK of 02 and up. You can even get the 02 up harness w/CDI for pretty cheap used and change the dynamics.

Many people will remove the reed spacer that was introduced in 2001? or maybe it was 02 and bring their bikes to the quicker hit that you are experiencing with the 99-00. However, the flywheels have changed from the 99-01, 02, 03-05, 06 up as they started to add a little more weight to them to make them grunt a little easier that than wing off throttle.

I know a little about the YZ's. :thumb:

Love this bike.

Ride the 125 more and it will make YOU a better rider.

99-11 engine is essentially the same. When the crank goes get the 01-02 and add a spline washer under the primary stack and it will lessen the price of an entire crank when you need a new one.

Minor porting changes in the jug, and jetting, well you either make that carb work, or dump it for the PWK of 02 and up. You can even get the 02 up harness w/CDI for pretty cheap used and change the dynamics.

Many people will remove the reed spacer that was introduced in 2001? or maybe it was 02 and bring their bikes to the quicker hit that you are experiencing with the 99-00. However, the flywheels have changed from the 99-01, 02, 03-05, 06 up as they started to add a little more weight to them to make them grunt a little easier that than wing off throttle.

I know a little about the YZ's. :thumb:

This!!! Do this!

BE55F8F0-B6D8-4160-AD96-89BD43D7FDCC.jpeg