250 The 1999 YZ250

I don’t know what they use but their needles are a work of art. Absolutely amazing quality.
The same needle as the suzuki needle for a yZ250. But the jets are crap, If you know the taper, then you can order any needle listed in a parts catalog and get the same as a JD without paying 70+ for a kit.

The same needle as the suzuki needle for a yZ250. But the jets are crap, If you know the taper, then you can order any needle listed in a parts catalog and get the same as a JD without paying 70+ for a kit.

I’ve never seen needles this high in quality. They really are amazing. I looked for part numbers but there are none so I don’t know if they machine them there or not

Is it even worth trying to tune this thing in my garage in middle suburbia? I just took around the asphalt block after the recent float level rise and the MJ drop, and it's now sputtering before I get to 1/2 throttle.
Am I going to need to tune this thing at the track?
I remember all this crap from a year and a half ago, then parking it when I got the WR400. This shit is still unresolved.

Is it even worth trying to tune this thing in my garage in middle suburbia? I just took around the asphalt block after the recent float level rise and the MJ drop, and it's now sputtering before I get to 1/2 throttle.
Am I going to need to tune this thing at the track?
I remember all this crap from a year and a half ago, then parking it when I got the WR400. This shit is still unresolved.

Let’s go back to basics.
Fresh topend, stock bore.
Clean carb, float set, P.C. jet settings.
Pump premium mixed 32:1
Clean air filter that’s been properly oiled.
Elevation? Temp?
Do you have an in-line fuel filter?

Let’s go back to basics.
Fresh topend, stock bore. - check
Clean carb, float set, P.C. jet settings. - check
Pump premium mixed 32:1 - check
Clean air filter that’s been properly oiled. - check
Elevation? Temp? - Approx 1200-1400 ft AGL, approx 70 degrees F
Do you have an in-line fuel filter? - No

Update - Came home from work yesterday and there was a lot of gas under the bike. Came home today and there was a little.
Carb coming back off.

So the fuel leak from the float bowl has got me thinking this could be my whole problem, and would explain a lot. Not sure If I want to be right about about this, cuz I'm not sure I can fix it.
The float needle is new, and I dont think I can replace the seat because there is no part listed for it on the parts fiche...
It would also explain why so many other accounts I have read about it recently say this carb is junk.
So here is my test;
I folded a business card in half and clamped it to the float bowl gasket surface, holding the float up, and then hung it under the tank, now gonna go check it a couple few hours and see if it's leaking; see pics below;
20181213_175227.jpg 20181213_175258.jpg

Overnight and no leaks whatsoever. Float valve and seat are good.
Going back to the 172 main jet and taking it to the track in the morning. But, just reassembled with the 172 and took it around the asphalt hood, and it doesn't feel like it likes it.
This thing has me thinking I should just buy a PWK.

But before I give up, a question;
Carb is exactly stock settings right now.
What do I start tweaking first, the jet needle, or the jet size?

Last edited:
Overnight and no leaks whatsoever. Float valve and seat are good.
Going back to the 172 main jet and taking it to the track in the morning. But, just reassembled with the 172 and took it around the asphalt hood, and it doesn't feel like it likes it.
This thing has me thinking I should just buy a PWK.

But before I give up, a question;
Carb is exactly stock settings right now.
What do I start tweaking first, the jet needle, or the jet size?

I would drop that main down to a 170 and see how it feels first.

And just to be sure you didn’t put excessive pressure on the float to seal the drip.
Id love to give advice here, but I’ve got my own carb problem I can’t figure out. fKn carbs.. after I get mine sorted I can feel good about myself and pretend to know what I’m doing again

IT'S ALIVE!!!! Finally!
Early on she seemed a bit sputtery up top so I dropped the MJ to a 170 and it seemed to help. Probably gonna drop it to the 168 next and see what happens. The plug is now dark, but not sooty, after a few hot laps and a plug chop. Running Yamalube today though.
Gonna take the 52 rear sprocket off tonight and put on a 49, along with a new Dunlop Geomax 33, and a chain.
Fuck this thing is fast. I could barely keep the rear tire behind me. A buddy stopped by and said that maybe that was because my sag was wrong. Hopefully the smaller sprocket and new tire will help.

Do you guys bottom your forks when you case a landing, or am I too heavy (185 lbs)???

My dust line gets pretty low. Thing is, you want it to be progressive not blow through quickly on small stuff. I usually don’t bottom unless I flatland something

My clickers are almost all the way up. And I guess flat-land is what I'm doing, the landings anyway. If I was man enough to just fucking hit those jumps I probably wouldn't be asking about bottoming!