Other The 1993 KLX650R Basket-Case Part 2

The latest-
Could use some help here.

Got the choke/enrichment cable and fitting, and installed them. While I was at it I moved the jet needle clip from 2nd from top, to the top position, which is stock. I figured I would lean it out because it has a lot of smoke from the tailpipe.
Note - It has a Pro Circuit muff, and a 158 main jet. Stock main jet in US is a 135, but elsewhere is a 155, so one step up from that. It makes sense to me that someone put in a larger jet with the new muff.

Got it running tonight- it seems to start better without using the choke. When I try to use the choke I smell gas.
So I assume it rich, yes?

Took it for a spin-
Last week before the parts and jet needle clip changes it had gobs of power, tonight when under throttle it dies out, no power.
Thoughts?

The latest-
Could use some help here.

Got the choke/enrichment cable and fitting, and installed them. While I was at it I moved the jet needle clip from 2nd from top, to the top position, which is stock. I figured I would lean it out because it has a lot of smoke from the tailpipe.
Note - It has a Pro Circuit muff, and a 158 main jet. Stock main jet in US is a 135, but elsewhere is a 155, so one step up from that. It makes sense to me that someone put in a larger jet with the new muff.

Got it running tonight- it seems to start better without using the choke. When I try to use the choke I smell gas.
So I assume it rich, yes?

Took it for a spin-
Last week before the parts and jet needle clip changes it had gobs of power, tonight when under throttle it dies out, no power.
Thoughts?

Now it's lean.
Just because it smokes doesn't mean it's rich. There could be unburnt gas or oil in the exhaust chamber.
I would go back to the middle clip.

Oh yeah, the ongoing saga;
Okay, so a couple months ago I was monkeying with the carb and thought that while rebuilding it I had mistakenly put the steel spacer under the jet clip, instead on top of it where I saw it on a fiche.
So I tried to get what I thought was this spacer out from an area on top the slide, which I thought it was stuck in. A thru-hole type of area.
Well one great idea led to another and the drill came out. Long story short, it wasn't a spacer, it was the top of the slide where the jet clip sits, and it is now junk.
So I got onto the KLX650 Yahoo group and a guy from Scotland or Ireland (I forget which) sent me a slide that was off his KLX650C, which is different than mine, more of a streetbike.
The only thing different though was the size of the hole in the bottom of the slide, it was smaller.
So I was out in the garage a few weeks ago modifying the hole, doing the .22 cent trick, and making the hole gradually bigger when I took it for a test ride and layed it over a block from my house on the pavement.
I broke the clutch perch and bent the shifter.
I just replaced the clutch perch tonight. Hopefully this weekend I will get the new rear tire on, bend the shifter back, and actually take it for a real test ride. I think I still need to make that hole bigger because it doesn't get up and go like it used to.

Oh yeah, the ongoing saga;
Okay, so a couple months ago I was monkeying with the carb and thought that while rebuilding it I had mistakenly put the steel spacer under the jet clip, instead on top of it where I saw it on a fiche.
So I tried to get what I thought was this spacer out from an area on top the slide, which I thought it was stuck in. A thru-hole type of area.
Well one great idea led to another and the drill came out. Long story short, it wasn't a spacer, it was the top of the slide where the jet clip sits, and it is now junk.
So I got onto the KLX650 Yahoo group and a guy from Scotland or Ireland (I forget which) sent me a slide that was off his KLX650C, which is different than mine, more of a streetbike.
The only thing different though was the size of the hole in the bottom of the slide, it was smaller.
So I was out in the garage a few weeks ago modifying the hole, doing the .22 cent trick, and making the hole gradually bigger when I took it for a test ride and layed it over a block from my house on the pavement.
I broke the clutch perch and bent the shifter.
I just replaced the clutch perch tonight. Hopefully this weekend I will get the new rear tire on, bend the shifter back, and actually take it for a real test ride. I think I still need to make that hole bigger because it doesn't get up and go like it used to.

That sucks! Hopefully you can get it back on track though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is on track, and runs well. Just need to mess with the carb some more, and ride it.
Hopefully this weekend. I picked up a couple bead buddies and will put the rear tire on.
Once that is done, we're going riding.
Thanks!

It is on track, and runs well. Just need to mess with the carb some more, and ride it.
Hopefully this weekend. I picked up a couple bead buddies and will put the rear tire on.
Once that is done, we're going riding.
Thanks!

GoPro!?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk