Other The 1993 KLX650R Basket-Case Part 2

SRAD97750

Staff member
You'll find, the more bikes you have in the garage, the happier you are.
None of them have to be pretty, but the ones that run should make your heart skip a beat. Riding home from work today was surreal...
image.jpeg
This is just what I keep indoors... That's 9 of the running examples... -BIG DAN:thumb:

You'll find, the more bikes you have in the garage, the happier you are.
None of them have to be pretty, but the ones that run should make your heart skip a beat. Riding home from work today was surreal...
View attachment 29570
This is just what I keep indoors... That's 9 of the running examples... -BIG DAN:thumb:

Its funny you mention that, I was just thinking I need a bigger garage, either that or park the truck in the drive. Seems like you've already made that decision.

Wait...you have 9 running vehicles there? Where? I see 4.

Last edited:
Sounds like You got a winner in that xr. Happy riding!

Bike Hoarders Anonymous
chapter president Andy presiding
although you'll never see a pic of his "barn" here's one of my bike barn before I added the crf. Then it got a little silly..
4AFB0B40-7911-4586-91BF-F975B384AF00.jpg

SRAD97750

Staff member
Wait...you have 9 running vehicles there? Where? I see 4.
-Green Tank under the cans is all you can see of Sneeze and his little 110 chinese brother. Both the baddest mad-max pitbikes you'll ever ride.
-Red 2007 Honda CRF450R facing us. Fresh Top End.
-2005 Kazuma Falcon 'Yard Quad'
In the back row starting at the fridge facing away from us
-2005 WA plated Lifan GY200
-1981 Yamaha IT175 fresh top end
-1986 Kawasaki KDX200 Fresh Motor
-1993 Yamaha WR500
-1999 Honda CBR1100XX SuperBlackbird
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Much like M33's greatest achievement calls him Dad, so does mine.
When we brought home the XR today I re-became the coolest Dad in the world.
I always try (and mostly succeed), in achieving this feat somewhat regularly, but today was different.
When we rolled it off my truck at the house I took him for a ride... and man, that was it.
He had already fallen in love with it's looks before we bought it and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. When I told him it would soon be his next bike...man I tell you, I dont know of anything that makes ME feel better, than being that guy, that Dad, and impressing him.
Then when I told him we we're gonna go on our first trail ride tomorrow morning...
Wow.
He was singing in the shower, packing things in his backpack, making preparations, on cloud 10. He went to bed early, just so he could get up early, and said this was better than Santa Clause.
We are gonna have an amazing day tomorrow, and it all started tonight.
And you guys are all a part of it, and I thank you for your input and camaraderie. This website not only rocks solid, but has rejuvenated a part of me that I haven't seen since I was a teenager, and I feel like a kid again.
I'll be sure to take some pics and post them here.

Last edited:
Since we're posting pics, here is where I'm at;
The XR
View attachment 29571

All 3 of them;
View attachment 29572

I cant remember if I mentioned it or not, but a ds80 was the first one my son rode as his own. FYI i have a complete suspension setup for the long travel xr200 that came before yours (they decided more people would buy them if they were lower). Pay postage and you can have the fork and rear shock. you can swap lots of things on those, and mine has some 41mm cartridge forks from one of my xr250's going onto it. its an easy swap and you get disk brakes if you rob the front and back off of an xr250. gains weight though.

-Green Tank under the cans is all you can see of Sneeze and his little 110 chinese brother. Both the baddest mad-max pitbikes you'll ever ride.
-Red 2007 Honda CRF450R facing us. Fresh Top End.
-2005 Kazuma Falcon 'Yard Quad'
In the back row starting at the fridge facing away from us
-2005 WA plated Lifan GY200
-1981 Yamaha IT175 fresh top end
-1986 Kawasaki KDX200 Fresh Motor
-1993 Yamaha WR500
-1999 Honda CBR1100XX SuperBlackbird
-BIG DAN:thumb:

all that without mentioning that i think he still has one of mine there.

@ossagp , I dont know what the long travel XR is, but thank you for the offer. Right now I dont know that it's necessary. If it lowers the seat height, I think I like the height right now. But what is it?

As for the ride...when we got to the trail it was closed, No Motor Vehicles Beyond This Point. It seems this is not unusual. The state will take my $$$ for the OHV sticker then limit where I can ride (BFE); no surprise there in today's effed up state of the nation.
We ended up just finding a remote chunk of desert off the beaten path and rode for about 2-1/2 hours.

As far as the bambino, lets say he had a good day, and learned a lot.
He got frustrated a lot because he couldn't figure out how to get moving, and kept killing the engine. Turns out he would kick the shifter down one time and assume he was in first when he was in 2nd or 3rd. He didn't connect the visual of me kicking my down 10 times to something that he should do as well, my bad. But he's learning, and he'll get it tomorrow.

As far as the XR - it performed flawlessly, better than expected, and after 25 years of not riding a dirtbike, it was plenty for me, and will be perfect for him in another year. His 80 ran sweet as well and the tow strap I brought along was unnecessary.
We we're both a bit whooped when got home so we showered then took a nap. And my neck is now stiff.

The KLX engine will get removed this coming week and measurements taken.

It raises the seat height a great deal. longer travel forks and shock. i am guessing if you mounted them or took some off and xr250 etc when your son takes the xr200 you would be putting the shorties back on. it takes about an hour if you have a few tools and a bike stand.'
'

When teaching clutch 101 I usually encourage someone to down shift all the way to low when they come to a stop. Like you said, they end up trying to start in 2-3 lots and fall over. if you have lower gearing available it makes learning a lot faster for the really young riders. contrary to the belief that i hear espoused from people who must still be learning the basics themselves to "gear it up, so they dont rip their arms out of the sockets". when in fact what you are talking about happens a lot.

Last edited:
Ok, that helps. I wouldn't mind the seat being raised. I have a stand and more tools than necessary. That is a very generous offer, thank you.
How much would the shipping weight be do you think?

well the cheapest way would be us postal and if nothing else take the springs and dampers if yours is in need of fork seals, i can weigh it all and see.

SRAD97750

Staff member
@SRAD97750 , I got caught up in the Friday purchase and forgot to ask...what was surreal on your ride home?
Southern California weather combined with a 175HP rocket between my legs after an extremely tough day at work...
It's as good as it gets... Motorcycles just speak to me in a language nothing else can. -BIG DAN:thumb: