All Tarantula Hawks And Tarantulas

If you ride and camp in the southwest deserts, chances are you have seen these two types of critters.
Tarantula Hawks are solitary wasps that hunt tarantulas for breeding purposes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk
800px-Pepsis_formosa02.jpg

If you are sitting around camp, you have probably seen these wasps skirting the ground, checking small burrows for their prey.
So, you are thinking "well, that's nice to know, but why are you telling me this?"
Because I am bored, stuck at home with this cold that's going around.
Actually the reason I am posting is after a little research, I have found out that the Tarantula Hawk's sting is classified in the top 5 most painful stings of any insect, in the world. Not just California, or the United States, the world. If you didn't know that, now you do.
Luckily, they aren't aggressive to humans, just the same, if you try to swat one, better make sure it's a clean kill.
So, in short, be kind to tarantulas, they don't mean us harm -
IMAG0013-1.jpg

And best to leave the wasps alone.
That is all.

I'm cool with the wasps, but those big, hairy spiders give me the creeps.:eek:
I hate spiders but I feel the exact opposite. Tarantulas are pretty chill and generally don't bite. A few months ago there was picture on the front page of my local news paper of a tarantula hawk dragging a tarantula across a ladies front porch. I guess the hawks sting paralyzes the tarantula.

If you ride and camp in the southwest deserts, chances are you have seen these two types of critters.
Tarantula Hawks are solitary wasps that hunt tarantulas for breeding purposes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk
800px-Pepsis_formosa02.jpg

If you are sitting around camp, you have probably seen these wasps skirting the ground, checking small burrows for their prey.
So, you are thinking "well, that's nice to know, but why are you telling me this?"
Because I am bored, stuck at home with this cold that's going around.
Actually the reason I am posting is after a little research, I have found out that the Tarantula Hawk's sting is classified in the top 5 most painful stings of any insect, in the world. Not just California, or the United States, the world. If you didn't know that, now you do.
Luckily, they aren't aggressive to humans, just the same, if you try to swat one, better make sure it's a clean kill.
So, in short, be kind to tarantulas, they don't mean us harm -
IMAG0013-1.jpg

And best to leave the wasps alone.
That is all.
What is it with the crazy posts (informative though). :thinking:Have another hit and feel better soon.:lol::lol: Dinner next week?

At my cabin, I enjoy my morning duke with the newspaper in the shit house. This summer, wasps built a nest in the roof. I'm 6'5" so my eyes would be 5" from the nest when I walked in. They never attacked me. Late summer, as I did the crossword puzzle, I saw the young wasps emerging from the nest! I wadded up a big mop of shit paper, plucked the nest down, and pooped on it. :thumb:

At my cabin, I enjoy my morning duke with the newspaper in the shit house. This summer, wasps built a nest in the roof. I'm 6'5" so my eyes would be 5" from the nest when I walked in. They never attacked me. Late summer, as I did the crossword puzzle, I saw the young wasps emerging from the nest! I wadded up a big mop of shit paper, plucked the nest down, and pooped on it. :thumb:

Just :lol: at this ^^^^

What the heck A2? You let that big frick'n hairy thing walk around your arm? :jawdrop:

A real mountain man would have whipped his ass with it:smirk:

What a topic.

Hey A2, I hope that virus doesn't hit you like it did me. I was f-ed up for 7 days and I'm still dealing the the last hanging on cough.