All Tarantula Hawks And Tarantulas

Tarantula wasps are a lot like tarantulas and good wild bears; they look scary, but don't want anything to do with people. Tarantula wasps are downright friendly compared to common yellowjackets.

Tarantula wasps are a lot like tarantulas and good wild bears; they look scary, but don't want anything to do with people. Tarantula wasps are downright friendly compared to common yellowjackets.

This is very true. It takes an unusual circumstance fro one of those to sting you. Something like hitting one while riding and having it get under your jersey.

Now if you want to be afraid of something we have Mojave Green rattlesnakes. Get bit and it's basically 100% fatal without the antivenom. They are also shy creatures that don't attack, but step on one and you might have a problem.

It's not like the environment is benign in Michigan. You have a disaster every year. It starts in November and lasts till march. You know winter. How many are injured or killed due to slippery roads?

Actually, no. The wasp lays its eggs on the tarantula and the larva eat the tarantula after they hatch.

This thread reminded me that I forgot to put this little bug back out in the weeds somewhere:
59ea501e.jpg

5a81aafd.jpg

I found it in the throes of death a few weeks ago on a bike ride. The whole body is iridescent black; my camera doesn't do it justice.

I also found this little one in the house earlier today:
7038ec7b.jpg

I love macro photography. :)
What kind of spider is that? Creepy looking.

There is probably some proper and/or Latin name for it, but I don't know what it is. I just call them jumping spiders. That one was about ¼" long.