Sometimes Its All About The Rider.

James

Staff member
And most everyone who has a 450 say's their 450 has more power and torque than a CR or KX500. So whats wrong with the 500cc two stroke if they say the 450 has more everything.
If (according to you) the 450F has more power and torque than a 500, why would they want to get a (according to you) less powerful 500?
This is about the Rider and I would have to say that if a rider was to actually give the two stroke a equal chance to get used to it. That rider would be faster on the two stroke. Not just the 500 but a two stroke in general. That kid on that big 112cc if he was not used to the power of that bike he most likely would not have been able to pull away from those 450's. He rode and rode that bike on a every other day ruttine getting used to it. Now if that kid was on a 250sx and practiced with it the same way. He may not have needed to fight so much breaking away from them.
So take the 500 out of the equation and just say any (big bike) 2 stroke? Now we're getting into rider preference, some riders just prefer how the 4 strokes handle over 2 strokes. And some prefer the 2 stroke over the 4 stroke. :noidea: Perfect example of this is the 250 classes, you can race a 250 (2 stroke) and a 250f in this class. The 250 has more horsepower so you'd think that most would ride it, however that's not the case. You want to know why? Some people prefer one bike over the other even if it less powerful. :thumb: Motocross is very mental and if you aren't comfortable on your bike you're going to be slow.

The biggest reason for that is Sponsorship. These sponcers will be more willing to do their part if the kid was on a four stroke. To promote sales of even more expensive parts and Labor. If I can find it I will try and post the proof of this. There has been lots of pro's who proved to be faster on thw two strokes. But, do to sponcership they were ordered to race the four stroke. Or be fined for not doing it.
What is the real reason Honda keeps going back to the Dual pipes money. It does not cost honda any more than a few bucks to add the other pipe. But, it cost the consumer double the cost of just a silencer. Honda knows that there is no performance gain in adding the pipe. But they do it anyway. Money goes to money and the cost of the parts is where the money is.

James

Staff member
The biggest reason for that is Sponsorship. These sponcers will be more willing to do their part if the kid was on a four stroke. To promote sales of even more expensive parts and Labor. If I can find it I will try and post the proof of this. There has been lots of pro's who proved to be faster on thw two strokes. But, do to sponcership they were ordered to race the four stroke. Or be fined for not doing it.
What is the real reason Honda keeps going back to the Dual pipes money. It does not cost honda any more than a few bucks to add the other pipe. But, it cost the consumer double the cost of just a silencer. Honda knows that there is no performance gain in adding the pipe. But they do it anyway. Money goes to money and the cost of the parts is where the money is.
In case you weren't aware, this wasn't a 2 vs 4 stroke debate but a 500 vs 'every other bike' debate....

The 2 vs 4 stroke debate is a whole different can of worms.

EDIT: I'm not partaking in this outrageous, overly stupid debate, no body can say anything to this guy.

I wonder how much the 85 was bored and stroked to. I would say at least 112cc. I like seeing video's like that. That kid probally could not do that with a CRF150. It's not fast enough. Two stroke all the way.
four strokes do not belong on a MX track.

More like 112cc at the most unless your 85 cylinder was made by Jesus himself