Sometimes Its All About The Bike.

When it comes to a steel chassi CR or KX500 its more like 25-30 lbs more. Still less than the450's. The CR 233 lbs and KX500 is 234 lbs. Look into it. My bike weighs 219 lbs with no gas. I weighed it on a scale.
on what scale? Unless your weighing it on a shipping scale or a certified DOT scale chances are its off, sometimes in the neighborhood of 20-40 pounds

Or you can call Service PowerSports yourself and ask them or chech out their web-site. Or maybe you know someone who has one. Then ask them to weigh theirs. Actually you can find out by just getting the weight of the engines. The four stroke engine is heavier than my CR500 engine.

James

Staff member
Pretty good article on Service Honda's website regarding 500's and 450F's.

http://www.servicehonda.com/compone...-homepage-articles/28-2-stroke-verse-4-stroke

A few things from that article.

Four strokes are here to stay and there is no arguing the fact that they are far easier to to ride. The power delivery is much more manageable which lets the rider go longer with less fatigue.
This is why 4 strokes are here to stay.

Taking this into consideration, all of the lap times were surprisingly close. Second, more power does not mean faster. To be able to capitalize on peak power output a rider must be capable of dealing with that level of power. Third the Service Honda 500af is an amazing bike with a frightening amount of power that if respected is a peach to ride. Just don’t ride it at the end of the day when you are exhausted. You want to be at the top of your game when you climb aboard.
Like they say, more power doesn't necessarily make you faster and the rest of that quote pretty much backs up why 500's aren't practical for the average racer.

Like I've said before, I have nothing against 500's and if you ride one, more power to you. :hail: However they will never be mainstream, heck they were never even mainstream back before 4 strokes took over. Just to much darn bike.

:blah::blah::blah::blah:. There isn't an article about either of the 500cc two strokes that I have not read. Have you ever rode a 500cc? Steel or AF? If you haven't you will never know that it is better than you ever thought it could be. Just like with any bike You need to get used to it. Then once you do you will love which ever bike you ride. You need to realize that most of the ones who are featured in the articles on the CR and KX500's have not rode the bike ever before. Or if they did it was back in the early 90's. That articles even says the average joe would be faster on the four stroke. Once they get used to the 500cc or even the KTM250sx You will only get faster on it, not slower. The lap times were off by only a few seconds. On a Bike they never ever started before. Hell, Most likely never even seen before. All the video's I posted on 500cc of glory show's everyone that the 500cc bike is still capable of winning even against Pro's. The next time I let someone ride my bike I will tape them. I have done this before and posted the video on here. Must be you did not see it. I can not stress this enough. If you gave even the KTM250sx a chance to get used to it. I would say you might not win the race But, you would most likely be faster on it. Once you got used to it.

James

Staff member
Have you ever rode a 500cc? Steel or AF? If you haven't you will never know that it is better than you ever thought it could be. Just like with any bike You need to get used to it. Then once you do you will love which ever bike you ride.
Since you seem to know so much about what we like, could you please tell me what flavor ice cream I like? Same with what toppings I like on my pizza? Thank you! :thumb:

I do like the bike I currently own and it has way more power than I ever need. Don't feel like there's a need to add another 20hp. :thumb:

If you gave even the KTM250sx a chance to get used to it. I would say you might not win the race But, you would most likely be faster on it. Once you got used to it.
:panic: Oh no you're suggesting somebody ride a bike that isn't a 500? Has hell frozen over or something?

P.S. those KTM 250SX's straight rip! Same with the KTM 125SX. :ride:

Yes they do. Its all about the two stroke oops I mean bike. I would love to ride a KTM 150sx.. I will admit because of my slownest. I would most likely be faster on a KTM150sx. But, and I mean but, I would not stop racing my CR500af... I am fair to admit that. I am not a pro nor did I ever say I was.

James

Staff member
Yes they do. Its all about the two stroke oops I mean bike. I would love to ride a KTM 150sx.. I will admit because of my slownest. I would most likely be faster on a KTM150sx. But, and I mean but, I would not stop racing my CR500af... I am fair to admit that. I am not a pro nor did I ever say I was.
Hey I love 2 strokes, this was never about 2 strokes in general, this was about the 500.

First off nobody is saying you shouldn't be riding a 500, however can you tell me why you think you'd be faster on a KTM 150SX?

:blah::blah::blah::blah:. There isn't an article about either of the 500cc two strokes that I have not read. Have you ever rode a 500cc? Steel or AF? If you haven't you will never know that it is better than you ever thought it could be. Just like with any bike You need to get used to it. Then once you do you will love which ever bike you ride. You need to realize that most of the ones who are featured in the articles on the CR and KX500's have not rode the bike ever before. Or if they did it was back in the early 90's. That articles even says the average joe would be faster on the four stroke. Once they get used to the 500cc or even the KTM250sx You will only get faster on it, not slower. The lap times were off by only a few seconds. On a Bike they never ever started before. Hell, Most likely never even seen before. All the video's I posted on 500cc of glory show's everyone that the 500cc bike is still capable of winning even against Pro's. The next time I let someone ride my bike I will tape them. I have done this before and posted the video on here. Must be you did not see it. I can not stress this enough. If you gave even the KTM250sx a chance to get used to it. I would say you might not win the race But, you would most likely be faster on it. Once you got used to it.
maybe 250f's and 450's are way better than you can imagine.
Even Service Honda is going against what you're saying with the CR500 being infinetly superior to a 450