So what do you guys use to change tires?

I'm looking at getting a stand and tire spoons so I can quit paying the 95 dollars the dealership wants for a tire and start paying the 55-65 dollars RMA charges.
So I'm asking if you guys would be nice enough to recommend me a stand and a good set of tire spoons, links for purchase would be nice :ride:
Thanks

SRAD97750

Staff member
I have old rims that I don't need to worry about scratching. So this may not be the case for you!!!
I use 3 irons for $5. They are generic and thin. They get the job done. Pretty light and under 11 inches, they go in the back pack nicely.
MP_TIRE_IRONS.jpg

Takes some serious practice to get some of the stiffer tires on, but I haven't failed yet. It may have taken 2 days, but I got it on with just my irons. -BIG DAN:thumb:

With a bit of practice it becomes a rather simple job. Not easy since it's just about always a bit of a wrestling match, but simple. A while ago I got one of the larger Rocky Mountain tire irons and I even changed a few tires on my truck.

1 trash can about 17" inches at the rim.
2 or 3 tire irons 14" inches long
1 bead buddy (not a necessity)
WD-40
Leverage
Off......
Front wheel lay disc down in trash can. Rear wheel lay sprocket down in trash can.
Remove inner valve stem, lossen rim lock nut to last thread, and push in to unseat, push on tire around bead and spray a little 4D. At two inches to one side of the rim lock push the bead buddy in and lock against a spoke, now start working just about opposite of the bead buddy and rim lock with the first tire iron, work towards the rim lock, spooning one iron at a time, on side of tire bead at a time, remove bead buddy.
Take nut off of the tube valve and push through rim with both hands a pull it up and out removing the whole tube.
Starting again opposite of rim lock (with no bead buddy) start the spooning again until tire is off.
Now, once I am this far I remove any grim and such off the rim/bead with a wire brush.
On......
Spray a little WD on the rim, install first tire side bead behind rim lock and push tire on until you can't get any more with muscle. Now place one tire iron in the bead and flip it to the outside, (I usually stick it between my legs and crotch "yes crotch" to hold it into place) then use the other iron to work the bead on. Install tube valve stem into hole and screw nut into place, tuck the rest of the tube into tire. Opposite of the rim lock push the tire onto the rim and shove the bead buddy into place working towards the rim lock on both sides, push the rim lock into the tire and set the last bead of tire.
Istall valve into the valve stem and fill with air (max to seat bead). remove stem again and let most of the air out, inflate to personal preference and tighten both the rim lock nut and valve stem nut.
People may have other ways, but this takes me about 15 minutes start to finish front or rear.

James

Staff member
The tire changing stand isn't necessary, just use a 5 gallon bucket or trash can.

Here are the two tools I use:

And I'll be getting one of these on my next order:

Edit: FYI I'd get at least 3 spoons, you never seem to have enough.

For real, I have never had a flat tire, EVER, and just wear them out and buy new ones, and they change them for free! I even bought new tires and brought them to my shop, and they do it for nothing! I have never changed a tire in my life! :wave:

I'm looking at getting a stand and tire spoons so I can quit paying the 95 dollars the dealership wants for a tire and start paying the 55-65 dollars RMA charges.
So I'm asking if you guys would be nice enough to recommend me a stand and a good set of tire spoons, links for purchase would be nice :ride:
Thanks
I use two generic tire irons, dish soap for lube and lay the rim on the ground. Or, sometimes, I'll give myself a treat and buy a new tire at the local shop with free mounting. :busted:

Our local tire shop does it dirt cheap, and you can drop them off, go get lunch, come back and they're done right. That's what I do.
What do you do if some freak incident happens during practice and you need to get it fixed in time to make your race? :noidea:

For real, I have never had a flat tire, EVER, and just wear them out and buy new ones, and they change them for free! I even bought new tires and brought them to my shop, and they do it for nothing! I have never changed a tire in my life! :wave:
You have to be the luckiest SOB there is. :hail:

James

Staff member
What do you do if some freak incident happens during practice and you need to get it fixed in time to make your race? :noidea:
Hope that you're parked beside some cool people. :lol:

A lot of the tracks around here have a "parts" tent for race days. :thumb:

1 trash can about 17" inches at the rim.
2 or 3 tire irons 14" inches long
1 bead buddy (not a necessity)
WD-40
Leverage
Off......
Front wheel lay disc down in trash can. Rear wheel lay sprocket down in trash can.
Remove inner valve stem, lossen rim lock nut to last thread, and push in to unseat, push on tire around bead and spray a little 4D. At two inches to one side of the rim lock push the bead buddy in and lock against a spoke, now start working just about opposite of the bead buddy and rim lock with the first tire iron, work towards the rim lock, spooning one iron at a time, on side of tire bead at a time, remove bead buddy.
Take nut off of the tube valve and push through rim with both hands a pull it up and out removing the whole tube.
Starting again opposite of rim lock (with no bead buddy) start the spooning again until tire is off.
Now, once I am this far I remove any grim and such off the rim/bead with a wire brush.
On......
Spray a little WD on the rim, install first tire side bead behind rim lock and push tire on until you can't get any more with muscle. Now place one tire iron in the bead and flip it to the outside, (I usually stick it between my legs and crotch "yes crotch" to hold it into place) then use the other iron to work the bead on. Install tube valve stem into hole and screw nut into place, tuck the rest of the tube into tire. Opposite of the rim lock push the tire onto the rim and shove the bead buddy into place working towards the rim lock on both sides, push the rim lock into the tire and set the last bead of tire.
Istall valve into the valve stem and fill with air (max to seat bead). remove stem again and let most of the air out, inflate to personal preference and tighten both the rim lock nut and valve stem nut.
People may have other ways, but this takes me about 15 minutes start to finish front or rear.
I use WD-40 aswell, but a lot of my friends get on my case about using it. Just keep it away from the discs. I know a lot of guys who use window/glass clearner, and it works pretty well.