So what do you guys use to change tires?

James

Staff member
Don't forget to coat the tube in talcum/baby powder.

Also an air compressor is HIGHLY recommended as you usually have to inflate/deflate the tire a couple times to get it to seat.

I use WD-40 aswell, but a lot of my friends get on my case about using it. Just keep it away from the discs. I know a lot of guys who use window/glass clearner, and it works pretty well.
:thumb: I've used that and also just plain ole soapy water.
You need #3! It makes all the difference in the world.
Yeah that 3rd spoon saves a lot of time, the bead buddy does wonders as well.

Spray the disc off with some brake cleaner after if you think you did to much WD. I'll say it again though. Soap will react to water once dry, WD will not! So if you ride in wet weather or wet conditions (puddles, creeks, etc.) use the WD. :prof:

My $.02 Canadian - Three irons are a must for me. I just use Windex and baby powder. A second set of hands can come in real handy. It also helps a boatload to have your tire sitting in the sun for a while to get it warmed up before mounting, especially the rears.

Although a tire stand would be nice, I just use an old tire, keeps the disc/sprocket off the ground. I like to work on the ground, easy to use a foot to keep the bead in the deep part of the rim while spooning the tire on.

James

Staff member
I've never seen that tool before, what does it actually do, there's no description on that page.

Is it like a bead buddy? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...ion-Pro-Bead-Buddy-II-Aluminum-Tire-Tool.aspx

Edit: BTW welcome to DBA :cheers: We have a New Members section if you want to introduce yourself. :thumb:
https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/forum/all-about-dirt-bike-addicts/new-members/

:blah: warning.

Changing tires is kind of like riding a bicycle up a hill. At first, you're thinking, "Man, this hill sucks." But you ride the same hill twenty, or a hundred times, and something strange happens. You find yourself thinking, "I kind of like this hill, and I can kick its ass, too." It's a beautiful thing when you come over that crest with Rein in Blood or some s*** cranked on the headphones, and you're accelerating out the top where you used to pull over to puke.

so uhh you see what i mean. Changing out rubber is an enjoyable part of the ritual. You get to spend quality time with your sled. It's all positive 'cause there's nothing better than new tires, or just having pressure in your tire where there was none. My buddies complain about the swap but slapping on that paddle tire makes me grin like an imbecile. :ride:

MRP made the stand I use, welded up right here in the states. Looks like the same stand is Moose branded now, don't know if they've farmed 'em out to China for production, or not. Get the original MRP if you can. They make an awesome shop stool if you put a pad on em, and they make tire changes easy and stylish. Changing a Dunlop desert tire the other day for a King paddle took me five minutes without rushing it too bad. (pro mechanics can do it by hand in a matter of seconds)

derrr oh yeah. Motion Pro flat levers pack well and work great, and i've been using super-diluted Simple Green/ water or no fluid at all for a long time. Haven't spun a tire but that doesn't mean I won't. Maybe I'll switch to WD-40. Somebody said set your tires in the sun, and that's a plus one. poet and didn't know it

ok so was that record for most brand names dropped in a windbag post?

Here are my tire changing techniques:

First find your self a natural supporting stand to put your scooter on.

DSCN3710.jpg
Next, make sure you have a solid work bench to work on and a good riding companion nearby to hand you tools.
DSCN3709.jpg

Once tire is changed out and aired up, mount wheel while your riding buddy looks on making sure you are tightening the bolts in the right pattern.
DSCN3711.jpg

10 to 15 mins and your done. Also make sure you bring a professional photographer along to document the event so you can use as a tutorial later. :prof:

Yeah what the others have said. I have been spooning my tires since I was 12. Its not hard. Be careful not to pinch a tube.:thumb: I run alot of rocky stuff and have never had a flat on a bike yet.

Yeah what the others have said. I have been spooning my tires since I was 12. Its not hard. Be careful not to pinch a tube.:thumb: I run alot of rocky stuff and have never had a flat on a bike yet.

1) Leave it to me to catch this shit........:devil:...

2) The kiss of death.........shouldn'ta oughtta said that...:prof:

View attachment 1457
Next, make sure you have a solid work bench to work on and a good riding companion nearby to hand you tools.
View attachment 1456

Once tire is changed out and aired up, mount wheel while your riding buddy looks on making sure you are tightening the bolts in the right pattern.
View attachment 1455

10 to 15 mins and your done. Also make sure you bring a professional photographer along to document the event so you can use as a tutorial later. :prof:

Great SOP = Standard Operating Procedure".......good job both of you! :thumb:...

View attachment 1457
View attachment 1456

View attachment 1455

The shadows thrown in them photos appear to be more like 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. I call :BS: :smirk: :smirk:

View attachment 1457
View attachment 1456

View attachment 1455

Without beer, it never happened.