Shifting without the clutch?

do you use your clutch while in the air of jumps at all? to be able to control the bike more, and not stall it out if you have to hit the rear brake?

do you use your clutch while in the air of jumps at all? to be able to control the bike more, and not stall it out if you have to hit the rear brake?
I used to not do so, but now I do. I stalled my bike off a few 50 footers in the air and had to land-bump start it learning :lol:

James

Staff member
Always pull in the clutch if you have to hit the rear brake in the air.

Yeah want to learn how to do that in case my front wheel gets to high. I've seen some people at the track that are pretty good at it.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I will split the WR in a year or two and we'll see what 57 hp does to a yamaha dog without using the clutch... :smirk:
-BIG DAN:thumb:
Upon said inspection (~220hrs) I found ZERO wear on the dogs of my gears. Everything looked new in the transmission.
I never use the clutch except starting, stopping, and wheelies... Everything is just proper engine load and shift timing.
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.jpg

-BIG DAN:thumb:

Last edited:
I broke my 4th gear, from slamming gears without clutch.... (3 years since last gear problem) So i do believe given another year or more, you might of faced some problems?

SRAD97750

Staff member
I broke my 4th gear, from slamming gears without clutch....
I don't believe constant mesh transmissions can break teeth from slamming between gears. The dogs should break first. I think you had foreign materials in your transmission to break two teeth side by side.
And any SLAMMIN' should be expected to bring wear.
So i do believe given another year or more, you might of faced some problems?
Nope, I won't have any issues for the life of this bike. I shift nice and smooth. -BIG DAN:thumb:

I don't believe constant mesh transmissions can break teeth from slamming between gears. The dogs should break first. I think you had foreign materials in your transmission to break two teeth side by side.
And any SLAMMIN' should be expected to bring wear.

Nope, I won't have any issues for the life of this bike. I shift nice and smooth. -BIG DAN:thumb:

I see, good information :thumb:

20 years ago a transmission was using superior steel and built to last. On modern day motocross bikes it has become a wear item.
And once you replace on gear you need to do them all including the bushings and spacers... I know this because I did my rm twice in 1 month...:picard:

Shift with or without the clutch, its your preference. Me? I use the clutch all the time, I am in no hurry to be shifting gears as I do not race anymore, so using the clutch is not a big deal. Heck I have ridden a half dozen bikes with Rekluse clutches installed and I still use the clutch when shifting..:thumb: