Injured Serious knee injury

James

Staff member
Without X rays I can be anywhere to walking again in a few weeks to having ligament repair surgery.
I'm no Dr. but I'm pretty sure that they'd have to do a MRI, X-rays don't show tissue damage. However an ortho doc should be able to tell what's torn without the need for a MRI (or x-ray). Expect a lot of pain when they pull/twist your leg while examining you. :lol:

In chat you'd asked about a catheter during surgery. I'd never heard of them using those in minor surgeries, however it'd make sense in longer (6-10 hour) ones. Worse I've ever had was them making me wear disposable underwear, however that was because it was an extended surgery. That way in case you piss yourself during surgery you can just toss them after. Depending on the hospital/surgery center they might make you wear their underwear for sanitary reasons though.

I do remember once where the nurse (a guy) told me that I'd have to wear the surgery gown naked. I politely told him to :finger:, my underwear are staying on. Pretty sure he was gay. :bonk: :lol:

BTW you can expect your leg to be shaven. :foul:

Left-Knee_1.jpg

Right_Knee_1.jpg

Also with any injury, don't forget RICE.

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Don't underestimate the power of RICE, I credit it to some of the fast recoveries I've had. A bag of frozen peas actually work better than an ice pack. And if you can get one, a cold therapy machine works the best.

You guys have ugly knees. :smirk: I hope you get through this one with no problems. I have wasted my knee before by doing the old jam and twist trick and to this day I really am careful to not do something to it again because it does not take much to injure it. Also, my problem is that I am no spring chicken anymore and I can not afford to injure it as it takes longer for us old guys to heal up. Take it easy and heal properly. :thumb:

Also with any injury, don't forget RICE.

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Don't underestimate the power of RICE, I credit it to some of the fast recoveries I've had. A bag of frozen peas actually work better than an ice pack. And if you can get one, a cold therapy machine works the best.
Rice, the key to China's success.

Thanks James :thumb: Things are looking a little bit better, I may be clear of surgery but I dont know yet. I'm getting movement back into my knee again and swelling is decreasing a little while so I'm just taking it slow.

James

Staff member
I'm getting movement back into my knee again and swelling is decreasing a little while so I'm just taking it slow.
That doesn't mean that you're out of the woods. I'm willing to bet that the reason you can move it again is because the initial swelling is going down. A buddy hobbled around for a number of weeks (if not months), with a torn ACL, before he finally decided to get it fixed.

If you haven't already you really need to see an orthopedic doctor.

That doesn't mean that you're out of the woods. I'm willing to bet that the reason you can move it again is because the initial swelling is going down. A buddy hobbled around for a number of weeks (if not months), with a torn ACL, before he finally decided to get it fixed.

I agree. Swelling is the body's natural way of protecting a damged joint. See a doctor and get an MRI before more damage occurs.

I agree. Swelling is the body's natural way of protecting a damged joint. See a doctor and get an MRI before more damage occurs.
I know this already, but if I can go a couple weeks and be back to normal then its not worth it :thumb:

James

Staff member
I know this already, but if I can go a couple weeks and be back to normal then its not worth it :thumb:
Not worth what, going to the doctor? If your knee swelled up that much you need to see a doctor sooner rather than later.

BTW isn't one of your parents a doctor?

If you knew, you would have X-rays already.... Isnt your mom a doctor or nurse or something... Dont make me call her...
Not worth what, going to the doctor? If your knee swelled up that much you need to see a doctor sooner rather than later.

BTW isn't one of your parents a doctor?
Both parents actually, and my dad taught A&P at a college level. Its just not an emergency thing, and the surgeon can't touch it till the swelling goes away anyhow. If I can lose the swelling and walk on it again (large possibility) then it will be better than shelling out. Also, surgeons are like mechanics, they are paid to 'fix' problems. So they will find a 'problem'. Its been much better with a large pain decrease. If it doesn't recover in the next week or so I will talk to an orthopedic surgeon. But as of now, I can't do anything anyhow.

Both parents actually, and my dad taught A&P at a college level. Its just not an emergency thing, and the surgeon can't touch it till the swelling goes away anyhow. If I can lose the swelling and walk on it again (large possibility) then it will be better than shelling out. Also, surgeons are like mechanics, they are paid to 'fix' problems. So they will find a 'problem'. Its been much better with a large pain decrease. If it doesn't recover in the next week or so I will talk to an orthopedic surgeon. But as of now, I can't do anything anyhow.

Fortunately surgeons can't hold you down on a bench and start chopping you open without your consent. I twisted my knee on the trampoline (I know hardcore) it didn't swell up nearly as bad as yours and I felt it for about 3 years after. With that being said imagine how that thing is going to feel without proper treatment and only god knows for how long. I'm just another person to agree with the go to the doctor thing, dew it.