Road legalising a MX bike

Ok thanks guys, its just im not going to be racing or on tracks, i have fields id like to bomb it round ! Now i know i have been told since i have my own land i should get a trail bike, but i find mx bikes more fun because their just faster and more powerful ! It's just il need a bike i can drive to University or college eventually.. Unless there is a trailbike as fast as a kx 250f, KTM exc-f 350 mabe ??:thinking:

ktm 450EXC RFS. wayyy faster than a kx250F.

You're right all dirt bikes have stators...but I don't think a standard stator on a dirt bike will have give off enough current to run a headlight, tail light and turn signals. I think you have to change the electronics to a beefer stator. I am thinking for his application he could also use kx450x lights more easily than that of a KLX.

I also don't think in every state you need turn signals either. I think in KY hand signals might be all you have to comply with but you will have to change dirt tires to DOT rated tires.

I am like you dude. I would rather convert a dirt bike over more, since the suspension is so much better for off road than that of a KLX.

i think trail tech makes lighting stators for mx bikes. not sure

Not sure what your laws are being in England and all. But here in the States you need turning signals, brake light, head light, one mirror, and a plate. I probably forgot something so don't quote me. :P

you also need a horn lol

But here in the US it can be nearly impossible in some states to make a MX bike road legal, but it can be done.

You're right all dirt bikes have stators...but I don't think a standard stator on a dirt bike will have give off enough current to run a headlight, tail light and turn signals. I think you have to change the electronics to a beefer stator. I am thinking for his application he could also use kx450x lights more easily than that of a KLX.

I also don't think in every state you need turn signals either. I think in KY hand signals might be all you have to comply with but you will have to change dirt tires to DOT rated tires.

I am like you dude. I would rather convert a dirt bike over more, since the suspension is so much better for off road than that of a KLX.

True. You maayy be able to get away with that if you don't get signals(not necessary in many states) and you get a LED brake light and get/make a LED headlight.

Then again it would probably be cheaper to buy a lighting stator or rewind the stocker. Or you could waste a buncha money and do both and have a bike with some AMAZING lighting:smirk:

i think trail tech makes lighting stators for mx bikes. not sure

yup. They also rewind stockers.

you also need a horn lol

But here in the US it can be nearly impossible in some states to make a MX bike road legal, but it can be done.

Depends on the state allot.

I'm gonna go on the government's website and check the laws, then the tax website. But taking KLX parts sounds good, just the battery issue.. So I would need a particularily powerful one to power the lights or could I buy a KLX one? Also, housing it on the bike might be tricky.. Any thoughts ? Thanks for the help so far though people :thumb: !

I'm gonna go on the government's website and check the laws, then the tax website. But taking KLX parts sounds good, just the battery issue.. So I would need a particularily powerful one to power the lights or could I buy a KLX one? Also, housing it on the bike might be tricky.. Any thoughts ? Thanks for the help so far though people :thumb: !

duct tape.

Haha love it ! :lol: funnily enough I thought of that today.. Lots and lots of duct tape .. :wink:
Where would you actually house the battery on it though ?

You don't need a battery. In fact if you know what to look for you don't even need a DC system.

i guess it just deppends, i saw a crf250 or 450 (couldnt tell which) on the road today in ohio..... of course it could have been an crf-x to.

Did it have a cylindrical more 'blocky' exhaust with the tip ? Quiet pur instead of race exhaust roar haha ? If so thats the crf-x. But you probably dindn't have time to notice ? Their nice bikes those :) super reliable, good lookin too. :ride:

Tell me more ! :shocked:

Just a word of advice-

I think you may want to research allot more if you're serious about DS'ing a bike, if that comes as a surprise to you.

You just have to look for components that take ac or dc(or ac only) and as long as you have the wattage you can run them BUT i still stand by DSing a mxer as a bad/foolish idea. JMO

Just a word of advice-

I think you may want to research allot more if you're serious about DS'ing a bike, if that comes as a surprise to you.

You just have to look for components that take ac or dc(or ac only) and as long as you have the wattage you can run them BUT i still stand by DSing a mxer as a bad/foolish idea. JMO

Why do you consider it a bad move then ?

Why do you consider it a bad move then ?

The suspension is harsh for DS, the motor won't like being held open for real long stretches, the tranny is way too narrow, the gearing would need to be changed significantly making it a crappy woods bike...

Your best(and most likely cheapest) bet would be a klx250 and mod it(pipe, jetting,etc. etc. to give it the power you want) or something like a DRZ 400S which will in stock form be more powerful than a streetified(but otherwise stock) kx250f because it's got more displacement, torque and the right tranny gear ratio...