Road legalising a MX bike

James

Staff member
Hi guys.. Can enyone tell me if it's possible to road legalise a MX bike ?
Not sure what your laws are being in England and all. But here in the States you need turning signals, brake light, head light, one mirror, and a plate. I probably forgot something so don't quote me. :P

it depends... here in California there is bikes that they will not give you a plate regardless of what mirrors and signals and horns you put on.

Ok.. I'm thinking about a KX 250F here, if it helps. Should it be easy enough to stick lights and a plate on ? Thing is would it be a bit pricey ...:thinking:

Thats great, I was thinking the same thing myself. I didn't know it was so easy, you could do some custom work and change out plastics with like KLX-R plastics and get what you want for the most part. I really don't know though.

James

Staff member
I'd personally say it's more work then it's worth. Why no just get the KLX250F

Static-10LX250S_44JLIMDRF2CG_C.jpg

Or the KLX250SF?

2009-Kawasaki-KLX250SF-bike-wallpapers.jpg

You could do the cut and mount. I'm confused on how you'd mount a stator/battery though. Everything else seems easy.

I could be wrong butttt I'm 99.99999% sure all bikes have stator's AND he wouldn't need a battery, he could get by, by just using AC compatible electronics.

I'm with James, Buy a DS or something easier/more suitable for DS, an MX bike wouldn't be a good DS... And if your thinking a DS/MXer than realize that you'll either be buying tires weekly if you actually ride on the road at all or you'll be doing 360's in the turns cause your tires are made for tar... And you'll be changing gearing everytime you go to/come from the track...

I'd personally say it's more work then it's worth. Why no just get the KLX250F

Static-10LX250S_44JLIMDRF2CG_C.jpg

Or the KLX250SF?

2009-Kawasaki-KLX250SF-bike-wallpapers.jpg

:rocker:

I want onea those. More so the 250f just because it's DS and not road only.

Ok thanks guys, its just im not going to be racing or on tracks, i have fields id like to bomb it round ! Now i know i have been told since i have my own land i should get a trail bike, but i find mx bikes more fun because their just faster and more powerful ! It's just il need a bike i can drive to University or college eventually.. Unless there is a trailbike as fast as a kx 250f, KTM exc-f 350 mabe ??:thinking:

I could be wrong butttt I'm 99.99999% sure all bikes have stator's AND he wouldn't need a battery, he could get by, by just using AC compatible electronics.

You're right all dirt bikes have stators...but I don't think a standard stator on a dirt bike will have give off enough current to run a headlight, tail light and turn signals. I think you have to change the electronics to a beefer stator. I am thinking for his application he could also use kx450x lights more easily than that of a KLX.

I also don't think in every state you need turn signals either. I think in KY hand signals might be all you have to comply with but you will have to change dirt tires to DOT rated tires.

I am like you dude. I would rather convert a dirt bike over more, since the suspension is so much better for off road than that of a KLX.