RM250 rm250 starting issues

ok .. well i got my 93 rm250 ..got it in a trade... was supposed to run... but it wouldnt when i got it...i tore most of the bike apart to check bearings and brakes and everything everything seems tight... i checked the compression it was at 150...but my compression tester had a leak... so i figured thats good... suzuki doesnt specify whats good or bad..... i cleaned the carb... switched out fresh gas..lubed up everything really good... put a new plug in it...br8eg... and it fired up... ran bad... so i finally got my owners manual and realized the pilot screw was turned out over 10 turns....i adjust that... and the idle ... and then bike seems to run great... but couldnt ride it becouse of the snow... so finally the other day i get on it and kicked it for 30 mins... 2 other guys kicked on it some too.. i pulled it down the road with my truck and it fired right up.... i let it sit there and warm up and took of fianally... it screams... but about a mile down the rode it dies... ive put 3 new plugs in it and it kills them... completly... there not oil fould from what i can tell........ then i look in my book and see it requires a r4118s-8 plug... and that dude is like 20 bucks... ii ordered one just to see if that is my problem... but if there a cheaper plug i can run ... or will this 20 dollar plug last longer...

Wow that ws along post.... any out there have a 93... or any info on the plug...thanks everyone :D..

also if anyone has any aftermartket parts cheap lemme know :D

That plug is not your problem. The reason for the high dollar plug is because of the electrode, not a fouling issue. On a standard plug, the electrode had a bad tendency of breaking off due to the vibration of the motor. You know how those zooks make HP:smirk:. The broken electrode would then beat the top end to death. That rarely happens, but it happened enough that Suzuki decided the high dollar plug with the solid one piece electrode was the fix.

I would do another compression test with a good tester and see what the results are. I would also check the jetting. I don't know your location is, what are the temps in the area, what is your elevation? Do you know what jets are in your bike?

Make sure you have a good clean air filter. Try kicking it with the filter out. Don't run it long with out the filter. Sometimes a clogged filter can't let enough air through to start it or run it correctly once it is started. Too much fuel and not enough air will foul a plug. I know you said you cleaned you carb but did you make sure there is nothing clogging the jets? One tiny particle in the pilot jet can cause all kinds issues. Also, make sure you set your float height.

Also, when is the last time you repacked your silencer? Take off the head pipe and make sure it is not loaded up. I mean with premix. If kick and kick and kick on one, sometimes you can have a excess build up of premix in the pipe and that will cause problems. Along with a clogged silencer.

If you have 150 bucks, through a top end in it for the hell of it. Troubleshooting all other issues will help tremendously if you have a good fresh top end.:thumb:

i have not messed with the silencer..... when these plugs foul out there not oily or anything.. ... im prety sure the compression is fine.. but i will try to get a new tester and check it... im thinkin about tearing the top end off and checking over that.. might ever over haul it.... i had read that about the plug prob .. just didnt know if that was the only reason...

i have not messed with the silencer..... when these plugs foul out there not oily or anything.. ... im prety sure the compression is fine.. but i will try to get a new tester and check it... im thinkin about tearing the top end off and checking over that.. might ever over haul it.... i had read that about the plug prob .. just didnt know if that was the only reason...

This is the first thing I would do as it is easier and cheaper in this order.

Oh and what are you mixing your premix at and what octane fuel are you using?

1. Take off air filter and clean and or replace.
2. Take off carb and remove jets, note what jets are and inspect and clean.
3. set float height.
4. install new plug.
5. remove pipe, inspect and clean out if necessary.
6. Take off silencer and repack.
7. compression test.
8. install new top end.

Do these things in this order and report your findings and we go from there.

ok i think my high speed jet was 170 ... i remember that much from when i cleaned the carb when i got it...when i got the bike the carb was way out of adjustments.. i think i got it pretty close.. now.. i dont know what jetts i need but i think my elevation is like 400.. does that sound right...

the air filter is like brand new... but its dry as a bone... its a twin air...

ive never cleaned or repacked an exhaust system.. but im sure i can... the repacking is prolly just straightforward....
but what about cleaning the header..(or you 2 stroke boys call it somthing else :naughty: )... lol....how do i clean it

I would just make sure it is not loaded up with premix, if it loaded with carbon you can use a small torch and flat tip screw driver to get that out. Go to bike shop and by the packing only about 15 bucks. take it apart and install new. you will also need hi temp silicon to reseal.

ok.... im guessing that stuff is pretty universal... i dont have a suzuki shop near me... its about hour and a half away... but theres a honda and kawie dealer about 30mins away... im guessing its all about the same

well...put the new plug in.. kicked it half a million times...it fired up... ran like a champ...never fouled the plug...rode it through town:naughty: a few times...

my owners manual says the main jet is supposed to be a 180... it has a 170... im guessing the 170 is leaner...i dunno...it runs good... but i dont have anything to compare it to...

well...put the new plug in.. kicked it half a million times...it fired up... ran like a champ...never fouled the plug...rode it through town:naughty: a few times...

my owners manual says the main jet is supposed to be a 180... it has a 170... im guessing the 170 is leaner...i dunno...it runs good... but i dont have anything to compare it to...
yes the 170 is leaner, but if you are in a high elevation, then that is what is needed...If it is running good, leave it. Since you are a smoker, make sure you are getting some smoke out the back. If not, you are too lean.

so what color is the core of you plug, if it is black that means rich, if it is ashy white the too lean. if it is a coco brown then it is right.

well i aint ran it long enough to get a color on any of the other plugs.... they would stop firing about 5 mins into the ride....not be oily or anything... it would just cut off... (this was with the br9es)... i went throught 3 of them.. i just put a new r4118s-8 in it now... and it running fine... ill ride it a little bit more tomorow and pull the plug

i mixed the gas 32:1... 93 octane shell fuel.... and i used penzoil synthetic 2stroke oil.... same schitt i premix my boat with... boat loves it... i figured the bike might :D... haha