RM250 rm250 starting issues

Some questions for you. Your head pipe (header), is it stock? What condition are your reeds in? Are they stock? Do you have the original 1993 suzuki RM 250 service manual? This will tell you everything that you need based on elevation and air temp for jetting your bike. Just for general knowledge its been my experience that unless ordered other wise. All new bikes come jetted for sea level. Your only at 400 feet. For starters Id find out what your pilot (slow) jet is supposed to be and get one if you dont have one. You say that the stock main (speed) jet is a 180. Pull the carb again (I know:foul:) and look to see where the jet needle is set at. Stock position for the clip that holds it in place is in the middle of the 5 slots at the top of the needle. Put it there. Now with a 170 main jet your gonna be close if the exhaust is 100% stock. I'd get a 180 main jet and put that in and also ensure that your pilot jet is the stock size also. By the way Jets are cheap even from the bike dealers. Should be less than $5.00 a piece. Now verify that your head pipe is clean like mentioned. Repack your silencer. If its a stock silencer I dont recall if you can take it apart with out having to drill out any rivets. There should be 2-4 screws or allen head type screws that hold the pipe into place. If not I would recommend getting an after marker silencer. FMF or Pro Circuit both make quality pipes. I run FMF exhaust on my 92 RM 250 and it performs great. To prove that I have a video in the picture and video threads. Anyway Repack and clean the silencer your engine will thank you.

Now that youve got your jetting squared away, Jet needle adjusted, air screw adjusted properly, lets talk about your pre mix oil. I tried running 2 stroke outboard engine oil and my bike didnt like it. Your bikes engine and the outboard engine are both 2 strokes. However they are 2 different animals. Run a quality dirt bike 2 stroke pre mix oil. Suzuki CCI is what is recommended. I have run it and it works good. But I run Klotz Super Techniplate that has 20% castor mixed with the synthetic oil. Ive never seen a cleaner top end when it comes time to do a top end. But thats just me. Red Line also makes a quality synthetic 2 stroke oil. Everybody in here has there own personal favorites for there own reason. But if you want to follow your manual the Suzuki CCI is what you should use. Your spark plugs. Yes I know what your thinking $20 a pop is kinda spendy and I feel the same way. I run these kind of NGK plugs write these down you can buy 2 of each to try for less than the OEM type. All of these are NGK plugs B8EG, BP7ES, and Iridium BR8EIX. The first number in the part number is the heat of the plug. The lower the number the hotter the plug. The higher the number the cooler the plug. This part number plug r4118s-8 is a resistor type plug. I hate them. I am currently running the BP7ES and have been for the last 6 month and it works great. But dont do it because I said so.

Now with all this being said. Get your bike carb tuned for sea level 0 ft to about 1200 ft is considered sea level. Run a quality pre mix at 32:1. This should help you greatly and you manual will tell you what you need for the elevations and temp you ride at. Granted most of it is guide lines for a completely stock bike. If you have a complete after market exhaust and reed set up your jetting will be a little leaner. Typically one size down on the pilot, and one sometimes two downon the main, and up or down on the jet needle. Plus you need to ensure that your floats are adjusted correctly. Also you may need to replace your needle jet (not to be confused with the jet needle. Make sure its not worn. It should have a smooth taper with no grooves from where it sits. A clean air filter I cannot stress this on enough.

Now if none of this info works I clearly dont know what Im talking about................... Or you need a new top end or.............. You may need to take your cylinder off and get it replated. I had mine done last year. Best thing I ever did to my engine. But lets hope you dont have to do that. Its kinda spendy. Anywhere from $250-$500 depending on where you send it and what you have done. If this stuff works out for you listen to your engine it will tell you what it wants. Read your plug it will help you determine if your too rich or lean. Too lean the bike will make lots of power and then fall on its face. To rich and it will blubber. Trust me you will know what Im talking about when it happens.

Good luck to you in your trouble shooting

All these guys are on the right page....
at 150 psi for compression you're way too low... which is why you have to jump start the bike.... Also get that filter oiled its creating a lean condition in a carb that is already too lean in the jetting dept. Which is why you are dry fouling plugs. dry fouling comes from over heating the plug and it burns out the core. luckily you haven't siezed your top end yet, probably because the worn topend is allowing extra premix and blow by...... you'll get it straightened out!

Good post 2smoke!

its got stock pipes on it... and im guessing stock reeds...however there is a boysen reeds sticker on it...prolly just part of a sticker kit or something...but i will pull them out and check them when i see what jet size i have...

the 150 on compression was with a broken comp gauge...

i will pick up the packing sometime this week when i can get a chance to go get it...

ya i have to drill the rivits out on the silencer ... might try to find a use pipe of some kind...i dont want to sink alot of money into this jewel yet becouse i dont really know how much im going to be able to ride it..

thanks alot guys :D

Your damb right its a jewel!!!:thumb: Your bike is only a year younger than mine and they are great machines even for their age. But bringing your bike back to good health might be expensive. I paid $750 for mine. Not including all the little odds and ends Im almost or just over what I paid for it. The cylinder replating was the most expensive $500 but that included shipping both ways and a new topend kit with gaskets. Then I bought a FMF turbin Core sparky silencer $100. Boyesen Rad Valve $160. New FMF Fatty head pipe $200. Just with these 4 things Ive exceeded what I paid for the bike. Then you throw in expendable items. Fork seals, wipers and fork oil. New air cleaner. Front and rear fenders. Tires and tubes:rant: Oh my god. Gear box oil, pre mix, half dozen or so of main jets, pilot jets. Carb cleaner. The list goes on and on and on. :blah: Dirt bikes are as bad or worse then boats. Boat stands for bust out another thousand. I have one of those too. Ive invested more in my bike in the last three years just in up keep and replacement parts ect than I have in 6 years of owning my boat.

Its an expensive hobby. But dont give up on it just because its going to cost a little bit of money to get it going. If I remember correctly you got your bike on a trade. So really your not out any money on the investment. So if you have to sink 500 to 800 into it to get her worthy of being her original self I say its worth it. But what can I say Im a DIRT BIKE ADDICT!:thumb::ride:

If there is anything else I can help you with I will share what ever knowledge I have with you. I dont know everything but I know enough to keep this little gem running like it was new.

Here is some good info for you. Its kinda hard to follow but good info none the less. Dont be to worried about the bad thing that are said about your year bike. Your bike is old enough that some of those things have likely been repaired or replaced.

http://www.eric-gorr.com/pdfs/model tuning tips.pdf

Once the link has loaded up you want to go to page 37 and 38 of 56. You'll figure it out.

@mihylo .... The comp gauge had a leak in the fitting...im sure its going to be over 150.. just dont know how much.. but i will pick up a new one soon to get a correct reading...

@2smoke.. ya i did some trading around buying and selling.. and only have about 200 bucks actual cash in the bike and all the stuff ive bought for it so far...but ive got alot of labor hours in mechanic work on a truck that i traded for it.... so i dont have any problems with putting money into it.. but i just cant justify putting cash into it right now(but i still might ).. im going to try to limp it through the winter becouse i know i wont ride it much ... and im going to just slowly redoing all the wheel bearings and little stuff... and then in the summer i will go through the engine...

The bike is super clean i couldnt beleive how clean the engine and everything was.. i have yet to pull the head off it..to see how internals are

does anyone have a close up picture of there kickstarter...i beleive this bike has some kind of aftermarket kick starter... i hate the thing..lol... im used to a steel kick starter that my foot will stay on... i guess my years off the bikes and killing me now lol.

Thanks everyone.... ive learned more about this bike in a few days from this forum than i learned on 3 other forums in like 4 weeks

You guys are shi :thumb:

Post a pick of your kick start so we can see, but if you look back at 2smokes pics in this thread maybe it will tell you if yours looks like his.

Ya.. i tried... i think its different than mine... i will get a pic on mine when i get home... i really think its just me.. not used to the bike yet....

Oh ya... After i put the new plug in it... oil'd the filter..it started up with the kick starter .. after i kicked it like 50 times... let it warm up for a few mins... road it around for about 15 mins... shut it down... it started back up with but i still had to use the choke to start it (i need to get the other jets.. and let the carb soak some more im guessing)...but after i shut it down i parked it... 24 hours later... i kicked it maybe 10 times.. and it started right up.. after it warmed up it was running perfect..(didnt get to ride it though it was pouring rain)

ya thats what i hear :wink:... i dont know anything about jetting bikes...i know racing mud trucks.. you can really adjust on the fly... but these carbs have not too much adjustability..

ive got another question

My throttle piston ...on the backside(pointing toward filter) the piston has some scoring... but the carb did not... what caused this... do i need to replace it...... its not really bad if i recall... but i seen in the manual to replace it if it is scored... i didnt know if this something i need to do also??

Jetting isnt hard. At first it seems like an impossible task to figure out. I really struggled with jetting at first. But after doing it a few times Ive found that everytime I did it, it just got easier. Now I dont really think about it I just do it. As I stated before follow your manual on you jetting and tuning your carb. I know for a fact that the Suzuki service manual has a section on general jetting info based on elevation and air temp. Once youve done it a few times the light will come on and youll be like what was the big deal.

Throttle Piston???? It sounds like what your talking about is the carb slide. Its kinda square shaped and is attached to your throttle cable?? A little scoring is normal based on the age of your bike. Mine had some. Get some crokus cloth (super super fine sand paper like 400 grit or finer) and GENTLY blend out the scoring. Or you could try to find a replacement part for it. Ive tried to find one for my bike but didnt have any success but I didnt look that hard. Thats pretty much the down side to owning bikes as old as yours an mine. The older they are the harder parts are to come by. E bay would probably be your best bet to find any of the hard parts to get at a bike shop or online parts dealer. The only down side to E bay parts is that they are more times than not used and the condition is questionable as the seller wont show enough photos.

Its to bad your bike is a year older than mine. Ive got a gently used FMF head pipe that I would sell to you for real cheap. Its got some cosmetic dings in it but nothing that would affect performance. I think in 93 they changed the bend angles of how the exhaust is routed. Im gonna do some research and see if I cant hook you up.

Well after a little bit of research my head pipe will not fit your bike. It was worth a shot.

ok.. thanks smoke... ill look too!! got any other gently used parts you want to get rid that would fit im interested:D..

i have a clymer manual... covers the 80-250... has helped me out alot... i aint looked through the jetting section.. i dont even know if it has one.. but it showed my the stock size jets i did look that up...

ok from what ive found.. in my short search..... the 93 and 94 have different head pipes... but the silencer is the same from 93-95... ...FML...lol

ok im going to go pick up some jets today.. any recomendations lol...... im guessing a 178..180..or 185...and slow jet a 52 or 55... thats just a couple that ive read about so far..