Rims

Well today at the track i noticed my back excel rim has 2 cracks. same spot on both sides. I cant say if i did it at KM or if it was at the track today.

One side.
eupvz8.jpg

the other side
kdtk77.jpg

so DBA i need your expert advice... what rim should i start looking at. id like to know what you guys would get in three categorys...

your poor and need the cheapest one you can get
your not poor or rich and need something good but wont break the bank
you jsut hit the lottery and money is not the issue and you want the best you can buy.

Thanks in advance and much roost will be given for solid reply's

hahaha, my bad. i read that wrong, didn't realize you wanted brands. :bonk:
maybe excel has a warranty? if not, moose and warp 9 make some good rims.

I have heard that Excel has different levels/quality of rims. It was something like the cheaper ones were sold as stock on bikes and their better ones were the after markets. Also the older DID rim is supposed to be the tuffest, but i cant remeber the model of it. It has a large curved surface with more meat to it.

If you can afford it get another Excel. I am very impressed with what my aftermarket Excels have put up with. They were on my bike when I got it and they have taken 10 years of abuse. On my older bikes I killed every stock rim that I have ever had.

Never had much luck with welding. It just cracks again either at the same spot or somewhere else.

Ebay is the best source for a cheap rim. About the only variable is the size of the holes for the spoke nipples. I discovered this when a friend had to replace a front rim and the ebay one had holes that were too small. Freaking KTM. We just drilled them out.

If you can afford it get another Excel. I am very impressed with what my aftermarket Excels have put up with. They were on my bike when I got it and they have taken 10 years of abuse. On my older bikes I killed every stock rim that I have ever had.

Never had much luck with welding. It just cracks again either at the same spot or somewhere else.

Ebay is the best source for a cheap rim. About the only variable is the size of the holes for the spoke nipples. I discovered this when a friend had to replace a front rim and the ebay one had holes that were too small. Freaking KTM. We just drilled them out.

thanks for the post i will look into getting a better excel. i guess the stock ones do suck then huh :/

so i went to a couple shops and asked about rims. I was told that excel does not warranty their rims and will pretty much give you the :finger: if something happens. On the other hand i was told that the WARP 9's they WILL replace your rim if something happens to it. I priced em at around 90 - 100 bucks for JUST the rim. One guy at the shop says he runs em and never has had any issue with em. They also come in colors :banana: so right now im leaning towards a Warp 9.

Unless you guys can tell me why i should NOT get one i might order one through a DBA supported ad and get a 10% discount.

Yeah I don't know much about warp 9, I know excel has the a60 which is supposed to be one ofthe strongest wheels from what I heard. I'm pretty sure the procircuit kawi team is using them. The only thing I don't like about them is the line that goes around it and the price is a little higher than normal.

Yeah I don't know much about warp 9, I know excel has the a60 which is supposed to be one ofthe strongest wheels from what I heard. I'm pretty sure the procircuit kawi team is using them. The only thing I don't like about them is the line that goes around it and the price is a little higher than normal.

yea ive read good thigns about the A60 on the net.

my problem now is this... all the shops near me want 100+ to lace up a new rim and i cant for the life of me find a shop that sells just the rim and hub laced up... they all sell complete sets disc and sprocket and tahts from 350-400.

also ebay is worthless. They are the same price as shops.

Yeah eBay is worthless people gobble up the good stuff before you can get to it. I would just use your old spokes and go on YouTube and learn how to lace and true a wheel. You'll save a lot of money in the long run doing it yourself. I have seen many people with homemade trueing stands so it's possible :thumb:

Yeah eBay is worthless people gobble up the good stuff before you can get to it. I would just use your old spokes and go on YouTube and learn how to lace and true a wheel. You'll save a lot of money in the long run doing it yourself. I have seen many people with homemade trueing stands so it's possible :thumb:

i wish i could just use caliber brakes to true the MX wheel like you can with MTB's :lol:

i think what im gonna end up doing is buying a new set and then eventually buying just a rim and lacing it up myself like you said... cause i DO want an extra rear wheel for that quick paddle swap. I havent gone yet but back in teh day i LOVED glammis so i can see myself going in the future and a paddle is almost a must.