Pro Reed Black flagged

We don't want to hurt any feelings though.
Still had a couple of small draw backs, mainly Yamaha things, like lacking the stopping power of the brakes on a honda.

Note: I've never owned a YZ250 personally, rode plenty of them though
The only difference in the brakes that I could find was the early hose routing. It consistently seemed to catch air, and the rage was to do a honda routing on it. We had both the cr and yz of the era and bled really good you couldnt tell the difference with forks that matched, which seemed to be another thing that probably made the honda seem like it stopped better on the front, was that it seemed softer from the factory and you felt the affect. The hose routing was actually patented.

Seems like they had a season or two where most of the front runners were on 4 strokes in the Nats, and back on the two strokes for SX.

He was on a 2 stroke. Look at the pic I posted with him and McGrath. He is also on a 2 stroke

Honda wanted Jeremy McGrath back on a Honda and back on a supercross track so badly!!! I was at anaheim where he probably got his last win (it was a semi main at that) and it was a pretty contested win. The crowd got into it and was cheering like he was holding onto to a main even win. from the "podium" he sounded like he was tearing up as he thanked the crowd and said he could hear them and was grateful. Heck, I almost forgot what a WHINER he was throughout what was a fantastic career.

Last edited:
I am trying to think of someone besides Jeff Ward and Jeff Stanton who didnt seem to show that side of themselves. If you look into the other forms of motorcycle racing you can hardly find a successful racer who didn't have it. Jeremy McGrath was winning so much for so long he just stands out in my memory more. As much as you want to see a guy like that get his records broken, when the press started handing them out to a certain rider lol, you all of a sudden get defensive for the original whiner.

I am trying to think of someone besides Jeff Ward and Jeff Stanton who didnt seem to show that side of themselves. If you look into the other forms of motorcycle racing you can hardly find a successful racer who didn't have it. Jeremy McGrath was winning so much for so long he just stands out in my memory more. As much as you want to see a guy like that get his records broken, when the press started handing them out to a certain rider lol, you all of a sudden get defensive for the original whiner.
I think when these guys whine or make an emotional mistake (like Reed last weekend) it shows they're still human, and at least for Reed, that it still pisses him off to not be up front and there might still be a fire under his ass. I'll take that over "Thanks to Red Bull, KMC Wheels, Nitto tires, the KTM was running great blah blah blah."

I agree, I guess for me its that I'm not the youngest generation of mx/sx race fan anymore, alot of the new keyboard jockeys don't remember watching Carmichael school Stewart, Reed, overthrow McGrath. Same for McGraths 72 wins.....

I think that was what I was trying to say with the frustration showing through. Switch to football and a man who everyone one considered a true example as a quaterback (Roger Staubach). Roger punched a young quarterback who came into the game at the last second for Dallas to win a game. Later the friction pushed Roger Staubach to that point. (Clint Longley i believe was his name.)

Last edited:
I think that was what I was trying to say with the frustration showing through. Switch to football and a man who everyone one
considered a true example as a
quaterback (Roger Staubach). Roger
punched a young quarterback who
came into the game at the last second
for Dallas to win a game. Later the
friction pushed Roger Staubach to that
point. (Clint Longley i believe was his
name.)

I believe that was early 70's thanksgiving game against Minnesota, on a hail Mary play.

I think that was what I was trying to say with the frustration showing through. Switch to football and a man who everyone one considered a true example as a quaterback (Roger Staubach). Roger punched a young quarterback who came into the game at the last second for Dallas to win a game. Later the friction pushed Roger Staubach to that point. (Clint Longley i believe was his name.)
I'm too young to remember it also. But, I am a football fan, and I thought it was Clint Longley who punched Staubach. It doesn't matter though. I don't think those two are dirtbikers.

I'm too young to remember it also. But, I am a football fan, and I thought it was Clint Longley who punched Staubach. It doesn't matter though. I don't think those two are dirtbikers.

:lol:

I'm waiting for some crazy off the wall pic involving a French lady and a can of creamed corn.