Reduced engine power

I miss actually having more tire than wheel.
I guess it depends on where you're driving.
If it's on asphalt, I want more wheel and less sidewall flex with a lower profile tire, like a 50-60 series, for better handling.
I prefer to let the new suspension technology take up slack where the 75-85 series tire ratio sidewalls couldn't...

If it's on asphalt, I want more wheel and less sidewall flex with a lower profile tire, like a 50-60 series, for better handling.
I prefer to let the new suspension technology take up slack where the 75-85 series tire ratio sidewalls couldn't...
I've lost count of how many of these rubber band tires I've seen shatter the wheel due to potholes.

Probably the one issue I hate the most to diagnose, reason being the codes that cause that message and also cause the vehicle to go into limp in mode can be set by an intermittent fault that is there for .5 seconds or more, and quite often the problem starts out as a once in a while thing, so try capturing a problem on a meter or scope that may only last a fraction of a second and occurs once in a while. The two most common repairs associated with this problem are repairing broken wires at or just before the throttle body assembly in the harness connector and TPS issues in the assembly which require replacing the Throttle body and performing a relearn in some cases.
I've done a lot of those throttle body plugs......

What is that extended cab looking thing? The one that is discolored and looks like it doesn't belong.
Is that custom? Is this body maybe mounted on a Suburban frame?
Yeah it's custom. Chevy didn't make an ext cab in '86. I loved it, got better than 8mpg but not much.

Chevy didn't make an ext cab in '86. I loved it, got better than 8mpg but not much.
I didn't think so.
I loved my 86 Blazer, but Chevy screwed up with a bunch of these things by putting in the 305. What better way to reduce your mileage by putting in an under-powered engine. The nice thing about them is it takes about 2 hours to drop in a 350. Man I did so many of those kinds of swaps back in the day I could've done one in my sleep.

The real fun one was when I took what I thought was a 305 out of my 78 Nova, put a set of rebuilt 305 heads on it, then shoe-horned it into my 81 Monza. When I brought it to emissions they said "we gotta check the numbers" and that was when I found out it wasn't a 305, but a 1972 400. That was a fast car, the Monzarati we called. I eventually twisted the frame on it.
I dont recall whatever happened to that car...

Ah the good ol' days. Drinking Old Milwaukee at midnight lying under a car on the garage floor with a turbo 350 on my chest...

Last edited:
"Limp-In Mode" or "Limp Home Mode" has been around since the 90's. Relates only to drivetrain components. (engine/trans)
It simply is there to protect the engine. Not the passengers.
If monitoring signals are not within parameters the engine will protect itself. Typically you will lose power and she'll slow to a crawl. I have had this happen on an 1999 thunderbird 4.6l. Reduced to 30mph on the freeway. But it got to the gas station, which is the point. It "limped home." -BIG DAN:thumb:

OH!!! " Limp in mode" meant something entirely different when I used to find myself waking up in strange places!!

I didn't think so.
I loved my 86 Blazer, but Chevy screwed up with a bunch of these things by putting in the 305. What better way to reduce your mileage by putting in an under-powered engine. The nice thing about them is it takes about 2 hours to drop in a 350. Man I did so many of those kinds of swaps back in the day I could've done one in my sleep.

The real fun one was when I took what I thought was a 305 out of my 78 Nova, put a set of rebuilt 305 heads on it, then shoe-horned it into my 81 Monza. When I brought it to emissions they said "we gotta check the numbers" and that was when I found out it wasn't a 305, but a 1972 400. That was a fast car, the Monzarati we called. I eventually twisted the frame on it.
I dont recall whatever happened to that car...

Ah the good ol' days. Drinking Old Milwaukee at midnight lying under a car on the garage floor with a turbo 350 on my chest...

The vibration damper didnt tip you off?

Yeah it's custom. Chevy didn't make an ext cab in '86. I loved it, got better than 8mpg but not much.

I have a 93 gmc svc body that outlived it's usefullness for my business. A friend has it on his lot, in the back. 1ton dually single cab 454. I have a project in mind for it, so it is just waiting. 7-8 mpg but overgrossed at 12k it still kept up with traffic uphill. Tank empty it would surprise people who wanted to change lanes in front of you as the light changed.

A reason I am not a fan of the new trucks and like my 06. I only heard of this on the diesels myself when the clean diesel fluid is low. Too many sensors in the cars today. I had the engine light come on once when pulling my big azz 5th wheel, but that was the high flow air sensor going south, had it changed, replaced the air filter every 6 months and no issues since.

Hope you figure this out.

Ditto on the diesel reconsideration. When you have to buy fertilizer for it, I am really hesitant to buy it. I am even less impressed with the turbo'd v6 concoctions so far.

The vibration damper didnt tip you off?
Nah, that was back when I was 16 and just started working on cars. I suppose if I had any experience back then the siamesed coolant ports between the cylinders could have tipped me off as well.

Nah, that was back when I was 16 and just started working on cars. I suppose if I had any experience back then the siamesed coolant ports between the cylinders could have tipped me off as well.
yeah, there isn't much space in there. I didnt meet one of the 400 blocks bare until after I had changed two 350's over to the 400 crank and rods. We used to have to buy an additional balancing weight for the flywheel end.

I look at it by what I am using the rig for and what it was intended for. I see old impalas riding on rubber that requires the owner to check pressures before exiting a parking lot. I have my hobbies, and the owner of such a vehicle has his own with that combination. trying to make my pickup turn like I would expect an awd drive sedan to turn like is silly to me, so I just keep the rubber on the three that I own that makes them work like a pickup that either hauls toys or hauls work loads is required to.

we can talk all we want about newer suspension technology, but feeling dime sized things in the road is not a positive for me on a daily driver. hell my old proline cart has more rubber between the rim and pavement than some of the stuff the oe sends now.