250 Rebuilding KX250

First I dont like grease, but the manual is never really wrong. If you decide to use grease (some call for motor oil, some for the same oil in your premix on the main seals) the dab method would be my choice. swab if you wish. i would go with a light coat on both. extra grease, particularly a high heat one can end up blocking what should be going to the bearing. (oil.) it is like anything including gasket sealer, minimal amounts in most cases

First I dont like grease, but the manual is never really wrong. If you decide to use grease (some call for motor oil, some for the same oil in your premix on the main seals) the dab method would be my choice. swab if you wish. i would go with a light coat on both. extra grease, particularly a high heat one can end up blocking what should be going to the bearing. (oil.) it is like anything including gasket sealer, minimal amounts in most cases
That makes a lot of sense actually.... Thank you for shedding light on this

I hadn't thought about it that way, I would have figured the manual wants it there for initial start up but that doesn't make sense either since it should be oil bath.

Thataboy!

Light grease, NEVER heavy...
High heat just to protect against heating cases. Will not run off at 320-400 deg. Wipe it clean once you install bearings. I don't do this on Yamaha motors because they were smart and seals are exterior exposed from the case. I do use a light coat of lithium on the lip (manual states it)

Last edited:
the only inner seals i have seen on motorcycle engines were oval cased husqvarnas. those actually served a really good purpose and were only put on the output side of the engine. that arrangement exposed that side to oil from the transmission rather than the mist oiling that comes from premix.