Pro Pro bikes

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that quote more for pro racing? Most people don't give a rip on what type of bike the local kid won on, but now a pro..... :smirk:

:prof: That language doesn't include variable ignition mapping. :noidea:

Variable ignition mapping is a electronic device.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that quote more for pro racing? Most people don't give a rip on what type of bike the local kid won on, but now a pro..... :smirk:

Actually, I got that quote from one the TV commentaries on NASCAR. Ned Jarrett, I believe it was that said it. Nascar races on Sundays and Saturdays but mostly Sunday's and that is where I heard it from anyway.

James

Staff member
Variable ignition mapping is a electronic device.
:noidea: So is the
a. Electronic devices designed specifically for traction control are
prohibited. This includes sensors that can determine front
wheel speed, and any electronic control to the brake systems.
I'd say that variable ignition mapping is in the grey area. It isn't "traction control", however it can retard the engine power so that you're less likely to have wheel spin (during starts).

I think that the argument would be is it defined as "traction control" or not.

James

Staff member
Actually, I got that quote from one the TV commentaries on NASCAR. Ned Jarrett, I believe it was that said it. Nascar races on Sundays and Saturdays but mostly Sunday's and that is where I heard it from anyway.
:thumb: I've only heard it in MX, but then again I'm not a real big NASCAR junkie. :P

:thinking: Aren't all the NASCAR cars pretty much the same? Does it really matter if the car with the Chevy or Ford sticker wins? :smirk:

I wonder what "launch mode" really is. I have a feeling that the AMA will need to amend the rules. You see I don't think that you need a wheel sensor or ABS like brake control to "cheat." Your CDI should be able to sense the rear wheel breaking loose by RPM changes and make adjustments to the spark and fuel injection to modulate the torque output. As far as I'm concerned that is against the intent of the AMA rules. The question is how do you find it. It would be completely in the programming of the CDI and/or fuel injection controller and how is that supposed to be policed. I mean you can always disassemble and engine to verify displacement. That's clear cut and straightforward. How do you verify the electronic engine controls?

Let the new era of assisted hole shots begin. Who knows, maybe it's already been going on for years...

James

Staff member
Let the new era of assisted hole shots begin. Who knows, maybe it's already been going on for years...
That wouldn't surprise me.

I forget where I saw it, but yeah like you'd said you don't even need a rear wheel sensor for "traction control". They were talking about how you can "hide" everything inside the engine.

:thumb: I've only heard it in MX, but then again I'm not a real big NASCAR junkie. :P

:thinking: Aren't all the NASCAR cars pretty much the same? Does it really matter if the car with the Chevy or Ford sticker wins? :smirk:

yeah, nowa days they all have to pretty much be same to level out the playing Field by fitting roof and side car templates but the motors are Ford, GM and Toyota motors. Back in the day they were actually the factory cars that where simply modified to run faster and where the term Stock car racing came from. National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR)

James

Staff member
yeah, nowa days they all have to pretty much be same to level out the playing Field by fitting roof and side car templates but the motors are Ford, GM and Toyota motors. Back in the day they were actually the factory cars that where simply modified to run faster and where the term Stock car racing came from. National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR)
Now it should be called TWTMMW racing. BTW that stands for Team With The Most Money Wins. :P

Just heard villapoto on a pod cast and he did say that forks, shocks, and motor are out of the 2011 bike. The frame, plastics and air box are 2012.

One cool thing about MX is that the bike you can buy at the showroom is actually pretty close to the bike that the factory teams race. Sure there are changes, but it's nothing like most other forms of racing. For example NASCAR has the words "stock car" in it. There is nothing stock about NASCAR.

James

Staff member
One cool thing about MX is that the bike you can buy at the showroom is actually pretty close to the bike that the factory teams race. Sure there are changes, but it's nothing like most other forms of racing. For example NASCAR has the words "stock car" in it. There is nothing stock about NASCAR.
Very true, heck wasn't Ivan even running a stock suspension in supercross (revalved of course)?
/\/\/\/\ THIS!!! see I knew I heard what I heard, you hear what I am saying:smirk:
Looks like Mike's gone into hiding. :smirk:

Just heard villapoto on a pod cast and he did say that forks, shocks, and motor are out of the 2011 bike. The frame, plastics and air box are 2012.

why bother then? whats the point of saying your running a 2012 bike if you are only runing BNG from the 2012?

J-dawg- Jax..... I know what I tghought I heard, not in hiding... just busy...