Pro Pro bikes

Hi guys,
Do the pros like Dungey, Roczen, Villipoto use next year's bikes ? Like last year did they use 2011 bikes and this year their using 2012 bikes ?

James

Staff member
Hi guys,
Do the pros like Dungey, Roczen, Villipoto use next year's bikes ? Like last year did they use 2011 bikes and this year their using 2012 bikes ?
No they use current year bikes. For example they'll stick with the 2011 model for the rest of the year and hop on the 2012 for Supercross next year. There's a lot of testing that goes on with new bikes and it'd be tough switching bikes in the middle of a season.

Not to mention the fact that there is a huge amount of R&D (modifications) that go into and on to the following year bikes. Some of the pro riders ride and race off the show room floor bikes that are set up for the rider but more or less bone stock. There is not much stock about any of the big name riders bikes like Dungey, Villapoto, Stewart, etc.

Whenever Grant Langston won his last AMA MX championship he finished the season on the next year bike, I believe theres a rule set on there must be a minimum number of the bike in dealerships before it can be raced.

James

Staff member
Not to mention the fact that there is a huge amount of R&D (modifications) that go into and on to the following year bikes. Some of the pro riders ride and race off the show room floor bikes that are set up for the rider but more or less bone stock. There is not much stock about any of the big name riders bikes like Dungey, Villapoto, Stewart, etc.
:thumb: I remember Josh Grant talking about the new yz450f and how he'd never ridden it stock. :lol:

I think Carmichael ran what he called a basicly stock motor on his RM...
Us mere mortals will never get the motors and suspension upgrades the "Factory" guys get. Its all done with off the shelf parts but its the "know how" on how it all comes together and all the little micro machining involved to get it right on the borderline of legal...
AMA rule book says along the lines that the bike must have an owners manual so yes they have raced next years bike... I think RV raced a kawi like that in 2010... not sure tho.

James

Staff member
AMA rule book says along the lines that the bike must have an owners manual so yes they have raced next years bike... I think RV raced a kawi like that in 2010... not sure tho.
I think his question was if for example they're using the 2012 kx250f right now (in the 2011 season). And for the top guys that's typically no, as they have to spend a lot of R&D time on getting the bikes setup like you'd mentioned.

They can't run the new models unless there is a certain amount in the show room. That's why no husky's, TM, or beta's in AMA. They are considered works bikes because they don't produce enough in a year to meet the rules. Also the first year Stewart rode a yamaha it still had a carb. All the rest already went to fuel injection and I believe the reason why is yamaha held off releasing that year and didn't put enough in the stores so he couldn't race one. Also you have to be able to buy all the parts on a factory bike in order for them to use them. So if you had deep enough pockets you could buy dungey's bike.

They can't run the new models unless there is a certain amount in the show room. That's why no husky's, TM, or beta's in AMA. They are considered works bikes because they don't produce enough in a year to meet the rules. Also the first year Stewart rode a yamaha it still had a carb. All the rest already went to fuel injection and I believe the reason why is yamaha held off releasing that year and didn't put enough in the stores so he couldn't race one. Also you have to be able to buy all the parts on a factory bike in order for them to use them. So if you had deep enough pockets you could buy dungey's bike.

I do believe that was mentioned in one of the last DB mag's write ups...They were showing pic's of racers factory rides and the caption under the pic of ? with his Husky that it was illegal...probably a good thing, he'd have smoked em all...You're asking yourself, so why was he there standing next to his bike, in his gear....:noidea: good question...I was wondering the same thing.

I think his question was if for example they're using the 2012 kx250f right now (in the 2011 season). And for the top guys that's typically no, as they have to spend a lot of R&D time on getting the bikes setup like you'd mentioned.

I guess my response was pretty vague...

yes, typically no, but it has happened.