Poison Oak - How can you tell where it is when riding?

You've got to be properly prepared and use your eyes. Usually I only get it when I don't see it. I've even waded through it. It can get on your clothes, you just have to prevent it from getting on your skin.
Out of eight of us I was the only one o get it.

I wore Long sleeve shirts and gloves. I can drive by it on the road with the windows down and get it.
 
Friggen poison oak. Got it again from cutting fire wood in the mountains. :mad: :picard:
you might be one of the people who are on the other end of the 10%er's the ones who are HIGHLY allergic to it. The same buddy who would get the shots didnt even have to touch the stuff. i swear, if the wind was blowing the right way he would get it.

edit: the window down comment is really no joke Rack... you sound just like my old friend... he got it SOOOO easy.. thats why when we did hikes he went to the dr before and got the shot. Apparently its frowned upon these days... did you ask your dr if there is anything they can do to help you prevent it ?
 
I think I might be a 10%er. Years back about 22 or 23 years back I was visiting a friend that lived in Chico. She took me to a place called Upper Park to this swimming hole called Bear or Bare Hole. It was a pretty good hike down to the water and we trampled through all kinds of brush and stuff. Never had a reaction. Though I might could have never touched the stuff either. Though when we got back to her place she made me shower with some (special?) soap just to be sure. Im not sure if we have any here where I live locally in the woods. But I dont think so.
 
There are people who are so allergic to it that they can literally get it without touching it. I'm not there, but I'm not too far away.

If those shots were cortisone then ya, don't expect your doc to give you unless you have extenuating circumstances . I wouldn't do it, because that crap is really rough on your body.
 
I think I might be a 10%er. Years back about 22 or 23 years back I was visiting a friend that lived in Chico. She took me to a place called Upper Park to this swimming hole called Bear or Bare Hole. It was a pretty good hike down to the water and we trampled through all kinds of brush and stuff. Never had a reaction. Though I might could have never touched the stuff either. Though when we got back to her place she made me shower with some (special?) soap just to be sure. Im not sure if we have any here where I live locally in the woods. But I dont think so.
i will get it if i touch the stuff and have it spread like crazy once i get it. One time tho i noticed that i rubbed my arm (bare skin) on poison oak. Went and washed it with regular soap and COLD water right away and never got. I got poison sumac a lot as a kid at my grandfathers house. one thing the DR always told me... dont wash with hot water when you get it... the hot water opens your poors and makes it spread more.
 
I'm a 10%er dont get any of it and niether does my kid... lucky us.... They say you are more prone to get things like allergies and what not if you live/work in controlled environments like hospiotols or office buildings and schools. I have spent 90% of my life outdoors so.. I guess that might be credible..:thinking:
 
Hey! We've got poison oak here on my property, and it's on the trees we cut for firewood, yaya. Of course ymmv on this, but I found out if i just douse myself with a lot of water ASAP after rolling in it, I'm okay. I do get the rash so I know I do get it(like I mean I'm not an immune person). SPring and summer seem to be when the oils are strongest and more of it being put out by the plant.

Try doing your job(cutting wood, riding) right after a long hard rain and see if that helps with exposure. I time when I have to work with it hacking it back for after rain(also in winter when no leaves), and it does make a big difference. I believe the rain washes the oils off so there isn't as much oil on the plant. I mean it's a theory, that seems to work for me. And there is a LOT of it here!

I have a few neighbors that also swear by the homeopathic remedy for poison oak. It's something you take regular that boosts your resistance to the reaction. I know it worked fabulous for one guy, he was terribly miserable and the stuff really worked for him. HTH!!!
 
I guess I could be immune to it. I'm in the woods all the time and I never pay attention to poison oak, and I've never had it.

I think you'd be fine if you're wearing riding gear!
 
I guess I could be immune to it. I'm in the woods all the time and I never pay attention to poison oak, and I've never had it.

I think you'd be fine if you're wearing riding gear!
Wrong! I get it even when wearing riding gear.
 
Top