Poison Oak - How can you tell where it is when riding?

Best way to tell if youve been through it or not is to get home, and rub your gear over your whole body. This should help you identify whether or not youve been through any.
 
Well I have it again. everytime I ride in this particular area I end up with some poison oak.:banghead:
The trouble with poison oak is that it gets everywhere. You may not have even come into contact with the actual plant. The oils it secretes get all in the dust around the plants. So, if youre sensitive to it like you are, then you will come home with it just from that sort of contact. My buddy was burning brush on his property a while back, just doing some simple control burns. He never touched any plants at all. He got it from head to toe, most likely just from the smoke. :foul:
 
Well I have it again. everytime I ride in this particular area I end up with some poison oak.:banghead:
you can go to the doctor before you go into the area and get a shot that will prevent it. I had a buddy i use to hike with that was highly allergic to it and he would pay is $5 copay and get a shot of some sort before we went and he was ok. might be something to look into or ask your doctor about.
 
you can go to the doctor before you go into the area and get a shot that will prevent it. I had a buddy i use to hike with that was highly allergic to it and he would pay is $5 copay and get a shot of some sort before we went and he was ok. might be something to look into or ask your doctor about.
I'm not aware of anything that will prevent it, but it can be treated with cortizone. It's not real good for you, but when I've had it really bad I choose that option. ot had to do it in about 20 years though. I'm real good about staying away from it.
 
Trav, I looked into that shot before myself. I'm thinking about getting one. I thought i remembered reading that there's a slim chance of it killing you :shocked: though... something to look into perhaps :noidea:
 
I'm not aware of anything that will prevent it, but it can be treated with cortizone. It's not real good for you, but when I've had it really bad I choose that option. ot had to do it in about 20 years though. I'm real good about staying away from it.
this was many years ago and i NEVER have gone and done it but like i said my buddy would go and get some kind of shot before we would hike and he wouldnt get it. one time he couldnt make it into the dr before we went and he though he could just wear a long sleeve flanal shirt... he got it big time.

could be milk... i honestly have not researched it i just know it does exist cause a buddy use to do it.
 
this was many years ago and i NEVER have gone and done it but like i said my buddy would go and get some kind of shot before we would hike and he wouldnt get it. one time he couldnt make it into the dr before we went and he though he could just wear a long sleeve flanal shirt... he got it big time.

could be milk... i honestly have not researched it i just know it does exist cause a buddy use to do it.
I'd love to know what that shot was. I know that I'm overdue for a good case of that hateful stuff.
 
It may still be available in some areas, but is very rarely used, because as with any preventative shot like this, the injection consists of minute amounts of the active oil, injected into the skin, allowing the body to build up its own natural immunity. Since people can be sensitive down to 1 nanogram of the oil, obviously its tough to guage where to start the injection levels,and then to get such a small quantity. Thus the reason people were dying from it. - quoted from Treatment Regimens - Viewer Suggestions for treating Poison Ivy, Oak, Sumac - (www.poisonivy.us)

i can't find the name of the shot off hand but they apparently don't like doing them because of the above reason :shocked:
 
plants
leaves of three...let them be!
snakes
red meets yellow, kill a fellow...red meets black, venom lack!
bikes
ride orange, see checkers...ride red, call the wreakers
trucks
drive bow tie, love your trucks....drive ford, cost you bucks
beers
drink BUD, fell like chit...drink anything else- ill take it...
:smirk:
 
I am immune to both Poison Oak and Poison Ivy. A good way to tell is to rub some on your "dice" and see if there is any reaction. If so, sooth with Chili pepper oil. :prof:
:thumb: That ought to do the trick...then rinse it with some gas and let it air dry, at first it'll give it a nice COOL feeling then:foul: :foul: :foul: :foul::
 
Friggen poison oak. Got it again from cutting fire wood in the mountains. :mad: :picard:
You've got to be properly prepared and use your eyes. Usually I only get it when I don't see it. I've even waded through it. It can get on your clothes, you just have to prevent it from getting on your skin.
 
Top